Help a Vinyl Newbie Make a Decsion

undertowogt1

Re: Help a Vinyl Newbie Make a Decsion
« Reply #20 on: 5 Apr 2020, 09:23 pm »
Personally , reconsider get into vinyl for the sound alone. This coming from a guy who loves vinyl, with seven grand Canadian invested in my vinyl front end. For me vinyl is about tinkering, the experience and connection with my music, cleaning it, collecting it and listening to it. I do think my vinyl rig sounds fantastic and better than my digital but not all the time. Overall digital sounds really good as well. Unless the full experience interest you I would stick with digital. If your daughter is interested maybe buy her a basic setup and she might gain interest on her own. A nice used turntable with new cart would be good. Keep in mind there is a lot to learn about proper table setup, alignment, cleaning and all that jazz.

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #21 on: 6 Apr 2020, 01:51 am »
Hey Matt,
I would like to encourage you to please consider everything Undertow shared before proceeding. Very sage advice there.
If you do not have a mechanical aptitude you are going to need to chose very carefully.
Also even if you are good with tools, the Schitt table might be one of the last tables I would ever recommend for someone's first table unless you have access to an experienced turntable guy to get you out of trouble, if the need would arise.

rlee8394

« Reply #22 on: 6 Apr 2020, 03:12 pm »
If one is worried about simple assembly and adjustment with the Schiit Sol or any other turntable, try a Rega Planar 1, 2, or 3 based on your budget. They are highly respected. Use with either the Bias 2, Elyse 2, or Exact cartridge, again as budget allows, as the three point mounting system eliminates the need, or possibility for that matter, to align the cartridge. As close to plug and play as possible outside of a Crosley.  :lol:

Same goes for any turntable that uses a Rega or Moth tonearm. Rega/Moth tonearms are used by many turntable manufacturers as OEM equipment.

-Ron

brooklyn

« Reply #23 on: 6 Apr 2020, 10:49 pm »
Hi Matt,

I thought I would add my recent turntable/2 channel audio system adventure that I’ve recently gone through. I use to have well over 300 albums in excellent condition and a 2 channel audio system that sounded great to my ears. My front end vinyl playback system was comprised of a VPI Scout, Ortofon 2M Black and a Graham Slee Era V phono preamp.. I worked out of state and lived in a small apartment for many years, a stereo system at the sound levels I like to listen at was out of the question.. I got into headphone listening in a big way then got rid of all my vinyl and audio gear. It was a tough decision but I never thought I would be living in my own home ever again..

My wife and I did decided to purchased another home a couple years ago then as luck would have it, I met a couple of buddies that are into vintage audio gear.. A few trips to their homes for some listening sessions and Well, you know what happened next right? I’m back in the game.. So I bought speakers, amp, preamp, Cd player and connected everything to my computer, it all sounded great but something seemed to be missing like a turntable and albums..

I would love to have my old vinyl rig back but I wasn’t willing to spend that kind of money right now just in case it didn’t pan out.. So I decided to go thrifty and get some gear to see if it sparked any interest.. I really did like the sound of vinyl in my old system.. I purchased a Pro-Ject 1xpression that was discontinued for almost half the regular selling price brand new in a box with a decent cartridge and phono cables.. Then I went with a preowned Graham Slee Special Edition 2 phono preamp.. I knew if I started buying vinyl again I would need a record cleaner so I bought the Pro-Ject VC-S RCM. I also splurged on a Achromat to replace the felt mat on the new turntable, it was a worthwhile investment.. My grand total was just under $1500 clams to get me started.. I’m I happy with my purchase? Yes.. Does it sound really good for the money I spent? Yes, actually better then I thought it would.. Have I started buying albums again.. Yes and they sound great.. Bottom line… I’m having a blast…. YMMV  Oh and welcome the the Audio Circle Forum.

Jerry

Rocket

« Reply #24 on: 7 Apr 2020, 01:24 pm »
Hi Guys,

I've gone down the path of digital hifi and use a Bryston Bdp 1 which I thoroughly enjoy and recently have been able to use Tidal.  A really nice sounding system.

However, I just like vinyl more, may'be its the psychology of buying an album and spinning it for the first time.  Currently, my main rig is a denon dp 1200 turntable with ortofon bronze cartridge and a diy tube phono stage.

I never throw out my hifi equipment or sell it because I figure I can always use it again.  I'm probably a hoarder as I have 4 turntables, 4 phono stage and 4 hifi speakers lol.  Due to having to work from home and setting up a home office I've just put together a vinyl headphone system and yes I have to get up every 20 minutes or so and turn the record over.

If I was you just buy secondhand turntable and phono stage and if you don't like it you won't take much of a hit if you decide to sell it.  I guess I just prefer vinyl.

Cheers Rod

Rocket

« Reply #25 on: 9 Apr 2020, 04:06 pm »
Hi Guys,

Ouch! Was my post the show stopper after such a good friendly thread of varying experiences regarding vinyl :)

I might have an amazing photo just to show you how much I like vinyl in the near future...

At the end of the day its all about our own preferences and what we enjoy about music and it doesn't matter whether you prefer vinyl or digital playback lol.

Cheers Rod

Matt Cooney

« Reply #26 on: 14 Apr 2020, 04:58 am »
Okay, I DID IT!!!!   First time in like 30 years, I spun a record.  I spent a bit of time researching and trolling through eBay, but in the end went for a new Audio Technica LP7.  I am a conditional convert.  I say conditional because my system is compromised; my Bryston BP25 preamp is in the shop being upgraded to BP26.  In the short term, I am running the preamp out of a Bryston B60 integrated.  It doesn't sound bad, but less detailed and full than the dedicated Bryston preamps.  But back to the vinyl: In this compromised set up, the records sound BETTER.  I can't say warmer, but smoother, sweeter.  I really look forward to getting my main preamp back - this is going to be nice!  Thanks for all your advice.  Oh, I really like the Audio Technica, but since I don't know jack about turntables, my opinion may not mean much.  Easy to set up, solid, simple, runs good.  Has an onboard phono stage and supports MM and MC.  Some excellent reviews.

brooklyn

« Reply #27 on: 14 Apr 2020, 05:29 am »
Way to go Matt, congrats on the new table.. I'm still tweaking my system but I really like what I'm hearing..

Matt Cooney

« Reply #28 on: 15 Apr 2020, 01:22 am »
...and of course, I am already browsing for upgrades....phono stage first perhaps.... :D

FreddyJ

« Reply #29 on: 30 Apr 2020, 01:25 pm »
Hey - just wanted to say what a great thread. I also want to get into vinyl but have been finding it all a bit daunting. I'm going to give this thread a thorough and proper read before I make any decisions. Some great advice.

Hope it's going well Matt and thanks for starting this thread!

Cheers.