Welcome to The Tube-O-Phile Circle

Gearguy

Re: Welcome to The Tube-O-Phile Circle
« Reply #40 on: 8 Nov 2019, 12:21 am »
Greetings!

So glad to find the Circle and the tube aficionados. I will soon have a modified ST70 Dynaco I will feed from a Schitt DAC, a turn table and old PAT4 preamp as needed. I really like using both analog and digital... I use my Hasselblad w/film and edit/print the scans digitally. Best of both worlds.

I'm contemplating building GR XLS speakers. Question: will 35 wpc be ok for moderate listening levels in a small room? A good sonic match?

Thank you,.

SET Man

« Reply #41 on: 8 Nov 2019, 01:53 am »
Greetings!

So glad to find the Circle and the tube aficionados. I will soon have a modified ST70 Dynaco I will feed from a Schitt DAC, a turn table and old PAT4 preamp as needed. I really like using both analog and digital... I use my Hasselblad w/film and edit/print the scans digitally. Best of both worlds.

I'm contemplating building GR XLS speakers. Question: will 35 wpc be ok for moderate listening levels in a small room? A good sonic match?

Thank you,.

Hey!

Welcome to the Audio Circle and especially to the tube circle. I think you probably the first one to mentioned tube and Hasselblad film camera together on the first post, that's cool man  8)

Well, I'm running SET amps with Fostex 6" single driver speaker and I have Hassy 500C/Ms with 50mm f4 T*, 80mm f2.8 T*, 150mm f4 all chrome and 3 120 backs. Mostly B&W, I can't seem to get B&W from my current digital cam Sony A7II the same way I get from film still.

Anyway, I'm not familiar with the speaker you've mentioned, but I'm sure someone here can comment on that one. Selecting speaker is not easy, you have to factor in how big is your room, how loud you listen, and of course how is your budget.

Buddy

Gearguy

« Reply #42 on: 8 Nov 2019, 01:12 pm »
Thanks Buddy! I appreciate it. Tube audio can provides the "sump'in sump'in" in the same way film does.

mick wolfe

« Reply #43 on: 8 Nov 2019, 04:28 pm »
Greetings!

Thank you,.

Shouldn't be a problem at all. Don't know what modified ST 70 you have, but modern versions of the ST70 like the AVA Ultravalve and Latino sound much stronger than their 35-40 watt ratings. The GR speaker mentioned looks to have typical tube friendly specs for a small 2-way as well.

Gearguy

« Reply #44 on: 12 Nov 2019, 02:34 am »
Thanks Mick.

Just ordered Peter Rawlins' flatpack XL-S cabinets, and will build out the GR speakers soon.

Parallel project is a Raspberry PI/DAC streamer.

Delpo

« Reply #45 on: 10 Mar 2020, 03:04 am »
Thanks for the info presented. Great learning tool!

letch

« Reply #46 on: 5 May 2020, 12:06 am »
Sadly, I just sent my Sonic Frontiers Power 2 off for service. Hope it's well. I bought a MHDT Orchid tube DAC today. Figure my analog playback is tube (Sonic Frontiers phono stage) so getting more tubes is good. Funny to see people mentioning Hasselblad since I also shoot with a Hassy. Print in a color darkroom. Also shoot with a 4x5 view camera (Ebony) so I guess that explains my preferences.

Colnagofan

« Reply #47 on: 12 Jun 2020, 10:38 pm »
Just wanted to introduce myself. I love tube amps and tubes. I am running a Jolida 302B with all NOS tubes. Love the amp. Love the glow. Nice to have a friendly place To talk tube stuff.

- Steven

Kw6

« Reply #48 on: 23 Jan 2021, 06:31 pm »
Is Tungsol EL34 new production the best out there for new tubes? Has anyone heard the new JJ El34 version 2?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #49 on: 23 Jan 2021, 06:39 pm »
Psvane is the best current production EL34 tube, IMO.  The HiFi series or especially the Philips series are excellent.

Kw6

« Reply #50 on: 24 Jan 2021, 08:12 pm »
Ok thanks! I was also considering Gold Lion KT77!

jjss49

« Reply #51 on: 25 Jan 2021, 03:38 am »
Just wanted to introduce myself. I love tube amps and tubes. I am running a Jolida 302B with all NOS tubes. Love the amp. Love the glow. Nice to have a friendly place To talk tube stuff.

- Steven

do you use blu tack to hold the components upside down from the rack shelving?   :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #52 on: 25 Jan 2021, 06:12 am »
Magic...

Ulmer

« Reply #53 on: 29 Jan 2021, 04:44 pm »
Ok thanks! I was also considering Gold Lion KT77!

I know it's very subjective assessing tubes, but I switched from stock Primaluna EL34 to Gold Lion KT77 (in an Evo 300 Integrated) and I'm quite happy with them. Definitely worth a try, IMO.

TheGM

« Reply #54 on: 13 May 2021, 09:17 pm »
Hello,
I am a tube audiophile from way back. I built my own many years ago.
Now there are so many excellent tube amps, kit building seems almost pointless.
I am also a fan of tube rolling. Currently trying some NOS RCA Clear Tops in my preamp section.
Very nice so far.

JakeJ

« Reply #55 on: 14 May 2021, 12:48 am »
Welcome and hello to all the new members of the Tube-O-Phile Circle.  Great to have some new blood.

sunnydaze

« Reply #56 on: 14 May 2021, 03:32 am »
........ Currently trying some NOS RCA Clear Tops in my preamp section.
Very nice so far.

Wouldn't be surprised if you find them bright in the long term.  That's been my experience every single time I've tried them, no matter the gear.

thargrove

« Reply #57 on: 18 May 2021, 08:01 pm »
Hello and welcome fellow tube-o-philiacs,

I’m sorry to be a bit late in rolling out the welcome mat but I see it hasn’t stopped anyone and that’s great!  That’s kind of a rule of thumb when visitors come to my home, if you want something then speak up, or just help yourself.

This Circle is for those who love tubes, their soft glow, and their wonderful sound.  Please feel free to spout off about your tube-based gear and system.  Show us the new (and old) tube gear you own or just bought.  Got a Nixie tube clock?  Tell us where you got it (or how you made it) and how much it costs, someone else may want one too.  If it's electronic and got a bottle in it we want to know and see!

Circuit topology discussions, kits and their manufacturers, tube choices and sonic comparisons are all welcome.  Solid state rectification and voltage regulation allowed.  DIY is also allowed but if you already started in The Lab then feel free to place a cross reference link here, and vice versa.  Please, ladies and gentlemen, no arguments about tubes vs. solid-state, both have a place in our audio universe and I own both.

Have a thermionically enhanced day,
JakeJ

Hello, I am brand new here and wish to start educating myself on tube type equipment.
I just got a VTL pre-amplifier and amplifier and have a lot of questions about the equipment.
Is VTL still in business and I have an amplifier that has a dead channel with a blown fuse.
Thanks

Mike Kelly

« Reply #58 on: 8 Jun 2021, 04:22 am »
Greetings all! Noob to the forum over here. My gateway drug was a Little Dot MKIII (lowest gain setting to avoid clipping, used as a pre-amp into the CD input of my integrated amp) and the GREAT "Little Dot MKIII tube rolling" thread over at headFi.org. Thats where I first learned about how to pick different tubes that might appeal to me. And it was on  :lol: After obsessing a lot over tube minutiae, and learning about how to research, buy and listen to the different things that the little dot could do with tube rolling, I got some Rogue audio gear, (more obsession and research and rolling) and the current set up is a Don Sachs Pre-Amp and a Cary Audio CAD120 MKII-S. I can't imagine ever having a Non-tube system any more. Im really glad to find a bunch of fellow tube nerds. And I could talk for DAYS about this pre-amp. Its incredible.

cheech

« Reply #59 on: 8 Jun 2021, 04:08 pm »
thargrove

googled VTL - webpage comes up - guess you can click on the contact page and give them a call if you haven't already

https://www.vtl.com/