See you at the Pacific Audio Fest!

minatophase3

Re: See you at the Pacific Audio Fest!
« Reply #40 on: 25 Jun 2023, 07:37 pm »
The Q6 looked to have a top tier crossover.
Agreed, the crossover is a step up from my M4 Sapphires, probably why they left the covers off so we could see them.

DaveWin88

« Reply #41 on: 25 Jun 2023, 07:53 pm »
A crossover upgrade would truly be plug and play. Clayton mentions this at the .40 mark. Possibly available for the existing M series?
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ynYyemBSFE&t=125s

Mr. Big

« Reply #42 on: 25 Jun 2023, 11:48 pm »
A crossover upgrade would truly be plug and play. Clayton mentions this at the .40 mark. Possibly available for the existing M series?
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ynYyemBSFE&t=125s

That be a great move and good business, along with a replaceable tweeter offered to work with the crossover. Clayton? I will be willing to give it a go.

DaveWin88

« Reply #43 on: 26 Jun 2023, 12:09 am »
Speaking of crossovers, the one for the X ultra series is something to see. Pretty massive and you can clearly see the additional cost is evident.

« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2023, 01:16 am by DaveWin88 »

Daryl Zero

« Reply #44 on: 27 Jun 2023, 04:21 am »
A few final comments from the show.

The plane ride home was awful. I needed 2 flights to get home to Tucson because I wanted to be able to stay the full morning if I could at the show.
Security lines in Seattle are horrible. I got to the airport a good 3 and 1/2 hours before my flight because of the 12 noon checkout time and the lines would horrify Disneyland. You snake up and down and think you've made it to the end only to go to the other side and snake around again. Over an hour in these lines moving slowly. I, at least, didn't have to worry about missing my flight. I overheard a lot of people who were going to miss their flights.  The one good thing was that hotel was an easy walk from the airport and walk back.

My flight from Seattle to Phoenix was a bit late but not too bad and I was supposed to have a two hour layover in Phoenix. I kept getting messages from the carrier that my flight was delayed and moved to different places. Phoenix is great (sarcastic great) because you have to leave the terminal and go out of security to get to another terminal which means you have to go through security again. Fortunately, it was almost empty at the time of night I got there. But the terminals are big and the gate B7 had a sign saying that the gate had been changed to A9. That was a 20 minute walk to gate A9 only to find a sign there saying the gate was moved back to B7. So while I was walking, a lot of restaurants closed. Drag. I was supposed to get to Tucson at 9:49 and instead got to the airport at 12:10 am the next day. I could have driven from Phoenix to Tucson 4 times over (about an hour and 15 minutes) for the length of time I waited. I told my wife, no more traveling for me.

The room set ups were all different. Sometimes they didn't do a good job. The Cabasse speakers I liked so much on Saturday were having a lot of trouble with bass on Sunday. Also, I've noticed that the music played for the speakers is deliberately sparse and not complicated. Once I got to request music, the speakers struggled with my selections. I listen to indie/alternative music which is raucous and sometimes trebly and speakers can struggle to make that sound coherent and good. The Cabasse speakers really came down to earth with my selections. They want to play things like ACDC "Back in Black" which is sparse with guitar hits and stops or things with strange sounds over sparse accompaniment.

In the Spatial Room with the Q6s, they were happy to play any type of music, classical, blues, or rock though they were limited to downloaded files so they couldn't take requests other than what they had. Once again, I really liked those Q6s.

The schedule wasn't that great for me. The show shut down about 5 pm and then didn't start up again until 10 in the morning. I found a good breakfast place about a half mile walk away but I was getting up about 6 so I was down with breakfast abut 7:30 so had to pass the time until 10. Plus, I swear I always made wrong turns on this crazy hotel layout.

Spatial with the X4 Ultras played some Malia and Boris Blank (the man who wrote the music for Yello) which is right in line with type of music that these companies play to show off their systems. It's a mix of electronica, jazz and blues. They played other stuff including a request from me.

I heard several systems with turntables and heard all sorts of crackle and pops with the records. I really didn't know what high end systems would sound like. I guess I thought that these expensive TTs would eliminate those noises. Made me feel a bit better about my set up. 

So this crosses off something I haven't done before though I'm not sure if I will ever seek out another show.

MttBsh

« Reply #45 on: 27 Jun 2023, 05:15 pm »
Daryl - I had impressions similar to yours. I attended the Fest Friday afternoon and only stayed for a couple of hours, though in that time I visited every room - 1st, 2nd and 14th floors. Some very nice equipment and sounds. The Audio Company and Triangle Art rooms sounded amazing, as did Audio Group Denmark and Spatial Audio. Actually every room sounded great. What impressed me the most though was how they were able to get all of that equipment - especially the gigantic speakers - into the rooms, particularly on the 14th floor!

I live just 20 minutes from the show so attending was a no-brainer but the reason my stay was brief is that virtually all of the equipment being demo'd was outside of my budget. I was pleased when I returned home to find that playing some of the music I had heard played sounded "almost" as good on my home system in my smallish living room.

I was surprised to hear about the freakishly long security lines at Seatac airport - its not usually like that except on big travel holidays

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #46 on: 28 Jun 2023, 01:22 am »
I was surprised to hear about the freakishly long security lines at Seatac airport - its not usually like that except on big travel holidays

Probably first week of summer vacation season as schools let out just a week earlier. I was bummed I couldn't attend this year, but next year will be better.

MttBsh

« Reply #47 on: 28 Jun 2023, 03:49 pm »
Probably first week of summer vacation season as schools let out just a week earlier. I was bummed I couldn't attend this year, but next year will be better.

Yep, I am at SeaTac airport now and there are freakishly long lines on a Wed morning! Were it not for TSA I would probably not make my flight  :o

geerock

« Reply #48 on: 29 Jun 2023, 12:54 am »
Here's a write up and video from day 2 of the show.
Spatial Audio and Don Sachs pre and monos are at the 15:10 mark. https://youtu.be/tq3Pz47CtOU

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #49 on: 29 Jun 2023, 01:54 pm »
A few links below from Stereophile's coverage.

One piece of INFO I wasn't aware of:

Although a change of ownership wasn't publicized at the time of sale, David Whitt now owns Spatial Audio Lab. David's son Sam Whitt, 23, engineers the speakers, and former owner Clayton Shaw continues in sales and distribution.

Links:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/twin-showcases-spatial-audio-lab-don-sachs-and-lynn-olson-design

https://www.stereophile.com/content/spatial-audio-labs-other-very-convincing-exhibit

George

Mr. Big

« Reply #50 on: 29 Jun 2023, 02:01 pm »
A few links below from Stereophile's coverage.

One piece of INFO I wasn't aware of:

Although a change of ownership wasn't publicized at the time of sale, David Whitt now owns Spatial Audio Lab. David's son Sam Whitt, 23, engineers the speakers, and former owner Clayton Shaw continues in sales and distribution.

Links:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/twin-showcases-spatial-audio-lab-don-sachs-and-lynn-olson-design

https://www.stereophile.com/content/spatial-audio-labs-other-very-convincing-exhibit

George

I am not surprised Clayton sold, looking at the major health issues he faced most of the year. When you go through that you think of family and their security.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #51 on: 29 Jun 2023, 02:09 pm »
I agree that I am not surprised...I just didn't know.

I have been a huge Clayton fan and supporter since the start of Emerald Physics and I want to see him continue to succeed (and more importantly, be healthy!!).

George

Mr. Big

« Reply #52 on: 29 Jun 2023, 03:10 pm »
I agree that I am not surprised...I just didn't know.

I have been a huge Clayton fan and supporter since the start of Emerald Physics and I want to see him continue to succeed (and more importantly, be healthy!!).

George

If his health continues to improve I would not be surprised if he starts another speaker line. He is young still and he likes designing.

sockpit

« Reply #53 on: 29 Jun 2023, 06:39 pm »
May I ask if Cloud is a Whitt?  If so, that bodes well since I recently dealt with him concerning my M5 sapphires.

Like Clayton he’s responsive and seems to know his stuff.

Continued good wishes for Clayton!

P.s.  my daughter lives 7 minutes from SeaTac. It’s often a total mess in my own and her experience. Makes me want to drive 600 miles instead.
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2023, 08:59 pm by sockpit »

Daryl Zero

« Reply #54 on: 29 Jun 2023, 09:11 pm »
I had briefly mentioned that I met the new owner in my first post about PAF. I was a bit embarrassed that I didn't remember his name (David Whitt) but I knew his son was Sam Whitt who is one of the designers of the speakers we saw. Both of them, as nice as can be. Sam gave me much of the information I posted about the X4 Ultras.

Cloud's last name I believe is Sessions. If he were on a witness stand, I would definitely ask him if that is his real name. I kinda pictured sort of a hippie guy like Donald Sutherland played in "Kelly's Heroes" but he was definitely an engineer and fairly young at that. We definitely talked a lot about the Valhalla amp. I found out that he has already improved it since I received my amp. 

I saw the Stereophile reviewer in the room with the Q6s. I didn't know he was recording video so he had to start over. David and Sam went outside with me to talk while he did his thing. Ultimately, I apologized and the reviewer was gracious.

jpm

« Reply #55 on: 29 Jun 2023, 10:02 pm »
Now that news of the ownership change is out, I hope there will soon be more information. I can understand not wanting to distract attention from the products you're promoting at a show, but the show is over now ...

Spatial Audio

« Reply #56 on: 29 Jun 2023, 11:51 pm »
Now that news of the ownership change is out, I hope there will soon be more information. I can understand not wanting to distract attention from the products you're promoting at a show, but the show is over now ...

We had a large staff the PAF show and 2 demo rooms, so it was lot of fun. We met up with a lot of customers, and made new friends, so we really enjoyed it. As you have probably heard - Don Sachs and Lynn Olsen were in attendance to demonstrate their new 300B amplifier technology-simply amazing! The reception to the X4 and new Q6 design confirmed our feeling that both products will be very popular among serious listeners. We will post information about the Q6 soon. It should go into full product later this summer, at a price of $5000 /pr.

Let me clarify the ownership change and current staff:
1) Its true that I thought it best for the company for me to step back and let the young guys continue to build the company. This empowers them and helps them grow as businessmen and engineers. I will continue to handle sales and customer service so just call me if you need anything. I can still participate, but with less workload and stress. I will be 66 over the holiday, so I think it was good decision to step back, particularly in light of recent health issues. I am happy to say that I feel healthy now and grateful to be alive. Thanks for your kind comments.

2) The company retains the excellent staff we have had for years. Our foundational principles of innovation, engineering excellence and customer satisfaction are completely intact. The guys are young and very smart and I am very proud of how they have stepped up to the challenge. They are true audio guys that want to be in this industry.
David Whitt (45) General Manager
Sam Whitt (23) Director of Engineering
Cloud Sessions (27) Electronic Systems Manager and Owner of Sessions Amplified
Ryan Kimbrough (31) Electronic assembly technician
Clayton Shaw (65) Sales, Customer Service

Best regards,
Clayton Shaw
Spatial Audio Lab

nautrachkfriend

« Reply #57 on: 30 Jun 2023, 12:05 am »
I noticed that on this video: https://youtu.be/3vleZ0zJ1z8?t=203 (3:23) the X4's appear to be rocking new woofers.

Is this a prototype X4? Or are the X4's going to be sporting a new woofer?

Mr. Big

« Reply #58 on: 30 Jun 2023, 12:10 am »
We had a large staff the PAF show and 2 demo rooms, so it was lot of fun. We met up with a lot of customers, and made new friends, so we really enjoyed it. As you have probably heard - Don Sachs and Lynn Olsen were in attendance to demonstrate their new 300B amplifier technology-simply amazing! The reception to the X4 and new Q6 design confirmed our feeling that both products will be very popular among serious listeners. We will post information about the Q6 soon. It should go into full product later this summer, at a price of $5000 /pr.

Let me clarify the ownership change and current staff:
1) Its true that I thought it best for the company for me to step back and let the young guys continue to build the company. This empowers them and helps them grow as businessmen and engineers. I will continue to handle sales and customer service so just call me if you need anything. I can still participate, but with less workload and stress. I will be 66 over the holiday, so I think it was good decision to step back, particularly in light of recent health issues. I am happy to say that I feel healthy now and grateful to be alive. Thanks for your kind comments.

2) The company retains the excellent staff we have had for years. Our foundational principles of innovation, engineering excellence and customer satisfaction are completely intact. The guys are young and very smart and I am very proud of how they have stepped up to the challenge. They are true audio guys that want to be in this industry.
David Whitt (45) General Manager
Sam Whitt (23) Director of Engineering
Cloud Sessions (27) Electronic Systems Manager and Owner of Sessions Amplified
Ryan Kimbrough (31) Electronic assembly technician
Clayton Shaw (65) Sales, Customer Service

Best regards,
Clayton Shaw
Spatial Audio Lab

Clayton a very happy birthday and a very special one for you I am sure. Having gone through Colon cancer along with 21 days in the hospital in a live-or-die situation due to complications I have happy to be here and enjoy my 72 brithday shortly. You still have value to Spatial and I am sure they are blessed to still have your experience and support. Keep on keeping on and happy 66!

Jprod

« Reply #59 on: 30 Jun 2023, 12:21 am »
I read through this thread and unless I’m missing something, not a lot of talk about the don sachs 300b monos.  The stereophile blurb that someone posted didn’t give me much insight either other than the room acoustics might have been off.
To anyone who listened to them any thoughts one way of the other?
I don’t get that  oh wow feeling after the few comments I have read.