DAC upgrade, what to buy???

Austin08

DAC upgrade, what to buy???
« on: 10 May 2014, 01:07 am »
Hello,

I have been using Oppo 105 as my usb dac and Jriver app on my PC for streaming music. The system sound nice and pleasing but that is it. So, I have some more green to spend and looking for a usb dac that would give me a fuller body, more texture and warmer midrange. Being say that i could careless for dsd file since most of my music were rip to 16/48 flac. ( although, I consider it as bonus feature).

I have some usb dacs in mind.
W4S Dac2.
PSaudio  PWD mk2
North Star Excelsio
Auralic Ark mx+
NAD M51

As you can see those dacs would cost around $1500 used. Are those dacs really a step up in performance compare to Oppo 105 dac? My gut tell me "a yes". So what Dac above or something else in your mind that would meet my expectation. I am really appreciate all your thoughs on this. 

Thanks,
Austin

FYI, my system is here
« Last Edit: 10 May 2014, 03:27 am by Austin08 »

paul79

• Industry Participant
Re: DAC upgrade, what to buy???
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2014, 01:17 am »
I think the Auralic and the PWD II would compare, and beat the 105, but not by much.

If I may make a suggestion that stretches your budget a tad.....

Get a used Vega. It is clearly better than all on your list, and is one of the finest sounding DAC's I have heard. Used should be around $2300.

Austin08

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2014, 01:39 am »
I think the Auralic and the PWD II would compare, and beat the 105, but not by much.

If I may make a suggestion that stretches your budget a tad.....

Get a used Vega. It is clearly better than all on your list, and is one of the finest sounding DAC's I have heard. Used should be around $2300.

Thanks, i have though about it but $1800 is absolutely pushing budget to the sky. Also at that price, there is Mod option at MW to consider too.

Dang, I like the look of those Auralic Vega and Aries. Wish I could afford them.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2014, 02:05 am »
"fuller body, more texture and warmer midrange" would suggest something with a tube in it.  Or else just getting a tube buffer between the Oppo and pre-amp. Too bad the Modwright tube mod is out of your price range.

Can't think of a great tube dac at that price point. Many seem to like the Grant Fidelity TubeDac 11, but at less than $400 it might give a full body with more texture and warmer midrange, but might be a lateral move otherwise.

Kinda tend to agree with paul79 that you'd have to jump to an Auralic Vega to probably go to the next noticeable step in quality over your Oppo 105, which says more about the quality of the Oppo than anything else.

Maybe either the tube buffer or experimenting with cabling (interconnects / power cords) to get the sound more dialed in the way you want.

Austin08

« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2014, 02:13 am »
That is 2 count for Vega. A few more counts then I have to revamp my budget somehow.  :green:

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2014, 02:20 am »
If you want the truth, get a Bryston BDA1 or 2. If you want flavor, get something else.

Austin08

« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2014, 02:49 am »
If you want the truth, get a Bryston BDA1 or 2. If you want flavor, get something else.

Wow...that is a bold statement. I like Bryston products and always hear good thing about it. One of those brand that have my respect. Anyway, Can you elaborate me of what is your experience with BDA1/2 that you have come to a conclusion above? I would love to hear the story behind it. That would help me a lot to narrow down my choice.

Thanks,
Austin

bk12

« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2014, 03:15 am »
I would not rule out one of the smaller Chord DACs...like the Qute HD or QEX.  Used they should be in your price range...I previously owned a Chord DAC, and was very impressed with it.  Definitely worth a look.  I know the PS Audio PWD MKII was in there too..if you can find one used in your budget, it really packs an incredible list of features and is also a great product...

Charles Calkins

« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2014, 03:16 am »
I bought a Cambridge audio stream magic 6 a few months ago. It is a music server and can be used as a DAC.
INMHO it is the very best DAC  I've ever had. I've had several DAC's over the years and one of them cost me $5K. None of them made the music sound as good as the Cambridge stream magic 6 used as a DAC does. AND!!! HEY!!! you can buy on for less than $1K.

Cheers
                                                                         Charlie

WGH

« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2014, 03:17 am »
Last summer we compared the PS Audio PerfectWave MkII and the Van Alstine Fet Valve DAC and they were so close we couldn't tell the difference. Later that summer we did it again on David's Magnapan 3.7/Krell setup with similar results.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=117771.msg1236406#msg1236406

If you can get a PS Audio for $1500, go for it.

Wayne

RDavidson

« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2014, 03:17 am »
You should tell us what your system consists of and your musical tastes / habits. We can all give you our opinions, but they may not be best for your system or your ears.

Synergy is key, though I believe having as accurate / resolving front end gear as affordably possible is almost always best, with the exception of maybe a very Cheap and Cheerful system. In this case you aren't likely going to get this quality.......or other pieces in the chain are too compromised to even let you hear it anyway.

I think your Oppo is a great unit and you'd have to spend A LOT more to significantly better it, as others have suggested, but like I said, let us know what you're running with and maybe we can make other suggestions to get you where you're trying to go. :thumb:

Austin08

« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2014, 03:26 am »
You should tell us what your system consists of and your musical tastes / habits. We can all give you our opinions, but they may not be best for your system or your ears.

Synergy is key, though I believe having as accurate / resolving front end gear as affordably possible is almost always best, with the exception of maybe a very Cheap and Cheerful system. In this case you aren't likely going to get this quality.......or other pieces in the chain are too compromised to even let you hear it anyway.

I think your Oppo is a great unit and you'd have to spend A LOT more to significantly better it, as others have suggested, but like I said, let us know what you're running with and maybe we can make other suggestions to get you where you're trying to go. :thumb:

Thanks, my system is here. I also update my original post.

Austin

sfox7076

« Reply #12 on: 10 May 2014, 03:30 am »
How about the Dodd in the sale forum?  It's a Dodd. 

Austin08

« Reply #13 on: 10 May 2014, 03:33 am »
Last summer we compared the PS Audio PerfectWave MkII and the Van Alstine Fet Valve DAC and they were so close we couldn't tell the difference. Later that summer we did it again on David's Magnapan 3.7/Krell setup with similar results.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=117771.msg1236406#msg1236406

If you can get a PS Audio for $1500, go for it. Thanks for the link.

Austin

Wayne

The PSaudio PWD II is in top of my list. Thanks for the link.

Austin

mca

« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2014, 03:40 am »
A new PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC can now be had for under $1800, a used Auralic Vega DAC for around $2800, is the Vega really worth the additional 1k?

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 10 May 2014, 03:44 am »
IMO, 100% YES! It is exciting, dynamic, detailed, resolute, yet remains totally musical and fatigue free at the same time. This is how digital is supposed to sound. I have heard both of these DAC's, and a number of others, and the Vega gets it right better than any of them I've had.

The USB input is stellar, and I think is the best trick with this DAC. I have not tried any of the other inputs, but again, the USB input is really good.

YMMV, My system, etc...

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #16 on: 10 May 2014, 03:46 am »
The X-SABRE is Matrix Audio flagship ultra high quality D/A converter that supports native DSD (Direct-Stream Digital) and DXD.

:thumb:
Huge step up for me in my Sophia Electric /Omega system.

Probably the most striking upgrade in my audio history.
Tom

Austin08

« Reply #17 on: 10 May 2014, 03:48 am »
A new PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC can now be had for under $1800, a used Auralic Vega DAC for around $2800, is the Vega really worth the additional 1k?

I know there would be no right or wrong answers but I do have the same question in my mind.

Austin08

« Reply #18 on: 10 May 2014, 03:52 am »
IMO, 1000% YES! It is exciting, dynamic, detailed, resolute, yet remains totally musical and fatigue free at the same time. This is how digital is supposed to sound.

The USB input is stellar, and I think is the biggest trick with this DAC. I have not tried any of the other inputs, but again, the USB input is really good.

Stop torture me!!!!!! :banghead: :bawl:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #19 on: 10 May 2014, 04:09 am »
Austin,

I have not compared DACs recently, but......to further torture you.....

I was in Echo HiFi in Portland, OR a few weeks ago. I noticed the Vega sitting in the show room and chatted with one of the salesmen about it. He mentioned that they (every employee present at the time) tested the Vega in the store a while back.....it took 30 seconds for them to make a decision. You know what that decision was, now don't you?

I may be ready to upgrade to it in another year or so. If I could just stop buying other things for a little while.....

Good luck with your decision..... :icon_twisted:

One other thought....I just received my new Pi Audio UberBUSS and plugged it in yesterday. I am floored at the difference. Heck. I was floored in the first minute, but Dave told me to let it burn in for 20 or more hours....I'm only up to 12 or so....I have a modest DAC (DacMagic Plus). Have you considered adding an AC conditioner to your system for less than one of those DACs? Just an idea that is very present in my mind right now.