Ipad as Music Server

Tiverson

Re: Ipad as Music Server
« Reply #20 on: 20 Oct 2012, 11:13 am »
"So are you sending FLAC files from the ipad to the i-20 to get 24/96 playback? I assume they're not apple lossless, right?"

No, I convert them to itues lossless files. The ipad does not play flac files.

JoeyGS

« Reply #21 on: 9 Jan 2013, 02:21 am »
Just an update for everyone ........ I did use an external battery power source for the Hiface and it still did not work connecting it to the Ipad.  Maybe the HiFace needs a driver and the Ipad does not have it.

I wonder if Hiface Two (currently configured without the need of driver for Mac Computers .... but iOS ????) or other USB to SPIF converters can work with the Ipad......

JoeyGS

« Reply #22 on: 25 Jan 2013, 03:22 am »

JoeyGS

« Reply #23 on: 31 Jan 2013, 03:36 am »
There is a current review of using the Ipad/Camera Kit Connector in conjunction with the iFi iUSB Power with USB-PSDIF converters. There were mixed results. Following is the excerpt from the review and the link to the full review:

The iFi USB’s applications run a little deeper than simple computer appendage. It designed to work with Apple’s iPad and Camera Connection Kit. I had mixed results with this.

I excitedly – and ultimately mistakenly – imagined the iFi brick to be a magic bullet for Apple iPad audiophillia – a way to enable communication between ANY USB device and Apple’s iPad. After all, the iFi was ponying up the necessary 5V so why would the iPad care what the power draw might be? But it did. It cared very much.

When attaching the following to the iFi iUSBPower and then to iPad, the “too much power” error made an unwelcome appearance and precluded sound routing to the USB device:

Peachtree Nova125 (XMOS)
Wyred4Sound uLINK (XMOS)
Micromega MyDAC (XMOS)

Ruh-roh. See a pattern there? At first blush, it seems the iPad CCK doesn’t enjoy pitching to XMOS chipsets but (I learned later that) iFi’s iDAC also runs with XMOS at the USB helm and the iPad brooks no quarrel with it. Ditto the Resonessence Concero – its Cypress CY7c68013A chip played ball beautifully. iPad audiophillia conclusions: three units that don’t work, two that do. Readers are advised to try before they buy should iPad playback be the number one aim of the iFi iUSBPower.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/20...bpower-review/