New rig to use w/ MW transporter

funkmonkey

New rig to use w/ MW transporter
« on: 20 Jan 2010, 09:46 pm »
Hey guys.  With a baby almost here, I will be venturing into the wonderful world of headphones very soon.  A few years back, I spent a considerable amount of time over at Headfi while picking out a decent set (or two) of IEMs and buds to use with my then new iPod.  That actually opened pandoras box and directly led to me spending thousands of dollars upgrading my home stereo and AV set-up.  With a sleeping baby around though, I am going to have to keep a little more quiet at night, when I normally do my listening.  So, now I find myself back in the market for headphones... and in need of a decent amp for them to run off my home system.  Most likely I will start with the phones and run them out of the headphone jack on my Denon 3310ci (presently used only for movies) and see how that goes, though I do not expect much.  I was hoping that Dan Wright would be able to develop a headphone circuit that he could add on to my Modwright 36.5 making it a headphone amp/pre-amp combo.  That is my ideal situation, and it still may come about, but Dan has his plate full and wants to release something extraordinary or nothing at all...

A few years ago a pair of Denon AH-D2000 (re-cabled) were what I had decided to get, before I went crazy on my big system.  Are they still a good bang for the buck all arounder?  The JH-audio custom IEM route is also something I am considering because I could use those anywhere.

Amps that caught my eye are Woo audio, and Ray Samuels Raptor.

Budget is still up in the air, any recommendations for good synergy with a Modwright Transporter will be considered.

Thanks, and Cheers
Greg

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
Re: New rig to use w/ MW transporter
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2010, 05:20 pm »
JH-13's  audio custom great sounding i want a pair myself although JH audio just announced a new iem

JH Audio JH16 Pro, an eight-driver, three-way, triple-bore custom IEM (in-ear monitor) that will be priced at $1149.00 which has my mouth watering or my ears twitching  :lol: will wait till i get a couple of reviews on head fi before o jump in

tough call on the Woo and raptor both good amps  :thumb: Ive been thinking about getting one of the B22 amps

ed

funkmonkey

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2010, 03:03 am »
HOLY cow!!!  JH-16 Pros!!!!  :o  those sound insane.  Is there going to be a price reduction on the  JH-13's then?

My biggest hesitation with going custom is that your ears continue to grow, so that limits the life span of the customs to a couple of years before the fit is less than perfect...  Once I find something that I like, I tend to keep it until it dies, and I would hate to "outgrow" my $1k plus headphones....  probably wouldn't be a deal breaker though.

There has recently been a little action on the Modwright headphone amp thread, so I am still hopeful for something from Dan.

Isn't the B22 a DIY amp?  A while back I was interested in that as well, but kinda forgot about it.  Now that my interest is renewed I will have to read up some more about it.  Thanks for the refresher.
Cheers

cAsE sEnSiTiVe

« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2010, 01:47 am »

Here's my setup. I'm running a Music Vault to a MW Transporter to a 4channel balanced b22 amp as well as a Woo Audio tube amp. Main headphones are Sennheiser HD800 & 600's. The Beta is a perfect match for the transporter. I couldn't imagine a better match. Tough to find someone to build one these days, but if you find someone, go for it.