Do you really use open back midrange?

maplemusic

Do you really use open back midrange?
« on: 27 Mar 2019, 06:35 pm »
Just wondering if folks with open back mid range speakers like SS8 really use the open back feature?  If so how often do you use it?

Mudslide

Re: Do you really use open back midrange?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2019, 08:05 pm »
Just wondering if folks with open back mid range speakers like SS8 really use the open back feature?  If so how often do you use it?

My Philharmonic 2s are permanently set to open back...with the chamber half filled with acoustic-fill (because of my particular setup...YMMV).  This setup provides a really nice ambience of spaciousness/openness to our music and movies.

Jeff in the D

« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2019, 10:47 pm »
My SS8s are always open with them approximately 1/2 full with stuffing. I have tried
various combinations of completely closed, full of stuffing, hardly any stuffing and
settled on the 1/2 full. For me in my space they sound most excellent with this.
I agree, spacious and a pleasant amount of ambiance. YMMV
Jeff

Sunder321

« Reply #3 on: 2 Apr 2019, 03:45 pm »
Ive tried open, various stuffings, closed...I am going to do some actual measurements with REW with full open or closed just to see the impact on the mid range response in room

Hydro

« Reply #4 on: 2 Apr 2019, 05:32 pm »
I have SS-10's and it is the dependent on the type of music I am listening to. Studio recordings I leave the back closed. Classical and live recordings I take the back off. At one time I used three 1mm magnets to open the back just a little but got new amps and it sounded better fully closed or fully open. It really is like having two different speakers for the price of one.