UberBUSS (upgrades)

Delta77

UberBUSS (upgrades)
« on: 25 Aug 2020, 07:16 pm »
I have a UberBUSS on order and am looking into making some upgrades to the unit..
So far I have asked Dave to add :
  1) Triode Wire Labs internal wire
  2) change 1 duplex to the FURUTECH  GTX-nfc rhodium (on the UberBuss )
  3) Replace wall duplex with FURUTECH  GTX-ncf rhodium (on the wall)
  4) Add wood for looks

What brand power cable works well with the UberBuss (T.W.L.'s)..?

Can I get some feed back from other UberBUSS users in the group.?
What upgrades do you wish you would have done with your P.I. Audio Group products..?

I know Dave doesn't use this sight much any more , I hope I'm not breaking any of the Circles rules..!!

Thanks guys, I do appreciate your time , experiences , and Advise..!!
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2020, 10:55 pm by Delta77 »

nature boy

Re: UberBUSS (upgrades)
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2020, 08:51 pm »
The Furutech IEC connector is excellent, I would not waste any money replacing it. I would ask Dave what gauge PC he'd recommend given the equipment you'll be hooking up.  Personally, I have used a ZenWave 14g cord with Furutech FI-28(R) connectors and an older Kaplan Cord GSMKII cord.  Both sounded fine, and I'm sure that Pete's cords would work well since they have been used in conjunction with UberBUSS equipment at past audio shows.

The only other thing you might consider is having Dave build a DigiBUSS into the unit, if you have digital equipment you'll be hooking up. This would be beneficial if anything is hooked up with a USB cable or if any equipment is sensitive to noise. FWIW, I just use the standard UberBuss with stock receptacles and the thing just relinquishes all noise without any restriction of dynamics. It handles my Audio PC and DAC just fine, don't hear any noise problems. One of my favorite audio purchases of all time.

NB

jhm731

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2020, 09:58 pm »
I had Dave put a Jatoba faceplate on my Uber to match equipment stand (see below).

I use a Furutech FP-SO32N power cord with FI-50 connectors.

BTW- Dave hangs out at www.audionervosa.com.

mikeeastman

« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2020, 10:21 pm »
I replaced my receptacles with Daves' modified Pass & Seymour 5632A and they were a nice upgrade. I'd ask Dave about them for you Uber Buss.

dpatters

« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2020, 10:58 am »
Here’s my combination Uber and Digi in one unit with every upgrade Dave offered. Custom veneer to match my Joule Black speakers. One of the best upgrades to my system ever. I use TWL Silver Statement power cord.

Don P.

Triode Pete

« Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2020, 07:32 pm »
I have a UberBUSS on order and am looking into making some upgrades to the unit..
So far I have asked Dave to add :
  1) Triode Wire Labs internal wire
  2) change 1 duplex to the FURUTECH  GTX-nfc rhodium (on the UberBuss )
  3) Replace wall duplex with FURUTECH  GTX-ncf rhodium (on the wall)
  4) Add wood for looks

What brand power cable works well with the UberBuss (T.W.L.'s)..?

Can I get some feed back from other UberBUSS users in the group.?
What upgrades do you wish you would have done with your P.I. Audio Group products..?

I know Dave doesn't use this sight much any more , I hope I'm not breaking any of the Circles rules..!!

Thanks guys, I do appreciate your time , experiences , and Advise..!!

Recently, for the past Audio Shows, we (Volti Audio, BorderPatrol Audio, TWL) have used "Obsession NCF" power cords on the UberBUSSes in the various hotels with superb results.

In my two systems at home, I use an "Obsession NCF" on my main system and a long "Seven Plus" on my second system.

"Bang for the buck" recommendations is the "Seven Plus" or "High Power Digital American" power cords for the Ubers...

"Ultimate" recommendation is the TWL "Statement Series" of power cords...

My $0.02,
Pete

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 28 Aug 2020, 03:25 pm »
  Agree 100% with Petes recommendations. If one is plugging a Digibuss into an Uberbuss Use the Furutech NCF gold duplex with a TWL HC Digital American  Great synergy.  Rhodium NCF at wall. Daves Pass & Seymor for all else. Be advised that the NCF outlets take 500+ hours to stop changing.
   My ultimate reco is having one dedicate 15A line for digital and one 20A line for analog. Both using an Uberbuss. As mentioned a Digibuss /Uber combo for Digital.
   The key to all of this is the synergy of TWL and PIAudio Ubers. We used them at shows as well.
charles

rpf

« Reply #7 on: 28 Aug 2020, 05:05 pm »
I have both an Uberbuss and a Digibuss and use TWL 7 Plus PCs on them. Work very well. I tried several outlets on the Busses and liked the Furutech un-plated copper one that Dave polished for me the best. Over the Furutech GTX Gold plated Cu and Furutech GTX Rhodium (not the NCF). It has a more natural tonality.

Delta77

« Reply #8 on: 5 Nov 2020, 06:13 am »
Here are a few pictures of My UberBUSS..
It’s absolutely beautiful 🤩..

Triode Pete

« Reply #9 on: 6 Nov 2020, 12:53 am »
Here are a few pictures of My UberBUSS..
It’s absolutely beautiful 🤩..

Gorgeous! ... and definitely sounds the same (or better) too!

Delta77

« Reply #10 on: 6 Nov 2020, 02:17 am »
Just over 10 days with the Uber in my system..
I didn’t want to post too soon, but I will be making a change to my system this weekend (amp change) .. Which is sure to change the sound signature in it’s own way..

When I first plugged the UberBUSS in , and turned on my system..
I got a feeling that for some reason , “I”  choose the perfect combination of power cables (on hand) , matching each component for its needs..!
The same 8 cables (2)TWL ,(5)Cullencable ,(1)Decware..(Planing to change all to TWL)
I did swap the power cables that the components were connected to, so they would all reach the Uber..
Which has never happened, I’ve always felt it sounded questionable if I got that combo of cables or components, always left me feeling “did I get it right..?”..
Hope that makes sense.?

I believe that both the center image, and the outer portion of the soundstage became more focused and easier to hear..

The timbre of voices, and congas seemed to improve..
(Yeah I know this one is hard to believe, but I think it did)

After installing the Uber, my system sounded slightly smoother, and yet still detailed..

Also I think I noticed a touch more holographic’ness to the presentation..

Seems to be easier to hear (everything) at low to mid volumes, I think..?
(Which was something I wanted)

Not sure how to tell if the “noise floor”  has been lowered..?
But it sure is quite..

I know that my description of the UberBUSS is very subjective..
I’m doing the best I can , not exactly easy..

Wish I would have bought one of these earlier in my audio journey, I might have been happier with some of my previous gear..

Thanks Dave, the UberBUSS is now one of my prized components..!

Vinylshadow

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jan 2021, 05:45 pm »
Just over 10 days with the Uber in my system..
I didn’t want to post too soon, but I will be making a change to my system this weekend (amp change) .. Which is sure to change the sound signature in it’s own way..

When I first plugged the UberBUSS in , and turned on my system..
I got a feeling that for some reason , “I”  choose the perfect combination of power cables (on hand) , matching each component for its needs..!
The same 8 cables (2)TWL ,(5)Cullencable ,(1)Decware..(Planing to change all to TWL)
I did swap the power cables that the components were connected to, so they would all reach the Uber..
Which has never happened, I’ve always felt it sounded questionable if I got that combo of cables or components, always left me feeling “did I get it right..?”..
Hope that makes sense.?

I believe that both the center image, and the outer portion of the soundstage became more focused and easier to hear..

The timbre of voices, and congas seemed to improve..
(Yeah I know this one is hard to believe, but I think it did)

After installing the Uber, my system sounded slightly smoother, and yet still detailed..

Also I think I noticed a touch more holographic’ness to the presentation..

Seems to be easier to hear (everything) at low to mid volumes, I think..?
(Which was something I wanted)

Not sure how to tell if the “noise floor”  has been lowered..?
But it sure is quite..

I know that my description of the UberBUSS is very subjective..
I’m doing the best I can , not exactly easy..

Wish I would have bought one of these earlier in my audio journey, I might have been happier with some of my previous gear..

Thanks Dave, the UberBUSS is now one of my prized components..!
Really. How does someone know if the noise floor is as low as possible...

Has anyone here auditioned or used a Puritan 156. I am curious how that unit compares to the Uberbuss. They both seem to be very well made.

hifiguy2008

« Reply #12 on: 16 Feb 2021, 08:00 pm »
I too am fully onboard the TWL and Pi Audio Bandwagon. It was through TWL that I initially learned that Power Cords are in-fact a significant "component" in the sound-quality equation. As my system's performance has improved over the years, I've moved steadily upward in the TWL heirarchy of offerings. The Performance, Value, Build Quality and his First-Rate Service are second to none. Plus, Pete is a genuinely honorable and oh-so-likeable guy. I've never even thought of looking elsewhere. At the same time, I have been a long-time follower of Dave at Pi-Audio. Pete's and Dave's products are quite often found together at audio shows, so one day I gave Dave a call. As with Pete, I found him as approachable, friendly, honorable, knowegable and genuinly caring as well. Dave interviewed me about my current system, where I envision it to be going, my personal audio preferences and the like. He then suggested a custom-designed, besoke power conditioning solution that is a unique hybrid of a Digi-Buss and and Uber-Buss; all at a fair price. The TWL and the Pi-Audio products really do bring out the best in each other... very highly recomended on their own, but even more together.

Vinylshadow

« Reply #13 on: 16 Feb 2021, 08:50 pm »
Since my last post I did what you did. Corresponded with Dave and he is making me a custom UberBuss with a 32A Neutrik connector on the left side of the box for my 30A dedicated line. 4 UberPuerto standard duplexes and 2 DigiBuss duplexes in the back and 1 DigiBuss duplex on the right side. Plus 3 more UberPuerto's for my dedicated lines.

Pete has made me a High Power Digital American cable with a 32A Neutrik connector.

Both are a pleasure to talk to and do business with. Dave really knows his 'tricity. I am excited to install it all once I figure out the other cable upgrades and possible interconnect.

hifiguy2008

« Reply #14 on: 16 Feb 2021, 09:10 pm »
I was in the same boat, so I talked it over with them. My system uses a combination of a Switching Power Supply and computational-intensive DAC (Mola-Mola), regular computer-digital stuff in the NUC/Euphony/Music Server and David Berning designed high-frequency switching crazyness in the Integrated Amplifier (Linear Tube Audio). If I could have afforded it, I would have probably gone all TWL Obsession, but that wasn't quite in the cards financially. So upon Pete's recomendation, I did one Obsession from the wall to the Buss. Then TWL Digital power cables from the Buss to the system components. Pete immediatly answered my inquiry by telling me that the Obession will reflect its goodness through the rest of the system by making the Buss ultra happy. I'm totally content with how it performes (and even how it looks)... I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Vinylshadow

« Reply #15 on: 16 Feb 2021, 09:21 pm »
I never even thought about an Obsession for my Buss. Pete didn't recommend anything higher than the H.P. Digital American. Although I never thought to ask.... Dang it as it has been shipped, I need to ask him about that though.

I'm not sure about the Rhodium in the Furutech since it takes so long to burn in. But since I substituted the Neutrik connector, not an issue.

I've got Jeff Rowland Model 12's with the switch mode power supplies and 2009 The Essence power cables. The connectors of which aren't that great. I just did not know if the Rowland's would need all the glory the Obsession brings since they have their own high power transient supply.

hifiguy2008

« Reply #16 on: 16 Feb 2021, 09:37 pm »
I can fully sympathize with your wunderings and what-ifs. On the other hand, what a blessing of a problem to have! I think this is yet another one of those “you-have-to-try-it-to-really-know things.” The more I learn about audio, the more I realize everything matters; and that most definetly includes all power-supply related stuff. That said, I'm totally at peace with my TWL/Pi-Audio solution and I consider it my end-game power solution. That's saying a lot.
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2021, 11:47 pm by hifiguy2008 »

Vinylshadow

« Reply #17 on: 16 Feb 2021, 11:59 pm »
I never put 2+2 together in my mind. I've been reading about the Shunyata Everest and everyone always said, get the Sigma power cable for sure but get the Omega power cable if you can. Get the best power cable for your power conditioner. I don't know why I thought the Obsession was only for amplifiers.

The HP Dig. American arrived today but I'll talk to Pete about the Obsession.

Now I need to do some figuring out on everything else. I've got a big home theater system so there's a lot of figuring to do!

Triode Pete

« Reply #18 on: 17 Feb 2021, 12:36 am »
If you guys haven't heard, Dave Elledge is at it again, with the DigiBUSS II...

I received one of Dave's new prototype "DigiBUSS II" conditioners back in January and was waiting for ~ 200 hr. "burn-in" mark to comment...

This new "DigiBUSS II" replaced a $820 Furutech e-TP80 power conditioner for Audio & Video. The Furutech was known to be a killer product for digital applications. Bottom line - the Furutech e-TP80 power conditioner is SOLD!

It is in every way better than my sold e-TP80. Better sound staging, imaging, etc... Naturalness, organicness & decay of notes within the digital realm is improved. Kicked my digital playback up a notch or two...

You did it again, Dave!

Some details on the new DigiBUSS II...

Furutech FI-06NCF IEC power inlet
3 hand polished Pass & Seymour 5362A Extra Heavy Duty Spec Grade receptacles (no steel parts)
Separate Line/ Neutral and Ground multistage RFI/EMI filter sections
Ground loop interrupter
InterGalactic Flooby Dust RFI treatment
ERS cloth
A couple of proprietary doo-dads

Price will be $499.00 + $15.00 shipping (in the USA). Contact Dave at PI Audio Group for more info...

Cheers,
Pete

RonP

« Reply #19 on: 20 Oct 2021, 10:50 pm »
I'm breaking in a new UberBUSS right now. With 3 built in DigiBUSS II sockets. Using TWL power cables all around. Sounds better than ever so far.

Maybe I should have had 4 outlets of analog/4 of digital instead of 3 and 3.  hmmmm. :D