Curt... I noticed in your photo album...

randog

« on: 17 Nov 2003, 06:27 pm »
... I think your setup has Proac 1SC's. I'm considering them for my bedroom system and would appreciate your comments.

Randog

Curt

« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2003, 04:24 pm »
I've had them for several months and have no complaints.

I particularly like them for testing our line level components, the XO is 5KHz and out of the way. I can hear the low level music details quite well.

The 1SCs are ~86dB efficient and they are a perfect match with MB-100s and the Purist. The Purist (at 0dB) reaches the system's max volume level at the 5 o'clock position. This allows excellent room control.

Use an active XO and a sub and you will have a great little system.

They sound very good and image well. You can listen all day without fatigue.

I would recommend these speakers for a small to medium sized room.

Harmon

Proac Speakers
« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2003, 11:07 pm »
Hi Curt

You said "Use an active XO and a sub and you will have a great little system.

They sound very good and image well. You can listen all day without fatigue.

I would recommend these speakers for a small to medium sized room."

I have a medium size room 17'X17' and monoblocks which are 250 watts per channel into 8 ohms. Is that too much power for these speakers?  Can you explain which speakers in your system has an active XO?

Curt

Re: Proac Speakers
« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2003, 07:29 am »
Quote from: Harmon
Hi Curt

I have a medium size room 17'X17' and monoblocks which are 250 watts per channel into 8 ohms. Is that too much power for these speakers?  Can you explain which speakers in your system has an active XO?

Your room size is medium and should work well with 1SCs and a sub.

The MB-100s play at about 150+W (music peaks <= 10ms) and achieve full 1SC volume. Your 250W  amps add less than 3dB to the MB-100s volume so you are in the right ballpark but you may only need to trun the Purist to 2 O'clock to get the same volume I get at at 5 O'clock. Still excellent room control.

The active crossover works best between the preamp and the amps. I'm saying drive the 1SCs with 70 Hz (or so) on up and the subs from 70Hz on down.

If your sub is active turn its filter all the way up and forget it, the line level AXO takes care of everything. Just use the subs volume control to balance the subs bass output with the 1SCs output level.