Sophia Electric 6SN7

guest1632

Re: Sophia Electric 6SN7
« Reply #20 on: 7 Jun 2010, 04:27 am »
I've got 80+ hrs. so far and I feel they are pretty well burt in.
I've always bought and looked for the holy grail through NOS and old post war tubes be it RCA, Sylvania,etc,etc. My journey is over.
I generaly use RCA 5691 for the 6SL7 and either a Sylvania 6SN7 GTB and sometimes GTA as my phase splitter.
In my system (Almarro A318B) the RCA 6SN7s always sounded very lush but a little rolled off on the top end and a little bloated on the bottom end. The Sylvanias always sounded a little edgy on the top end and not as rich in the mids. The Sophia's have a very lush midrange and a very controled lower end, and the highs are well extended and very silky. They seem to do everything right and nothing neg. stands out. The sound stage is very open and 3D. To the point of effortless depth. Imaging is very precise. I can locate the instument exactly where it is. I don't think I will be looking for NOS perfection any more. I am very satisfied with the Sophia's. I am on a tight budget, and though there are probably better sounding tubes out there, I wont be able to afford them at the moment. I hear the Black Treasure's are very good but they cross over the budget I can afford. Maybe one day.

If you're looking for a beautiful sounding tube at the price of a good NOS, this could be the one to buy. Hope this helps anyone looking for something different.  John

Hi John,

So,ytel
 me where you got those Sophia tubes and how much? If you don't want to comment here, then PM me.

Ray Bronk

Ern Dog

« Reply #21 on: 13 Aug 2011, 03:16 pm »
Can anyone comment on the sonic difference between the Sophia Electric 6sn7 vs Shuguang Treasure cv181?  I'm looking to upgrade the tubes in my Modwright Oppo 83.  Thanks

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #22 on: 12 Feb 2019, 01:23 am »
Well, I'm like 8 years behind times with respect to this column here. 

I just listened with my Sophia Electric 6SN7 tubes again.  I believe when I bought them they were Grade B rated.  Regardless, I've always likes/used Shuguant 6SN7s 'cos when I was in China way back like 10 years ago, I bought a dozen pairs of Shuguang's 6SN7s at like $11 a pair.  When I bought the SE tubes like 5 years ago I thought I DISLIKED it.  The Shuguangs beat the SE's HANDS DOWN, WAY DOWN.  Tonight, it's like the 3rd time I had the SE's in my system, TRYING TO justify the prices I paid (I think I paid like $100 a pair!).  I STILL, STILL "HATED" them.  The "TONALITY" of the SEs is just lousy, while the Shuguangs always give me pleasure.  I'd say the $100+ spent on the SEs were pretty much a waste.   :duh:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #23 on: 12 Feb 2019, 01:56 am »
Thanks for your first hand impressions Goldlizsts.
Anyone can compair these two modern brands to RCA NOS 6SN7/6SL7?
Thanks

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #24 on: 12 Feb 2019, 02:13 am »
RCA I only have the VT231's, which I like also, tho with the RCA VT231s in my opinion the tonality of the Shuguang is warmer.  A long while ago, I was fortunate that some very experienced audiophile told me about the various 6SN7's, and I got a pair each of the better, if not the best, 6SN7s, TungSol, Sylvania, RCA, etc.  I think I have like a dozen pairs of them....  Here and there I tube-roll.  Well.... in recent years, like most of the audio fanatics in my circle, somehow we all sloooowed down a lot.  Only here and there I turn on the system to play a little.... :bawl:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #25 on: 12 Feb 2019, 05:52 am »

thorman

« Reply #26 on: 12 Feb 2019, 05:29 pm »
I have tried a ton of 6SN7's ( Modwright Oppo 105 ) and found the Sophia's light years ahead of all the other 6SN7's I tired......Tried Bad Boys, Tungsol, Chrome tops, GTB and GTA and Sophia's are way ahead of all others......I gues it depends on the equipment there going into....The pair I use now are 3 Years old ( knock wood ) and still sound terrific..........