The Expanse - Season 5 launches!

WGH

The Expanse - Season 5 launches!
« on: 17 Dec 2020, 12:06 am »

The Expanse starts a new season on Prime, I'm ready! I read all the books.

Leviathan Falls, book 9 is scheduled to be released October 26, 2021

Folsom

Re: The Expanse - Season 5 launches!
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2020, 03:36 am »
High hopes!!!

Looooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww expectations... Season 4 was pretty meh.

TJHUB

« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2020, 03:51 am »
I just saw this tonight as well.  I have high hopes too!  Love series, but season 4 was like there was absolutely no budget to spend. 

AKLegal

« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2020, 03:58 am »
Season 4 was a necessary evil - the corresponding book was only a little bit more interesting.  The first three episodes of this season were great.  I'm actually glad I can't binge watch it.  Binge watching got old for me real quick.

jriggy

« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2020, 02:41 pm »
Great show. And we agree here about season four, but glad to hear there was a reason.

Mudslide

« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2020, 04:37 pm »
The first three seasons were top notch and among the best sci-fi on commercial tv.  Everyone is right about Season 4.  Now it's on Prime that I can't get.  Grrrr.....   :(

How was the first S5 episode?

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2020, 04:58 pm »

How was the first S5 episode?

3 episodes dropped on release day, all are very good and followed "The Churn" a novella and "Nemesis Games" in the book series.
You need Prime  :)

mhconley

« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2020, 05:15 pm »
Nemesis Games was one of my favorite books in the series. The trailer looks epic. I am so happy Amazon picked this up. Let's hope they are in for the entire series of nine books. Persepolis Rising and Tiamat's Wrath were excellent books; I'll be sad when Leviathan Falls brings the series to a close.

Martin

Mudslide

« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2020, 10:16 pm »
3 episodes dropped on release day, all are very good and followed "The Churn" a novella and "Nemesis Games" in the book series.
You need Prime  :)

Thanks for the mini-review, WGH.  And yeah, I know I need to get it, BUT....I have no way of sending the signal to my ancient AV system and I couldn't afford Prime membership, in any event.   :dunno:

WGH

« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2020, 10:42 pm »
Season 5 is 10 episodes and ends on Feb 3, 2021. Buy an Amazon Firestick for $30 on Feb. 1st and sign up for the 30-day free trial of Prime.
Binge on the 10 episodes and cancel Prime, that is what I did a few years ago, it worked amazingly well. You could then return the Firestick if you are devious.  :icon_twisted:

https://www.amazon.com/all-new-fire-tv-stick-with-alexa-voice-remote/dp/B07ZZVX1F2

Mudslide

« Reply #10 on: 18 Dec 2020, 12:24 am »
Thanks once again, WGH.  I think the cheaper Firestick would work if I can get a good HDMI multiplier.

The missus and I are talking about upgrading our 8 year old 720P plasma as soon as this COVID crap is under a modicum of control.  I'm still having doubts about the vaccine as I'm pretty allergic to various meds...radiation therapy did that, but that's another story.  The new sets seem to have immense access to streaming services, including I think, Prime Video.  So perhaps we'll do something then about Expanse.  (I loved that show.)

I've recently recovered from heart surgery and funds are just a tad diminished, lol.  So we'll see...............

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jan 2021, 04:27 am »
Ok so The Expanse IS BACK. And it's FREAKING AWESOME again. Season 5, give me more... so much more. I want like 100 episodes.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #12 on: 20 Jan 2021, 03:18 pm »
+1   Following closely after a lapse of several years. The scenes in outer space can be stunning on 100" screen. Plot is now just a soap opera, but I am hooked.

WGH

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jan 2021, 09:27 pm »
While we wait for the next episode in Season 5 to drop, YouTube Prime Video has a lot of free premium content to watch:

The Expanse Aftershow Season 5 with actor Wes Chatham (Amos Burton), authors Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham and many of the actors.
https://www.youtube.com/prime%20video

This brand new aftershow is on the Amazon Prime Video channel and breakdowns each episode in Season 5. Episode 1 of aftershow talks to showrunner Naren Shankar about how they adapted Nemesis Games and The Churn.

Episode 2 - Wes Chatham interviews Ty Franck, Steven Strait (James "Jim" Holden & Producer) and Breck Eisner (director). And the Simpson Easter Egg hidden in episode 2.
Episode 3 - Wes Chatham interviews Ty Franck and Thomas Jane (Detective Miller) and Episode 3's director.
Episode 4 - Wes Chatham interviews Ty Franck, Shohreh Aghdashloo (Chrisjen Avasarala and Executive Producer) and Dan Nowak (writer)
Episode 5 - Wes Chatham interviews Ty Franck, Jasai Chase Owens (Filip) and Jeff Woolnough (director)
Episode 6 - Wes Chatham interviews Ty Franck, Cara Gee (Camina Drummer) and Keon Alexander (Marco Inaros)
Episode 7 - Wes Chatham interviews Ty Franck and Dominique Tipper (Naomi Nagata)
Episode 8 - Wes Chatham interviews Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham (James S. A. Corey is the pen name for co-authors Ty and Daniel)

Folsom

« Reply #14 on: 22 Jan 2021, 03:57 am »
Episode 7 had a super freaking awesome scene with lots of missiles vs the Rocinante. I had to rewind to watch again.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #15 on: 10 Mar 2022, 02:48 pm »
Now that the series has ended, I thought I'd do a little revival of this older thread.  I was disappointed that they just dropped so many story lines to get in under the six episode restriction.  Seems like Amazon cheaped out to close out the series and walk away.  However I had become so invested in the characters that I've overlooked some failures of the production team.  What do other fans think?

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #16 on: 10 Mar 2022, 06:19 pm »
Now that the series has ended, I thought I'd do a little revival of this older thread.  I was disappointed that they just dropped so many story lines to get in under the six episode restriction.  Seems like Amazon cheaped out to close out the series and walk away.  However I had become so invested in the characters that I've overlooked some failures of the production team.  What do other fans think?

Series endings are rarely satisfying. Even book 9 was a little disappointing.  I do not think that more episodes would have changed things and there really was no good way to jump 30 years in the future like the book did.

WGH

« Reply #17 on: 10 Mar 2022, 08:21 pm »
... there really was no good way to jump 30 years in the future like the book did.

Mark Hamill is still playing Skywalker after 39 years so it's possible, we just have to wait 30 years for the next season. I hope all the actors keep working out or it could get ugly.

Season 6 hit all the high points but they did have to condense a lot. Book 9 would be an exciting 10 episode series to see on screen with all the action packed space stuff.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #18 on: 10 Mar 2022, 10:21 pm »
Mark Hamill is still playing Skywalker after 39 years so it's possible, we just have to wait 30 years for the next season. I hope all the actors keep working out or it could get ugly.

Season 6 hit all the high points but they did have to condense a lot. Book 9 would be an exciting 10 episode series to see on screen with all the action packed space stuff.

Hamill's unfortunate disfiguring accident kinda limited him to that one role.  It was artfully explained in the movie series, but didn't help him with continuing his career. 

There's talk about Amazon or some other entity continuing after the time jump with new actors sometime in the future.  I imagine some fan based campaign like with Firefly might be needed to jumpstart that, we'll see.  These parts are so well cast that I'd miss these actors, but life moves on.