Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer
« Reply #200 on: 7 May 2021, 06:14 pm »
Hi James,
I know you are a busy man, but could you please give an update when I can expect to receive my preorder for the Bryston BR-20 in 17” black with hdmi upgrade as I placed my order in early November 2020.
I am located near Toronto
Thank you
Rob

Hi Rob

Which dealer and I will check.  It has been difficult as we were 108 units backordered before we started shipping.  We have shipped about 80 units now but are still over 100 backordered - the lockdown has not helped!

james

robbie2771

« Reply #201 on: 7 May 2021, 10:10 pm »
Hi Rob

Which dealer and I will check.  It has been difficult as we were 108 units backordered before we started shipping.  We have shipped about 80 units now but are still over 100 backordered - the lockdown has not helped!

james

Audio one in concord

dubkarma

• "God made man because he loves stories." - Canetti
« Reply #202 on: 13 May 2021, 10:16 pm »
Hello Mr. Tanner—

I'm ready to pre-order a BR-20 except. . .

I can't find any information on three specs that, for me, are important for system compatibility:

— maximum balanced analogue voltage input in Vrms or dBu
— maximum balanced analogue voltage output in Vrms or dBu
— analogue preamp gain in dB

Thanks,

Joel Tatelman
Toronto

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #203 on: 15 May 2021, 10:09 am »
Hi Joel,

I will have to ask Engineering on that.

james

dubkarma

« Reply #204 on: 15 May 2021, 02:47 pm »
Thanks, James.

Shall await further news.

Joel.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #205 on: 15 May 2021, 04:54 pm »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #206 on: 17 May 2021, 11:59 am »
Hi Folks,

There is a review on the BR-20 in the June issue of the German magazine 'Stereoplay'.  I do not speak German but I am told it's pretty good!

Conclusion:

With the BR-20, the Canadian company Bryston has a superlative streaming preamplifier in its range.

Although the firmware of the newcomer can still handle an update, what counts in the end is the absolutely professional technology, the top measurement results and the outstanding sound.

Hi James,

On the first Page of Review it is stated:

in German:
Bei dem brandaktuellen BR-20 hat der kanadische High-End-Hersteller Bryston mehrere Top-Einzelkomponenten in einem Gerät zusammengefasst. Das Resultat istein Streaming-Vorverstärker in professioneller Technik und höchster Klangqualität

In English:
With brand new BR-20 of the Canadian High-End-Manufacturer Bryston includes a few Top Separate units. The result is one Streaming/DAC/Preamp with professional credentials and the highest Sound Quality.

In German:
Kompromisslos eingesetzte Profitechnik beschert dem Bryston BR-20 exzellente Resultate für Messungen und Klang.

In English:
The professional design used without compromise brings Bryston BR-20 fantastic results in Measurements and Sound Quality.

« Last Edit: 17 May 2021, 07:36 pm by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #207 on: 17 May 2021, 03:57 pm »
Hello Mr. Tanner—

I'm ready to pre-order a BR-20 except. . .

I can't find any information on three specs that, for me, are important for system compatibility:

— maximum balanced analogue voltage input in Vrms or dBu
— maximum balanced analogue voltage output in Vrms or dBu
— analogue preamp gain in dB

Thanks,

Joel Tatelman
Toronto

Hi Joel

From engineering:

With all measurements performed at 1kHz and assuming 0.1% for the clipping point:

Max balanced input level is 5.75 Vrms

Max balanced output level is 14.0 Vrms

The analogue stages themselves are unity gain (input buffers and output driver) and the max system gain is +12dB with the level control at maximum.

Clive197

« Reply #208 on: 17 May 2021, 06:11 pm »
Hi Folks,

There is a review on the BR-20 in the June issue of the German magazine 'Stereoplay'.  I do not speak German but I am told it's pretty good!

Conclusion:

With the BR-20, the Canadian company Bryston has a superlative streaming preamplifier in its range.

Although the firmware of the newcomer can still handle an update, what counts in the end is the absolutely professional technology, the top measurement results and the outstanding sound.

James, any chance you would be able to get this translated so that we could all see this review?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #209 on: 17 May 2021, 06:54 pm »
James can I assume no analog section for DAC using preamp analog instead ? Great idea good luck.

charles

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #210 on: 18 May 2021, 01:37 pm »
Hi James,

I speak German and a rightly excellent review of the BR20! In particular they were absolutely blown away by the digital performance/measurements.

It’s not often the German mags use terms like “Das ist super!”.

Andrew

dubkarma

« Reply #211 on: 19 May 2021, 08:31 pm »
Hi Joel

From engineering:

With all measurements performed at 1kHz and assuming 0.1% for the clipping point:

Max balanced input level is 5.75 Vrms

Max balanced output level is 14.0 Vrms

The analogue stages themselves are unity gain (input buffers and output driver) and the max system gain is +12dB with the level control at maximum.

James, Many thanks for taking the trouble to get this information from Engineering. Exactly what I needed to know. Regards, Joel.

dubkarma

« Reply #212 on: 29 May 2021, 04:57 pm »
Hello James,

Sorry for not asking all my questions in a single post. . .

In the past with various Bryston products (e.g., the BCD-1 and the BDP-3), I was able to attached rack-ears to the sides of the case, thus enabling me to mount it in a standard 19" rack.

Will this also be possible with the BR-20?

Thanks! Joel Tatelman.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #213 on: 29 May 2021, 05:05 pm »
Hello James,

Sorry for not asking all my questions in a single post. . .

In the past with various Bryston products (e.g., the BCD-1 and the BDP-3), I was able to attached rack-ears to the sides of the case, thus enabling me to mount it in a standard 19" rack.

Will this also be possible with the BR-20?

Thanks! Joel Tatelman.

Hi Joel,

Thats a good question - I will ask engineering.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #214 on: 31 May 2021, 12:37 pm »
Hi Joel,

No sorry I checked and we do not have rack-ears for the BR-20 faceplates yet. We are looking at offering them in the future.

james
« Last Edit: 31 May 2021, 02:13 pm by James Tanner »

WillyP

« Reply #215 on: 1 Jun 2021, 12:11 pm »
Hello James,

Another favorable review of the BR-20, this time in the hi-fi news & Record Review of July 2021.

Verdict: DAC, network streamer and preamplier combined, Bryston’s BR-20 certainly gives you a lot for its ticket price. In an ideal world there’d be a bit more renement to both its physical appearance and control platform, but it’s an astonishing performer able to dig deep into the detail and nuance of tracks across all genres and sampling rates. Lace up to a potent balanced power amp and enjoy the show!

Sound Quality: 87%

WillyP

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #216 on: 1 Jun 2021, 12:16 pm »
Thanks Willy - much appreciated - I will look forward to reading the article.

james

Clive197

« Reply #217 on: 1 Jun 2021, 03:49 pm »
Hello James,

Another favorable review of the BR-20, this time in the hi-fi news & Record Review of July 2021.

Verdict: DAC, network streamer and preamplier combined, Bryston’s BR-20 certainly gives you a lot for its ticket price. In an ideal world there’d be a bit more renement to both its physical appearance and control platform, but it’s an astonishing performer able to dig deep into the detail and nuance of tracks across all genres and sampling rates. Lace up to a potent balanced power amp and enjoy the show!

Sound Quality: 87%

WillyP

How have you got that? I’ve got a subscription and my copy hasn’t arrived yet, officially not out till Friday.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #218 on: 1 Jun 2021, 04:16 pm »

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston BR-20 – U.K. Review

Hi Folks,

Review on the BR-20 in the June issue of the U.K. magazine 'hi-fi-news’ by Paul Miller. Check out the industry leading LAB results!

“Verdict:

DAC, network streamer and preamplifier combined.

Bryston’s BR-20 certainly gives you a lot for its ticket price. In an ideal world there’d be a bit more refinement to both its physical appearance and control platform, but it’s an astonishing performer able to dig deep into the detail and nuance of tracks across all genres and sampling rates.

Lace up to a potent balanced power amp and enjoy the show!”

•   ‘Precision’ is the watchword for this preamplifier, defining both its engineering and technical performance.

•   The digitally governed volume control, for example, precisely indicates the gain of the BR-20.

•   Maximum output is 13.5V and distortion through the midrange is ~0.00004%, and only slightly ‘higher’ at 0.00009-0.0002% for 0dBV (20Hz-20kHz).

•   The S/N is a wide 100dB (A-wtd, re. 0dBV) while the analogue in/out frequency response is flat to within ±0.01dB from 20Hz-20kHz and extends from 3Hz-100kHz at –0.3dB. Importantly, and in contrast with many amps/preamps, the volume circuit is correctly buffered and so the HF response does not change with volume position.

•   Distortion falls to as low as 0.00005% through the midrange and 0.00015% at 20kHz

•   The A-wtd S/N is fabulously wide at 118.4dB, linearity good to ±0.2dB over a 110dB range and channel separation all but ‘absolute’ at 145dB!

•   Jitter rejection is also nearly absolute at 145dB! Jitter rejection is also nearly absolute at <5psec.
« Last Edit: 2 Jun 2021, 12:09 pm by James Tanner »

Clive197

« Reply #219 on: 3 Jun 2021, 09:51 am »
Hi James

Silly nitpicking point (sorry). If you look at the top left of the cover photo it says July 2021. Still haven’t got my copy yet, so am going to have to phone the subscription dept.

Looks like a truly great review of this fantastic Pre/DAC/streamer. Pity they had to comment on its looks but I love it. Operating the BR-20 is still a bit of a PITA with my latest discovery being the balance control not working from remote (it does on main unit)!