Alnico Monitor height: ear level?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: Alnico Monitor height: ear level?
« Reply #20 on: 21 Jul 2015, 02:43 pm »
No it's not!  It's quite simple, actually.  Play around with stuff you already have around the house:

Stack some cinder blocks.  Even if not on hand, will cost you a few bux at Home Depot.  Very solid and effective sonically.  I've actually used these as monitor stands -- spkrs sounded great on 'em.  Paint them to better the look.

Plant stands.

Kitchen / dining chairs. 

Bar stools.

Some simple wooden end tables (or any material, for that matter).   In a pinch, I have used these as speaker (and gear) stands:

Adjust the height in small increments with books, bricks, blocks of wood, hockey pucks, etc.  The height of the average kitchen / dining chair is 18 inches.  Maybe a good starting point?

Use your imagination.  Experiment and get a feel for things.  When you find the height that works, then commit to a pair of more expensive dedicated stands. 

Think outside the box.  Not only is it not brain surgery, it's not rocket science either!      :lol:

Good luck in your experimentations.  I'm sure they will sound absolutely superb, even if "off"  by a few inches.  I wouldn't sweat the small stuff.         :thumb:

These are great ideas sunnydaze, and very practical, and the pictures too are a great idea. :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #21 on: 21 Jul 2015, 02:44 pm »
Rebbi,

Who chastised you and where? You asked for some advice pertaining to the height of your speakers and I said, "Experiment and use your own judgment." How does that become a form of censure in your mind?

Then if there was any doubt as to how to go about experimenting, Sunnydaze told you everything you need to know, "It's pretty clear what to experiment with:  try different heights, choose the one that sounds best to you."

Your response to our advice was, "Okay, okay: pretend I never asked."

RDavidson

« Reply #22 on: 21 Jul 2015, 02:50 pm »
 :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #23 on: 21 Jul 2015, 02:52 pm »
These are great ideas sunnydaze, and very practical, and the pictures too are a great idea. :thumb:

Yeah, now why was that so hard to figure out?

roscoe65

« Reply #24 on: 21 Jul 2015, 02:58 pm »
Yeah, now why was that so hard to figure out?

What is your problem?

RDavidson

« Reply #25 on: 21 Jul 2015, 03:23 pm »
Don't ask, unless you want an answer so generalized it's useless to anyone but a child.

I think this thread is done. :duh:

Ultralight

« Reply #26 on: 24 Jul 2015, 04:11 am »
Based on my testing, I find that the Alnico needs to have one axis level to my ear.  But it doesn't have to be pointed directly at my ears.    So I would either put it on stands so that the drivers are at my ear height, OR tilted so that it appears to be at ear height if that makes sense.   There is a directivity of the drivers so that the dispersion is not as broad as smaller drivers such as the KEF LS50.  Just my own experience.

Hope this helps.

Hi, Folks,
I thought of including this question in my thread on speaker stand alternatives, but then decided to break it out into a separate topic because I figure somebody will be asking this question in the future and doing it this way will make an answer easier to find.
 :eyebrows:

What are you finding is the ideal height for Omega monitors? Conventional wisdom with most speakers is that you want the tweeter at ear level. Is the consensus for Omega monitors that you want the center of the driver at ear level, too? And are any of you tilting your monitors back at all to change alignment relative to your ears?

I am kind of scratching my head over this because my listening position is a bit unusual. My room doubles as a guest bedroom and I sit on a day bed to listen to music - that puts my ears about 40" off the floor, IIRC, which I'm guessing is higher than would be the case on a conventional sofa or chair.

Anyway, given that I'm going to have to eventually buy a pair of fixed height stands, how do I get speaker height right the first time?

Thanks for your wisdom and guidance.   :dunno:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #27 on: 24 Jul 2015, 12:17 pm »
AlNiCo should be no different than any other.  Most advise having them at ear height.  A few manufacturers go lower "to allow the soundstage to travel overhead unimpeded".  Hope the bedroom setup is temporary (its a shame to waste good speakers with a lousy setup).

ozoid

« Reply #28 on: 25 Jul 2015, 09:00 am »
Rebbi—
My Alnico monitors are also in a less than optimal position. Mine are a bit higher than they should be. I found some monitor isolation pads on eBay, knock-offs of some made by Mo-pad and about ½ the price, that angle the speakers down by a few degrees.

Sounds like you need to angle yours up and, of course, all you have to do is turn around the isolation pads.

rebbi

« Reply #29 on: 29 Jul 2015, 12:12 am »
Rebbi—
My Alnico monitors are also in a less than optimal position. Mine are a bit higher than they should be. I found some monitor isolation pads on eBay, knock-offs of some made by Mo-pad and about ½ the price, that angle the speakers down by a few degrees.

Sounds like you need to angle yours up and, of course, all you have to do is turn around the isolation pads.

Ozoid,
 This is a terrific suggestion and I will look into doing something like this to give it a try.

On an entirely different note, I know this is a bit of an unusual thing to post in this sort of setting, but I wanted to share that my mom passed away over the weekend. She was 92 years old and had been suffering with Alzheimer's disease for a number of years.  She was a terrific person who gave thousands of volunteer hours doing pastoral care at hospitals.  She was married to my dad, age 93, for 73 years.

Her memory was a great blessing to all of us and I just wanted to share that.

ozoid

« Reply #30 on: 29 Jul 2015, 02:32 am »
Rebbi—
Terribly sorry to hear about your mom. Mine is 91 and healthy enough so I flew to Boston last month so she could attend her 70th college reunion. So many attended from that class that the college ran out of space in the guest house reserved for the classes 70 years out.

My dad passed last fall at 96 and I know what a loss it is, even when it's expected.

Hold onto those memories—
Oz

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #31 on: 29 Jul 2015, 06:08 am »
Our condolences Rebbi.....

CR

rebbi

« Reply #32 on: 30 Jul 2015, 02:12 am »
ozoid and Canada Rob,
Thanks for the kind thoughts.

TimF

« Reply #33 on: 30 Jul 2015, 09:26 am »
Just caught this, be well Rebbi, sorry for your loss!

Tim

seikosha

« Reply #34 on: 30 Jul 2015, 08:29 pm »
Rebbi,

Sorry for your loss.  It's a painful part of life and most of us will never get over completely.  She sounded like a great woman and it's great that you remember her that way.  Hang in there.

steve f

« Reply #35 on: 1 Aug 2015, 12:00 am »
Rebbi,

Deepest sympathy.

steve

rebbi

« Reply #36 on: 1 Aug 2015, 01:27 am »
Your kind and comforting words mean so much to me, folks. Thank you very much.

rebbi

« Reply #37 on: 7 Aug 2015, 03:00 am »
Beginning to come out of the fog... and thanks again to all of you who expressed condolences over my loss.

Louis says my Super Alnico Monitors in zebra wood should be shipping next week.   :thumb: