BDP-2 - New Bryston Integrated Audio Device

Norton

Re: BDP-2 - New Bryston Integrated Audio Divice
« Reply #60 on: 14 Jul 2015, 05:52 am »
No DSD is not legal through AES and I am not sure why some DACs are allowing it with the BDP-2 and the new soundcard. I am wondering if the DAC is changing the bitstream to PCM on its input?

james

Isn't the legal aspect  only to do with DSD output from a SACD player?  Surely there is no restriction, other than technical limitations, for output once you have files in DSD format (e.g. DSD downloads)?

My BDP2 is definitely outputting DSD64 (DoP) over SPDif with the new sound card.  As I understand it single wire SPDif is technically limited to DSD64 though.  I don't know about AES, as my DSD DAC doesn't have that input, but I imagine the BDPs capability and the technical limitation are the same as SPdif.

I'm not using a Bryston DAC, but definitely now prefer SPdif output over USB with the new IAD, including for DSD64.

mv

« Reply #61 on: 14 Jul 2015, 09:29 am »
Isn't the legal aspect  only to do with DSD output from a SACD player?  Surely there is no restriction, other than technical limitations, for output once you have files in DSD format (e.g. DSD downloads)?

My BDP2 is definitely outputting DSD64 (DoP) over SPDif with the new sound card.  As I understand it single wire SPDif is technically limited to DSD64 though.  I don't know about AES, as my DSD DAC doesn't have that input, but I imagine the BDPs capability and the technical limitation are the same as SPdif.

I'm not using a Bryston DAC, but definitely now prefer SPdif output over USB with the new IAD, including for DSD64.

And I prefer the AES/EBU output over USB for both DSD and PCM (for both the new and the old cards, with the new one definitely an improvement)

R. Daneel

« Reply #62 on: 14 Jul 2015, 10:56 am »
The market is definitely there and headed in that direction.

You must be keeping track of how many of your competitors are including such functionality, and how their
number increases every couple of months.

So, Bryston might as well adopt a proactive approach and be among the leaders!

Zero point one percent of material available in DSD is hardly a market. One has to stop and think about why the format failed in the first place. Sony is now supporting it but they might abandon it within two years if the profit quotas aren't met. Just like they shovelled off their hi-fi segment.

Bryston is a performance-driven company, not specification-driven. You can buy a 200 Euro DAC that supports DSD but to what purpose? To most of companies, DSD is but a specification, a matter of compatibility, even though they'll happily say how good it is.

mv

« Reply #63 on: 15 Jul 2015, 05:02 am »
Zero point one percent of material available in DSD is hardly a market. One has to stop and think about why the format failed in the first place. Sony is now supporting it but they might abandon it within two years if the profit quotas aren't met. Just like they shovelled off their hi-fi segment.

Bryston is a performance-driven company, not specification-driven. You can buy a 200 Euro DAC that supports DSD but to what purpose? To most of companies, DSD is but a specification, a matter of compatibility, even though they'll happily say how good it is.

Where does the 0.1% come from?
And of what material?

Many reviewers are very happy with DSD128.

R. Daneel

« Reply #64 on: 15 Jul 2015, 03:24 pm »
Where does the 0.1% come from?
And of what material?

Many reviewers are very happy with DSD128.

Hi!

I think you missed my point. Only 0.1% of music material is available in DSD and this is a very optimistic number at that. Also, reviewers don't make much of a market, millions of people who buy music do.

Cheers!
Antun

mv

« Reply #65 on: 16 Jul 2015, 07:49 am »
Hi!

I think you missed my point. Only 0.1% of music material is available in DSD and this is a very optimistic number at that. Also, reviewers don't make much of a market, millions of people who buy music do.

Cheers!
Antun

No, I didn't miss any point.

There is a significant market of non-reviewers, but regular consumers who buy and listen to DSD recordings.
Otherwise, why would companies such as NativeDSD.com exist?

R. Daneel

« Reply #66 on: 16 Jul 2015, 12:21 pm »
No, I didn't miss any point.

There is a significant market of non-reviewers, but regular consumers who buy and listen to DSD recordings.
Otherwise, why would companies such as NativeDSD.com exist?

Hi!

Regular consumers who are willing to pay four times as much for an album because it is in DSD? Hardly. 800 million albums in Europe are sold every month and less than 20 thousand of them are in high-resolution formats. Ratio is undeoubtedly different in US but not dramatically so.

But I wasn't talking about DSD as such, whether it is worthy as a format or not. Instead, I was talking about it's commercial viability. You, on the other hand, said how reviewers like DSD128 so clearly, you were talking about DSD as such and how it sounds.

Cheers!
Antun

Samurai7595

« Reply #67 on: 17 Jul 2015, 10:53 am »
I received my IAD kit on Wednesday and replaced the sound card last night (Thursday).

Overall, everything went very well but I did not get the chance to audition the upgraded sound card.

Going through the instructions, I had an issue with Step 8 (see below).  When it came time to install the T10 screw in the "elevated" bracket of the IAD (red circle), I could not find a single screw that was long enough for the installation.  However, I did noticed that with the two T15 screws (yellow circles) the new sound card is well secured, so no big panic.

One suggestion I had for Bryston, when putting together the kit (very nice kit), is maybe mark the bags with the screw sizes since I really do not know what a T10 or T15 screw looks like.

By the way, I also had some grief with the Phillips screws on the XLR connector.  Maybe these should be replaced by either Torx screws or Robertson screws since they are real tinny and need a good grip to be reinserted into the new XLR connector.

Ned F. Kuehn

« Reply #68 on: 17 Jul 2015, 11:34 am »
I received my IAD kit on Wednesday and replaced the sound card last night (Thursday).

Overall, everything went very well but I did not get the chance to audition the upgraded sound card.

Going through the instructions, I had an issue with Step 8 (see below).  When it came time to install the T10 screw in the "elevated" bracket of the IAD (red circle), I could not find a single screw that was long enough for the installation.  However, I did noticed that with the two T15 screws (yellow circles) the new sound card is well secured, so no big panic.

One suggestion I had for Bryston, when putting together the kit (very nice kit), is maybe mark the bags with the screw sizes since I really do not know what a T10 or T15 screw looks like.

By the way, I also had some grief with the Phillips screws on the XLR connector.  Maybe these should be replaced by either Torx screws or Robertson screws since they are real tinny and need a good grip to be reinserted into the new XLR connector.

I would kindly suggest you go back to Step 7. The chassis screw boss needs to fit through the hole in the IAD and into the screw bracket. I found it takes a little time to make sure alignment is perfect. The T10 screws provided are of correct length if the chassis screw boss is fitted properly through the the hole in the IAD. The 3 point mounting makes the IAD much more secure.

I do agree the Phillips screws anchoring the XLR are snug. Otherwise I found the IAD install straight forward.

Samurai7595

« Reply #69 on: 17 Jul 2015, 11:53 am »
I would kindly suggest you go back to Step 7. The chassis screw boss needs to fit through the hole in the IAD and into the screw bracket. I found it takes a little time to make sure alignment is perfect. The T10 screws provided are of correct length if the chassis screw boss is fitted properly through the the hole in the IAD. The 3 point mounting makes the IAD much more secure.

I do agree the Phillips screws anchoring the XLR are snug. Otherwise I found the IAD install straight forward.

Ned, you're right, looks like I completely missed that part from Step 7.  I'll take a second look tonight.

Thanks!   :D

mv

« Reply #70 on: 22 Jul 2015, 11:43 am »
James,

Can the BDP-2 (with the new sound card) stream the following files over a USB cable:
352.8, 384 kHz and DSD256?

And can it do DSD native streaming by ASIO2.1 (up to 11.2MHz)?

The NewPrime DAC-10 can play the above.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #71 on: 22 Jul 2015, 12:30 pm »
James,

Can the BDP-2 (with the new sound card) stream the following files over a USB cable:
352.8, 384 kHz and DSD256?

And can it do DSD native streaming by ASIO2.1 (up to 11.2MHz)?

The NewPrime DAC-10 can play the above.

It should be able too - it is really a matter of what the Linux operating system will allow.  So far I have played up to DSD 128 and PCM 352.  The great thing about open source operating systems like Linux is they evolve as the market evolves.

james

mv

« Reply #72 on: 22 Jul 2015, 07:35 pm »
It should be able too - it is really a matter of what the Linux operating system will allow.  So far I have played up to DSD 128 and PCM 352.  The great thing about open source operating systems like Linux is they evolve as the market evolves.

james

But can you please try all the formats that I listed, and let us know for sure?

Then you can list them on the web site for the BDP-2, and in all marketing materials, and increase your sales.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #73 on: 22 Jul 2015, 07:38 pm »
But can you please try all the formats that I listed, and let us know for sure?

Then you can list them on the web site for the BDP-2, and in all marketing materials, and increase your sales.

HI

Yes I will do that once we have the prototype up and fully functional.

james

mv

« Reply #74 on: 22 Jul 2015, 07:45 pm »
HI

Yes I will do that once we have the prototype up and fully functional.

james

Just get the DAC-10 to play with and study, and try it now :-)

It can increase your sales of the BDP-2.

R. Daneel

« Reply #75 on: 24 Jul 2015, 05:50 pm »
Hi!

Would it be possible to see a close-up pic of the IAD please?

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #76 on: 25 Jul 2015, 03:28 pm »
Hi!

Would it be possible to see a close-up pic of the IAD please?

Cheers!
Antun

Hi

Other than what is already on this thread?

James

R. Daneel

« Reply #77 on: 25 Jul 2015, 05:00 pm »
Hi

Other than what is already on this thread?

James

Hi James!

Yes, well, if you have a bigger picture, it would be nice to see it.

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #78 on: 31 Jul 2015, 11:17 am »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston Integrated Audio Device – Feedback

July 2015

BDP-2 – New Integrated Audio Device

Well, well, well, got my BDP-2 back with the new integrated sound card installed. She does sound way more open than the old card.

Could it be as I haven't had her here for a few weeks, NO it sounds way to obvious. Somebody mentioned before a veil being lifted off and I will agree 1000%. Reminds me when I had my BCD-1 CD playe, music opened up big time (I miss her a tad) not like my BDP though. For 500, as far as I'm concerned do the upgrade as it's too obvious not to hear the improvements.

I guess I's happy and especially to have her back. A couple of weeks is not enough for my memory to go sour as have been doing music for 47+ years so yes you hear the difference.

Pull the curtain back and be ‘Entertained’.

THX to MIKE and AudioArk.

Drummer Mitchell

mv

« Reply #79 on: 31 Jul 2015, 11:45 am »
I updated the two fuses on my new BDP-2, which came with the new Integrated Audio Divice,
to the following kind:
Platinum Reference “More Than a Fuse”
http://www.audio-horizons.com/pages/fuse.html

This improved the performance easily with 7 - 12%.
Further improved details and depths of the soundstage.

(I am not affiliated with that company.)