Alinco's with Pass Amp Camp Amplifier?

edwyun

Alinco's with Pass Amp Camp Amplifier?
« on: 21 Feb 2016, 07:02 pm »
Has anyone tried pairing the Pass DIY amp camp amplifier (SE transistor, Class A, ~ 6 watts) with the Omega Super Alnico Monitors or Compact Alinco Monitors?

peter59

Re: Alinco's with Pass Amp Camp Amplifier?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2016, 08:23 pm »
Finally someone is talking about these great amps .. I do not have them paired with the Omega Alnicos but have been using them for the past two years with Louis RS5s with super results...  These amps have plenty of everything I want in musical presentation  PRAT,  timbre, 3d soundstage. I even sold my beloved Decware amp after inserting these amps in my system.

Was going to pull the trigger on a pair of Super Alnicos but am so happy with the sound of these underrated RS5s. paired with the  Pass ACA camp amps.
In my music system I have no need to change speakers
I just sit back and listen to music and NOT the system and that my friends is what it should be all about..

edwyun

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2016, 08:51 pm »
What size room are you listening with the ACA/RS5 combo?  I am considering the ACA/Alinco monitor combo for a second setup in a room about 14 x 16.  Main concern would be dynamics/transients and LF response - though I know well enough not to expect full range sound from a large monitor/bookshelf.  But some perform better than others.

The ACA is great for what it is, though I've heard a few better amps and a lot worse amps.  Not bad considering the price for DIY.

Another speaker I'm considering is the Convergent Triumph Extreme (though it is at a higher price point).

busterfree

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2016, 09:48 pm »
Are these amps available to purchase somewhere for us non diy folks?  :duh:

edwyun

« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2016, 10:15 pm »
Are these amps available to purchase somewhere for us non diy folks?  :duh:

Actually, the DIY part is not that difficult.  Just need to be a little proficient in soldering.  I practiced on one of the cheap test kits and got a decent soldering iron and that was all I needed to build the ACA.  There's even a step by step pictoral on DIYaudio.  Perhaps one of the easiest DIY builds.

There are some people who will build and sell but what's the fun in that?   :green:

From this...

To this in about 5-6 hours ...

FYI - it uses a SMPS.

peter59

« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2016, 11:38 pm »
My room dimensions are  17 ft x 13 ft with 8 ft ceilings.

I have the speakers set up on the long wall...   20 in from back walls, 4 1/2 ft  from side walls. listening distance 7 1/2 ft
Room treatments  Eighth Nerve ADAPTS  ( 4 triangles, 7 rectangles) I cannot emphasize Room treatments enough  their is absolutely no echo in my room when you do the "clap test"

You can find my speakers on Omegas forum  titled "RS5 back loaded horns". (circa March 2013)

Since then I replaced  my amp  Audio Sector Patek ( had this amp for 5 yrs and the Decware SE84) sold all in June 2013. Since the introduction of the  ACA camp amps into my system  their is no contest INMHO.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2016, 12:06 am »
I'm also surprised that the Pass kits haven't been discussed more on AC. :scratch: In some ways Audio Circle isn't that DIY friendly since it's the Site Sponsors that keep AC on the web.
I bet that that the little Class A Amp Camp Amp would be an excellent fit for any of the Omegas. The other Pass kits would be excellent too, with more power but more complex to build. Nelson Pass is an amp designer with a world wide reputation.

peter59

« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2016, 01:42 am »
 I believe you can find the amp boards, parts,  chassis etc..  at DIY Audio store website.
I was able to buy it as complete kits..

Happy listening

edwyun

« Reply #8 on: 22 Feb 2016, 02:12 am »
My room dimensions are  17 ft x 13 ft with 8 ft ceilings.

Not too far off from my situation.  Thanks.  How are they on dynamics?

Since then I replaced  my amp  Audio Sector Patek ( had this amp for 5 yrs and the Decware SE84) sold all in June 2013. Since the introduction of the  ACA camp amps into my system  their is no contest INMHO.

BTW, did you do the R15 upgrade/mod to the ACA to get the extra 1 watt?  The mod is now reflected in the new kits/boards.

peter59

« Reply #9 on: 22 Feb 2016, 02:28 am »
In my situation I can push if necessary 90 dbs and it still has plenty of dynamics.. to spare..
I listen to all kinds of Classic rock, Jazz, Female vocalists, Classical  these RS5s handle everything with wonderful realistic musical presentation..

I am a huge fan of Chicago, Tower of Power, and Blood Sweat and Tears.  Depending on the artist's recordings the horn sections are so amazing  realistic.  I can really listen for hours to the music getting lost in the moment and do not have to focus on the audio equipment anymore...

Yes, I did recently upgrade to the extra 1 watt.. Didn't really notice a whole lot of difference.. Remember, according to guru Nelson Pass the first watt is so important..and I firmly believe he has nailed this.. These monos amps put out 6 watts and do not break a sweat..

doggie

« Reply #10 on: 22 Feb 2016, 11:42 am »
A buddy brought over a pair of his Amp Camp amps and we listened to them with my Omega Super 6 Alnico floorstanders. At the time I was using some Pass Labs J2's. I thought that they sounded remarkably similar to the J2's at a fraction of the cost. Recommended!

RDavidson

« Reply #11 on: 22 Feb 2016, 02:07 pm »
I once used the J2 with Omega 3xrs, and LOVED the combo. If the Amp Camp amp is similar to the J2 (with DIY obviously costing less) the Amp Camp amp is an incredible bargain.

tipatina

« Reply #12 on: 22 Feb 2016, 02:38 pm »
Actually, the DIY part is not that difficult.  Just need to be a little proficient in soldering.  I practiced on one of the cheap test kits and got a decent soldering iron and that was all I needed to build the ACA.  There's even a step by step pictoral on DIYaudio.  Perhaps one of the easiest DIY builds.

There are some people who will build and sell but what's the fun in that?   :green:

From this...

To this in about 5-6 hours ...

FYI - it uses a SMPS.

Edwyun: Does it come as a whole kit? Do you get just the boards and have to source the rest? I am just getting into kit building. Fun Stuff!

Brad

Re: Alnicos with Pass Amp Camp Amplifier?
« Reply #13 on: 22 Feb 2016, 02:42 pm »
The Pass ACAs are an easy build, and also a great deal, at under $300 for the full kit of 2 mono amps.

I used them with drivers similar to the Omega in sensitivity, and had plenty of volume.
That should be a good match, and an excellent one for the $

edwyun

« Reply #14 on: 22 Feb 2016, 03:37 pm »
Full kits are available but they run out from time to time.  You can also purchase just the boards and source the parts yourself.  Fun all around

edwyun

« Reply #15 on: 23 Feb 2016, 05:54 am »
So after much reading and many of your opinions, it looks like the Omegas may work well with the ACAs.  As I've said, this is for a second system and so critical listening can take a back seat.

What are some of the quirks about Omegas - for one thing, I believe there is no crossover so my usual active crossover setups will not work.  So I assume the only real way to adjust sound from them is proper placement in the room and room treatments?  Are there things I should know about placement with Omegas? 

Thanks again.

Capt. Yossarian

« Reply #16 on: 23 Feb 2016, 07:17 pm »
More of a question than a reply:

What pre-amp do you utilize with this Pass DIY amp camp amplifier? If I move in this direction (to use with my Omega Super 3S speakers), I would need a pre-amp to go with my Nakamichi OMS-7 CD player.

Thanks …

Folsom

« Reply #17 on: 23 Feb 2016, 08:03 pm »
The ACA would probably be a lot better with different input capacitors. Two PHE426 4.7uf caps would probably do the trick.

The fact that it can be ordered with enclosures that are pre-drilled makes it as easy as it gets. If you do drilling there's other options.

edwyun

« Reply #18 on: 23 Feb 2016, 10:11 pm »
What pre-amp do you utilize with this Pass DIY amp camp amplifier? If I move in this direction (to use with my Omega Super 3S speakers), I would need a pre-amp to go with my Nakamichi OMS-7 CD player.

The ACA has an input impedance of 10 kOhms.  My setup will be a Rowland Capri (40 Ohms output impedance, single ended) or a Mac - the wife likes the blue lights though I don't.   :duh:

For a preamp, I would try to follow the 1:10 or (better) 1:100 "rule" for impedances .

Folsom

« Reply #19 on: 23 Feb 2016, 10:20 pm »
10k? Wow it needs a buffer with any volume control.