HT3's/HT1's in satin black with aluminum stringers

jsalk

HT3's/HT1's in satin black with aluminum stringers
« on: 27 Sep 2009, 02:04 am »

Robert wanted HT3's, an HTC 3-way and a pair of HT1's in satin black.  But he had a special request - he wanted aluminum stringers.  Sure, we said.  Little did we know how much of a problem we were getting into.  Finishing them was a real nightmare.  So we probably won't do that combination again.  But, in the end, they turned out real nice.

Here are some pictures...

And the HT3's...

The 3-way HTC center is still being developed, but will be done soon.

Happy listening Robert!

- Jim

MaxCast

Re: HT3's/HT1's in satin black with aluminum stringers
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2009, 02:07 am »
Very nice.  Best pair of black speakers I have seen.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2009, 02:30 am »
So very nice. :thumb:  Just beautiful. 

srb

« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2009, 02:40 am »
Wow.

Finishing them was a real nightmare.  So we probably won't do that combination again.

So no metal stringers, not even for an extra $20 per speaker?

Robert, congratulations on a beautiful, unique one-of-a-kind speaker ensemble.

Steve

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2009, 02:43 am »
Hey Jim   You've got to figure out a way to de-nightmare the finishing process.  The combo of the stringers and the aluminum drivers is a real knock out.   

ardee

« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2009, 03:57 am »
Jim, they are sweet.  They are just what I was looking for.   
Thanks for the comments guys.    I can hardly wait to see them for myself.

I agree with you Dennis, they are a knock out.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2009, 04:20 am »
Astounding.

Nuance

« Reply #7 on: 27 Sep 2009, 05:44 am »
Congrats, ardee.  You've got great taste man!  They are fabulous!

carusoracer

« Reply #8 on: 27 Sep 2009, 03:07 pm »
Sorry Jim,
But the request might still come in :lol:. Very nice speaker and tastefully done with the stringers! :drool:
Congratulations!

Philistine

« Reply #9 on: 27 Sep 2009, 04:37 pm »
Great Speakers Robert, and great style.

Guess there's no chance of a retrofit Jim :green:

vintagebob

« Reply #10 on: 27 Sep 2009, 04:53 pm »
Alright ardee!  Very nice.  I'm not sure how you're going to be able to listen to music with those in the room.  :o   I guess you just have to turn out the lights?!

srb

« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2009, 04:57 pm »
I'm trying to figure out in my mind how I would get the metal stringers smooth and flush.  It sure would be a lot easier trying to flush those with solid hardwood, but with more delicate veneer or paint, sounds very tricky.

I'm sure Jim will look into the possibility of streamlining the process, but it will still require a good amount of labor.  Probably safe to say, it can only be accomplished with softer metals like aluminum or brass, not stainless steel (oooh - stainless sounds nice!).

Given that the Hand-rubbed, high-gloss piano lacquer finish adds $1500/pair to the price of HT2/HT3 to account for the massive labor, I'm sure a price could be arrived at for the metal stringers, but even with a more efficient procedure, won't be cheap.

No, I would guess for you, the best you could hope for is to find a really good automotive pin-striper!

Steve

K Shep

« Reply #12 on: 27 Sep 2009, 05:18 pm »
Great Speakers Robert, and great style.

Philistine,

Is that acoustic foam wrapped in the corner behind your speaker?  It looks great, I am always looking for ideas on room treatment.  I looked in your gallery and you don't have any more photos of your setup.  Do you care to elaborate?  Sorry wrong thread to discuss acoustics.

Kirk

Philistine

« Reply #13 on: 27 Sep 2009, 05:40 pm »
Kirk - I'll respond in more detail by pm in order not to detract from this thread, but basically it is a product from RPG, Studio In A Box.
Phil

fishinbob

« Reply #14 on: 27 Sep 2009, 08:09 pm »
Congratulations on you choice Robert.

I like the look of the silver and black together too, but of course I'm prejudiced.

Curious about the driver selection/configuration for the new HTC (monster?) Same as the HT3?
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2009, 09:57 pm by fishinbob »

xls7

« Reply #15 on: 27 Sep 2009, 09:49 pm »
They do look fantastic, of course.  Bummer that it's such a problem to do.  Would a thin stripe of metal-flake finish paint look that much different/worse, if people want something similar in the future?

jsalk

« Reply #16 on: 27 Sep 2009, 10:17 pm »
They do look fantastic, of course.  Bummer that it's such a problem to do.  Would a thin stripe of metal-flake finish paint look that much different/worse, if people want something similar in the future?

Great minds think alike! While we would certainly be willing to do aluminum again, we would have to charge a significant premium for them.  The problem is, the sealer simply does not adhere to the aluminum.  So after every single coat, all the stringers need to be sanded completely.  Then there is the problem of spraying black.  If the color runs into the aluminum, we have to quit spraying, let the lacquer cure, sand them down completely again and only then can we start shooting black all over again.  The result is a couple more days of delay.  Once you get them sealed and colored right, the topcoat does a good job and everything is OK.  But all the labor to install the aluminum, rout the aluminum, sand the aluminum and finish the aluminum really adds up. 

If anyone was ever to ask for this finish in the future, my recommendation would be to spray silver or even gunmetal gray automotive paint with a metal flake in it.  The look would be very similar and it wouldn't cost all that much to do.  So I think you are on the right track!

- Jim

ardee

« Reply #17 on: 28 Sep 2009, 02:35 am »
I appreciate all the comments again guys.    Just reading them tells me what that Jim pulled off what I was wanting.    Jim never fails to come through.

Congratulations on you choice Robert.

I like the look of the silver and black together too, but of course I'm prejudiced.

Curious about the driver selection/configuration for the new HTC (monster?) Same as the HT3?
Fishinbob
I remember when you got your speakers.  I was still debating how to get mine done.   Your speakers along with others that got stringers around the same time (give or take) helped me decide what to do.

The HTC will not be a "monster" like the V3 center.   Yes, the same drivers as the HT3.   I am really looking forward to seeing it and finding out how it was actually completed, if that makes sense.

funkmonkey

« Reply #18 on: 29 Sep 2009, 12:46 pm »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:  those look very cool indeed!  very slick.

Jim just to throw an idea out there about any future metal inlays...  would it make sense to do all the routing and finish the cabinets up to the point just before the top coat; and then inlay the Aluminum (or brass, or stainless, or copper) stringers?  Then finish up everything with the top coat. 

Another idea I had would be to make the stringers inset 1/8" or so.  Like a groove with the metal inlayed in the valley, might be a cool detail (might not).  Ribbed, if you will.  I have done this for architectural details and it looks very cool.  Certainly would make it easier to finish if you no longer were concerned about having the surfaces flush out.  :wink:

This tradesman can certainly appreciate all the extra work that went into making this set look as fantastic as they do.  Beautiful work (again) Jim and crew.  One more example of going the extra mile for the customer.   :D

anxious to see how the 3-way HTC comes out...

Cheers,
Greg

ardee

« Reply #19 on: 2 Oct 2009, 08:45 pm »
 :rock:  8)