C&C Best "Bang for the Buck" CD Player Recommendations for 4th. System

StereoNut

I am looking to put a 4th. system together. I have a Redgum RGi60ENR integrated and a pair of NHT SuperOne 2.1 bookshelf speakers to start with, but no source!

Thinking Cheap & Cheerful CD player recommendation under $500.00, preferably less. If someone has a Transport/DAC combo that fits the budget, that would be OK too.

TIAFYS

StereoNut
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2020, 12:29 am by StereoNut »

charmerci

If I wasn't using the digital out on a $5 thrift shop Sony player, I'd probably get this -

https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NAC538

witchdoctor

I would recommend Onkyo, they have a single player and a 6 disc changer as well. Look through some of these reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-C-7030-Compact-Player-Black/dp/B004UR487A/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=onkyo+cd+player&qid=1579214804&sr=8-4

Its also on sale on onkyo website:

https://www.onkyousa.com/product/c-7030-2/

StereoNut

Hey WitchDoctor - It's interesting that you recco'd the Onkyo because I have one in my office system!  :D

witchdoctor

Hey WitchDoctor - It's interesting that you recco'd the Onkyo because I have one in my office system!  :D

I have to say Onkyo is the definition of "bang for the buck". I bought an Onkyo 9 channel receiver (RZ630 for $340) for the man cave and was shocked by the SQ and the features and not just for the money. I wanted to get an Onkyo front end for my media room that was MQA compatible and got the DPX1 player. It is about the size of a cell phone and again, incredible SQ and is also portable. I have seen raves about their CDP so thought I'd post even though I don't own one. I saw one at Best Buy and almost bought it based on principle even though I mostly stream these days and my blueray doubles as my CDP. That price on the website is less than $200 this week.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
  +1 on the Oynko.

charles

Charles Calkins

I am looking to put a 4th. system together. I have a Redgum RGi60ENR integrated and a pair of NHT SuperOne 2.1 bookshelf speakers to start with, but no source!

Thinking Cheap & Cheerful CD player recommendation under $500.00, preferably less. If someone has a Transport/DAC combo that fits the budget, that would be OK too.

TIAFYS

StereoNut

If you have a DVD player laying around they will play CD's

FireGuy

How about this?  https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marcd5005/marantz-cd5005-compact-disc-player/1.html

I 2nd the Accessories4less option.  Been going there for years with good success.   I have this unit below (almost) except it's a 5-disc (CD-C600).  Operation and quality are omnipresent.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamcds300bl/yamaha-cd-s300-single-disc-cd-player/1.html

witchdoctor

I 2nd the Accessories4less option.  Been going there for years with good success.   I have this unit below (almost) except it's a 5-disc (CD-C600).  Operation and quality are omnipresent.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamcds300bl/yamaha-cd-s300-single-disc-cd-player/1.html
The link says sold out :cry:

Sparky14

Just find a nice Japanese made player from the 80s. My JVC XL-Z431 ($40 on ebay) is built like a tank and sounds great.

StereoNut

Thanks, everyone. I've been in the middle of transferring files from my old computer to a new one, so just got to see a lot of your replies.

SN

Stu Pitt

Under $500 source? Easy... Bluesound Node 2 from Safe And Sound for $399. Especially for a 4th system where you don’t have to bring CDs back and forth to.

https://www.safeandsoundhq.com/products/bluesound-node-2-streaming-music-player-with-wifi-and-bluetooth?_pos=10&_sid=201ad10fe&_ss=r

Perhaps a better idea - Audioquest Dragonfly (whatever color you choose) and an Audioquest Evergreen mini to RCA cable. If you’ve got an iPhone/iPad/iPod, get the Apple camera cable. If not, the USB whatever it’s called to get the digital audio stream out. I did a Dragonfly black and Evergreen into a Parasound Zpre3 and M-Audio BX8s. Sounds fantastic for what I paid. The Dragonfly and Evergreen sounds better on my Bryston/Audio Physic main system, but I don’t use it there beyond seeing what it could do.

For a system that’s presumably not where your CDs are, I’d go streaming in one form or another. Maybe an inexpensive Bluetooth receiver with analog outs.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Since the first thing to go on all inexpensive players is the transport I was looking at the Tascam players.  It's Teac's professional line and they're built like a tank.  Discounted to $299 everywhere, there's only one that's not a recorder, can't remember the model number, 200 something, but it comes up first on Google   I was mostly looking for a transport so didn't research sound quality, not sure how much different they sound at this price point.  I ended up buying a used universal player, but still like the Tascam units.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Usually Teac VRDS along with Denon DCD line use Sony KSS151A transport, very reliable one of the best.

StereoNut

Hey Stu,

I love the alternative way of approaching this! Maybe I have to completely re-think my approach?

SN

Stu Pitt

Hey Stu,

I love the alternative way of approaching this! Maybe I have to completely re-think my approach?

SN
I’m not anti-CDP and saying streaming always sounds better, join the 21st century, etc. I’m just looking at it from a practical standpoint. Where are your CDs? Where’s the system? Do you want to get into the whole “where’s that CD? I don’t feel like going to get it” thing if you don’t have to. If you’ve got music on your phone, Wi-Fi, and so on, a Bluetooth receiver would probably be the cheapest and easiest way. Several hifi companies make add-on Bluetooth receivers - Audioquest, Focal, Arcam, iFi just to name a few off the top of my head. I was going to go that route but bought a Node 2 that I linked to instead. It does Bluetooth, but I just use the streaming instead through Ethernet.

I just think CDs scattered around the house in several rooms is too much of a pain in the ass to be bothered with if you don’t have to. If it’s for a critical listening system and you’ve got/want a great CDP, that’s one thing; if you’re looking for a source for another system, that another.

I’ve got the Dragonfly/Zpre/BX8 system in my basement and use it when I hit the punching bag and stuff like that. I’ve got the Node with my Bryston B60/Rega DAC/Audio Physics in my main room. Both sources have been great in their respective environment. I’ve got an old Pioneer receiver and some pretty awful Bose 201s that I’m going to put in my garage once that’s cleaned up (just moved in and everything’s in there). I’ll definitely get a Bluetooth receiver for a source for that system when it’s time. It’s just too simple and convenient not to. I don’t want to bring CDs back and forth from system to system and lose track of where they are. Yes, I kept all my CDs after I ripped them to my hard drive, so it is an option for me; just not a non-aggravating one.

Just some thoughts.