TV Not Working

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
TV Not Working
« on: 14 Dec 2018, 02:57 am »
The TV in my flat in Taiwan won't turn on. The power light (or is it the stand-by light?) is on, but the screen is not lighting up. This TV sits for several months without being used. This time it's been 6 or 7 months since it was last used. It's only 4 or 5 years old. [Interestingly, we've got two computer monitors that sit idle and boxed up for the same time period, and they work just fine.]

Taiwan's climate is similar to Atlanta's or New Orleans during most of the year - hot and humid.

With this little information, can anyone guess what part(s) may have died? There are shops that specialize in fixing dead electronics here, so that will be my next step unless we decide to buy a new TV to replace the old one. Alternatively, I might simply buy a large computer monitor instead as we are not into watching much TV, but use computers every day.

Thanks.

Michael

skunark

Re: TV Not Working
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2018, 04:01 am »
I assume you’ve unplug the TV for a few minutes remove network and all hdmi before turning it back on?

mresseguie

« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2018, 04:02 am »
I'm afraid we have not thought of this, but I'll give it a shot.  :thumb:

Thank you!

No change. I unplugged it twice.  :(
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2018, 05:17 am by mresseguie »

skunark

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2018, 05:45 am »
Sorry to hear that didn’t do the trick.   Good luck with the repairs or replacement. 

rodge827

« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2018, 11:38 am »
What type of TV is it?
I ask this since parts for even a 5 yr old TV might be hard to come by. We just went through a similar issue with our Panny plasma. Panasonic stopped making plasma and subsequently the parts. 
Usually the issue is with the power supply which was the case with mine. I picked up the latest Visio with full array led. It looked great sitting directly in front but from even slight viewing angles the contrast got all screwed up. I called around to a few TV repair places and got the Panny repaired for about a third the cost of the new set. Back to Best Buy went the Visio and I hope the Panny will last a few more years since it has a great picture. The only TV close in picture quality are the new OLED (Organic LED) sets. But the cost was out of my budget range.
Chris

mresseguie

« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2018, 12:36 pm »
Hi, Chris.

Well, it was a fairly inexpensive LED set that is made by a Taiwan company called Heran. We were limited by how much money we were willing to spend, so we bought 'local' instead of splurging for an LG, Samsung, Sony, etc. It wasn't a particularly great TV when we bought it. There are duties on all imported TVs, audio equipment, and other goods.

I'll check with my wife to see just how she prefers we deal with this. I'd just as soon replace it with a new big screen computer monitor which could also be used to watch the occasional video or Netflix flick.

Michael

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2018, 01:01 pm »
THe most likely possible causes are: a switch contact has gotten so dirty it no longer works. or a relay is stuck. (not a big chance it is a relay in a TV though) A critical capacitor has died is the number one likely cause.
When you press the power switch is there anything? if you leave it on does it get warm at all? (so 'something' is working but no screen? Or does it stay cold?
Cold more likely switch or main power capacitor.
Warm but no pic some electronics capacitor.
If not going to fix, ALWAYS a good try give it a couple of good WACKS with you palm of hand. Or lift it maybe five cm and drop it the 5cm onto a hard surface vertially, I mean DROP IT hard. Amazing how this can solve problems!

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2018, 04:12 pm »

If not going to fix, ALWAYS a good try give it a couple of good WACKS with you palm of hand. Or lift it maybe five cm and drop it the 5cm onto a hard surface vertially, I mean DROP IT hard. Amazing how this can solve problems!

Dropping it hard might not work but at least you’ll feel better.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2018, 04:38 pm »
Dropping it hard might not work but at least you’ll feel better.
Dropping something 5cm is not going to make anyone feel better. Throwing it out the fifth floor window might.  :popcorn:

A_shah

« Reply #9 on: 15 Dec 2018, 07:56 am »
The TV in my flat in Taiwan won't turn on. The power light (or is it the stand-by light?) is on, but the screen is not lighting up. This TV sits for several months without being used. This time it's been 6 or 7 months since it was last used. It's only 4 or 5 years old. [Interestingly, we've got two computer monitors that sit idle and boxed up for the same time period, and they work just fine.]

Taiwan's climate is similar to Atlanta's or New Orleans during most of the year - hot and humid.

With this little information, can anyone guess what part(s) may have died? There are shops that specialize in fixing dead electronics here, so that will be my next step unless we decide to buy a new TV to replace the old one. Alternatively, I might simply buy a large computer monitor instead as we are not into watching much TV, but use computers every day.

i had similar  problem with my 4 year  LG 3D TV which sits in our bedroom, I looked at a Utube video on repairs  and and found out other people had  similar  problems with with LG TV called LG and they  recommended  a repair shop in Modesto who would fix it for me claiming would cost me between  $ 100/300 , before deciding to do that I just "hit" the TV slightly in the back and tightened  the PC Voila !   3 months it is working fine !
I just picked up a Vizio P-65 Quantum Dot Smart TV on sale from  Costco figured I'd send it back to Costco after trial l period for 90 Wow ! what a GR8 Tv although not as good as the OLED from LG but having used a 58" Panasonic Plasma  TV for 11 years which  still refuses to die on me ! , Since I do watch   TV just about every day more or less . I  realized not having a 4K HDR TV I was  missing  a lot when it comes to watching  UHD movies .
Also picked" B "stock Audeze ISine 20 IEM they are still on sale using it with Chord Mojo and Audeze Deckard HPA  just blew me away ! I think it sounds better than my LCD-X you should  try it Michael ! you will love it !

Thanks.

Asghar

mresseguie

« Reply #10 on: 15 Dec 2018, 09:54 am »
I remember watching "smack your TV" videos a couple years ago. I'll try it when my wife is not in the apartment.  :nono:

IEMs (or over ear phones) must wait until sometime next year. My HD650s and my Schiit Lyr3 headphone amp are here (probably to stay) now, so I'll end up getting something to replace them after I return home.

Michael

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #11 on: 15 Dec 2018, 12:05 pm »
Probably the large cap in the power supply. Is there anything less reliable than a switch mode power supply?

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #12 on: 15 Dec 2018, 06:09 pm »
Makes ya wounder what might happen to that GREAT audio gear with loveley detailed wood speakers you left in that COLD DAMP climate.

Just sayin :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Alan

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #13 on: 2 Jan 2019, 12:02 am »
Makes ya wounder what might happen to that GREAT audio gear with loveley detailed wood speakers you left in that COLD DAMP climate.

Alan
Dont tell me that I like that driver:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/129413-wood-cone-speaker-build-idea.html

mresseguie

« Reply #14 on: 2 Jan 2019, 03:53 pm »
Makes ya wounder what might happen to that GREAT audio gear with lovely detailed wood speakers you left in that COLD DAMP climate.

Alan

:rotflmao:

I just saw these final few posts. Alan, I did think of you as the time for our flight neared, but I was extremely pressed for time and had managed to very painfully stress my lower back just days before we left. Moving 100 lb speakers down two flights of stairs just wasn't appealing at the time.

I've thought about having cradles (sarcophagi? bathtubs??) made to facilitate moving/loading/transporting the Apollos. In my imagination (at least) the cradles work much better than Lou's boxes. I still want to deliver them to Lou for his newest upgrades.

Fortunately, I had my HVAC system tuned up just before we left, so I'm not worried about any cold damp conditions. My burglar alarm works just dandy as well.  8)

Timind,

I've been too lazy to take the TV to the repair guy who just happens to live/work less than one mile away. I need to get on that this week.

That TV is just hanging on the wall doing nothing.

Michael