Comparing Cherry Amps to NAD M27 and Parasound A51 ....AND OTHERS

Samoyed

Tommy, I sent you an email. His offer is nice, and quite near, but his speakers are so much better than mine I suspect I’d not hear what I need to hear.

Samoyed

Tommy, did you receive my email?  I’m very interested.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Tommy, did you receive my email?  I’m very interested.

Yes.  Will reply soon.  Thanks.

-Tommy O

RonN5

In theory, amplifiers should have no sound of their own…but in reality, we want them to perform magic…deep bass, big soundstage, sweet highs, etc.  And, probably because designers know this…and because their hearing is their hearing, amps do sound different.

My question is simple, is there any reason at any given price point, so let’s say $1500 or $5000, why a well-designed class d amp should sound better than a well-designed class a/b amp?  Or, is it really about sound preference…meaning in my room, in my system, listening to my music after a couple of weeks of switching between various amps, I conclude that I PREFER amp X…yet someone else may prefer amp Y... and so even if I’m happy with my Halo, PS Audio, Audio Alchemy…I should try a Bryston, Channel Island or Cherry because I might be even happier?

jonbee

In theory, amplifiers should have no sound of their own…but in reality, we want them to perform magic…deep bass, big soundstage, sweet highs, etc.  And, probably because designers know this…and because their hearing is their hearing, amps do sound different.

My question is simple, is there any reason at any given price point, so let’s say $1500 or $5000, why a well-designed class d amp should sound better than a well-designed class a/b amp?  Or, is it really about sound preference…meaning in my room, in my system, listening to my music after a couple of weeks of switching between various amps, I conclude that I PREFER amp X…yet someone else may prefer amp Y... and so even if I’m happy with my Halo, PS Audio, Audio Alchemy…I should try a Bryston, Channel Island or Cherry because I might be even happier?
My first thought is that the post implies that amps should "sound" the same. But in fact we don't listen to amps, but to speakers or headphones. Transducers are very non-linear, electrically and acoustically, so the result of an amp "filtered" through a transducer will vary a lot.
My experience is that modern well designed amps do sound similar on a given transducer, but the transducers have the final say about what the listener gets to hear.
The prices of suitably "well designed" amps also vary greatly by architecture, with tubes being the priciest to built to a given standard, and newer Class D designs are redefining the value end of the scale, with A/B somewhere in between. So, budgetary concerns play into it as well.
So to me, my Maraschinos sound "as good as" but not "the same as" the $10,000 tube amps I hear, but depending on the transducers and personal taste others may well (and do) judge it differently.
Does chocolate taste as good as vanilla?
Only listening yourself can answer the question, but if you are happy with your sound, relax and enjoy the music.

OzarkTom

Most of us here are addicted. We could have the best sounding amp in the world, but we must try another. That is why we are always searching, trading. I am sure the Marachinos are not the best in the world in amps, but n the Class D realm, they are the best I have ever heard after trying so many.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical

Exactly, regarding "amplifiers should have no sound of their own".  Steven Stone called the Cherry MEGA "the embodiment of the longstanding audiophile ideal of a straight wire with gain":
https://hometheaterreview.com/digital-amplifier-company-megaschino-power-amplifier-reviewed/

RonN5

And yet many would say that after auditioning several well thought of…well spec’s amplifiers in their home systems…there are sonic differences…a little more forward…a little more open…etc., so generally speaking, is this more likely to be the “sound of the amplifier” or the way the amplifier itself is reacting to the preamp and speakers and so we hear those interactions? 

I guess the reality is you can’t really know how you will hear/relate to a particular piece of equipment until you live with it at home for a while.  One thing I’ve noticed about the Cherry family of amplifiers…unlike most other “brands”, you almost never see the Cherries on the resale market…meaning their owners must love them.

sumoking

After having a boutique audio store and being an enthusiast
for over 40 years, I have never heard an amp offer so
much! or better said- so little. Gone are my fav. Class A SS or fine custom
tube SET amps. To boot, the price is extremely reasonable.

Tommy is such a fine person to deal with as well.
Thank you Wind Chaser for your recommendation.

ajzepp

Most of us here are addicted. We could have the best sounding amp in the world, but we must try another. That is why we are always searching, trading. I am sure the Marachinos are not the best in the world in amps, but n the Class D realm, they are the best I have ever heard after trying so many.

This is so true. I love my Butler amp that I've had for over a decade, but every I love class D tech, and every time I see the specs on these cherry amps I get the urge to spend money. Maggies love power, and they sing even with the 125wpc ICE modules in my Peachtree Nova integrated...I can only imagine how they'd sound with the Cherry products.

Wind Chaser

When I consider my system in terms of what I plan to keep and what is slated for an upgrade, everything is on the table except for the Maraschino amps. The purity of these little wonders is astonishing. Unlike all my previous amps including many tube amps, these leave nothing to be desired.

smargo

When I consider my system in terms of what I plan to keep and what is slated for an upgrade, everything is on the table except for the Maraschino amps. The purity of these little wonders is astonishing. Unlike all my previous amps including many tube amps, these leave nothing to be desired.

i kinda have to agree with wind chaser - its challenging to trust your ears - when there is so much noise of naysayers -  purity of sound is strictly an ear thing - its like a muscle that has to be developed

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Any other amps worth comparing against Cherry?

Here's a comparison against Parasound Halo JC-1 (now discontinued):
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=155295.0

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
The new x-CHerry....
« Reply #33 on: 14 Aug 2019, 03:07 pm »
Any suggestions on amps to compare against the new x-CHerry?

The x-CHerry is a 2-5 channel Maraschino monoblock based amp, 400Wpc into 4Ω.

Here’s our web page for x-CHerry:
https://www.cherryamp.com/5-channel-amp

Maybe the Parasound A51 to start??