Modern looking Salks - Your ideas are welcome

gchuva

Modern looking Salks - Your ideas are welcome
« on: 29 Jul 2010, 04:27 pm »
I've been eyeing an HT3 Home Theater system for years.  I finally found a new, higher paying job (quite lucky in this economy) and am going to celebrate with a new set of speakers.

Wood veneers are out.  I really liked:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72060.0

and

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=69122.0.

If anyone else has other examples of modern-looking Salk speakers or has suggestions, I would be happy to hear them.

Thanks

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Modern looking Salks - Your ideas are welcome
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2010, 04:31 pm »

These are my favorite color scheme so far that I've seen...HT3's done up like these would work for me... :dance:
I'm not sure how it would translate...

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2010, 05:11 pm »
The Cuisinart look would be unique.

mca

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2010, 05:42 pm »

I think these are awesome!

cacophony777

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2010, 10:05 pm »
There's always the high gloss hand rubbed piano finish!  :D

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jul 2010, 10:08 pm »

gchuva

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jul 2010, 02:18 am »

I think these are awesome!

Yes these are my favorite so far.  I was thinking about getting them done with a high gloss finish and using stainless steel or chrome instead of aluminum (to be original).  Any opinions on whether that would look good?

srb

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jul 2010, 02:46 am »
Yes these are my favorite so far.  I was thinking about getting them done with a high gloss finish and using stainless steel or chrome instead of aluminum (to be original).  Any opinions on whether that would look good?

In the topic about the speakers with the inlaid metal stringers, Jim said:
Little did we know how much of a problem we were getting into.  Finishing them was a real nightmare.  So we probably won't do that combination again.

And the speakers that were clad in aluminum:
I thought it would be quite easy, but it turned out to be far more work than expected.  We were able to flush trim the metal to the cabinets, but there was a lot of hand filing required.  Rather than the couple of hours I estimated for this part of the job, it took Ammar about a week and a half to complete that part of the job.

Because both were so labor intensive, it would definitely be a very high cost option.  If you could be happy with just a custom color (metallic?) lacquer paint job, you would save a lot of money.

Steve

Mudslide

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jul 2010, 03:12 am »
Those dark selections are pretty darn sexy.  If you want a lighter suggestion...check out the maple/maple burl SongBird, winner of this poll.....

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=77280.0

gchuva

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jul 2010, 03:51 am »

In the topic about the speakers with the inlaid metal stringers, Jim said:
And the speakers that were clad in aluminum:
Because both were so labor intensive, it would definitely be a very high cost option.  If you could be happy with just a custom color (metallic?) lacquer paint job, you would save a lot of money.

Steve

I would be up for a color rather than a metal, but it would have to look really good.  No point spending so much for the overall system (my estimate is 15,000 plus shipping) but being unhappy with the look over an extra $2,000 or so.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jul 2010, 03:58 am »

I like the metallic look.  A gold or copper foil would look very nice, but it's so expensive.

srb

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jul 2010, 04:03 am »
I would be up for a color rather than a metal, but it would have to look really good.  No point spending so much for the overall system (my estimate is 15,000 plus shipping) but being unhappy with the look over an extra $2,000 or so.

Well, that's true.  I'm sure a number of people will be interested to know if Jim will do the stringers and what the option charge would be.  I did see some cabinets (not Salk) in another topic that were finished in a deep charcoal metallic lacquer that were extremely nice looking.

Steve

gchuva

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jul 2010, 06:32 am »

Well, that's true.  I'm sure a number of people will be interested to know if Jim will do the stringers and what the option charge would be.  I did see some cabinets (not Salk) in another topic that were finished in a deep charcoal metallic lacquer that were extremely nice looking.

Steve

Any way you can point to the thread with the photo of the charcoal speakers?

srb

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jul 2010, 06:48 am »
Any way you can point to the thread with the photo of the charcoal speakers?

The photos I remembered and called charcoal were actually

Anthracite Gray Pearl (from Fallen Enclosures):
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=80417.0

and

Pyrite Mica (from Fallen Enclosures):
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=80417.msg774711#msg774711

Steve

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #14 on: 25 Aug 2010, 05:33 am »
I did see some cabinets (not Salk) in another topic that were finished in a deep charcoal metallic lacquer that were extremely nice looking.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Glad you like them!  :D

FWIW, It's actually a 2 stage urethane.

Ruben

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #15 on: 25 Aug 2010, 05:36 am »
Hi Jim,

Love the "stringers". :thumb:

Beautiful work...

Ruben

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #16 on: 25 Aug 2010, 03:34 pm »
No disrespect to Jim, but in looking at the black HT1s in the "outdoor" background above, I had a crazy thought that this would make a great rural or suburban mailbox model.

Make the whole thing weatherproof, replace the actual speakers with photos or drawings of them, hinge the faceplate at the bottom, add a red musical note as a mailman flag, and that would sure make a nice outdoor mailbox.  :)

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #17 on: 25 Aug 2010, 04:47 pm »
  For me an expensive finish is not where I would like to put my money. A good solid wood enclosure with a wood veneer or pant would suffice. The money saved on the finish would allow for better part selection in the crossover and drivers.
  Great sound good looks is the ticket IMO. BTW your speakers are beautiful as is.

charles

coke

« Reply #18 on: 25 Aug 2010, 05:42 pm »
  For me an expensive finish is not where I would like to put my money. A good solid wood enclosure with a wood veneer or pant would suffice. The money saved on the finish would allow for better part selection in the crossover and drivers.
  Great sound good looks is the ticket IMO. BTW your speakers are beautiful as is.

charles

Those were my exact thoughts also, but then I chose to go with something that cost a little more. I have no regrets  :D

ratso

« Reply #19 on: 28 Aug 2010, 05:28 pm »
I've been eyeing an HT3 Home Theater system for years.  I finally found a new, higher paying job (quite lucky in this economy) and am going to celebrate with a new set of speakers.

Wood veneers are out.  I really liked:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72060.0

robert has these black ones up for sale now in the for sale section.