What's the best way to digitize old video tapes for archiving to DVDs?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
What software/hardware combination has the best price, most useful features and the easiest learning curve?

MaxCast

Just a bump.  Also to include Hi8mm video tapes  :icon_lol:

Are there services that do this?

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama

nathanm

Mac or PC?  iMovie is dang easy to use.  A Canopus ADVC-110 or ADVC-55 unit would be about $200+.  That's what I did, except I have an Edirol VMC-1 (discontinued) which has video controls and cost much more.  But honestly, I hardly used them.  You've got to have your TV properly calibrated for it to be of use.  It would be good for video tapes that are really messed up.  Maybe the frame sync thing is useful though.

iMovie is really simple to use.  If a video-ignorant dork like me can get it to work anyone can.  Just bank on having loads 'o hard drive space!  What's that, you think you have enough?  No, no you don't.  With video editing there's never enough drive space!  Heh!  It's just a matter of plugging in your VCR to the ADC, firewire to the PC play the tape and away you go.  Then save early save often like your life depends on it because iMovie loves to crash.  It loves to crash, but it doesn't hose your work entirely.  it's still there, you only lose what edits you were to foolish to not save. Command-S Command-S Command-S!!!

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
A simple alternative, if you want/have a DVD-Recorder (analogous to a VCR), is to record "directly" from the camcorder or VCR to the DVD-Recorder. The Sony models, at least, will do the analog to digital conversion on the fly like the external or internal cards for a computer. Just use the remote control, and very intuitive. For example SONY RDRGX330 DVD Recorder < $170

KKM

My wife has taken her 8mm films to Costco and they do everything for cheap onto DVD. The results are fairly good.

riffer

I have a Panasonic VCR/DVD Burner/Hard Drive Recorder combination that works like a charm (DMR EH75V).  I just put the VHS tape in and record it to the hard drive (unfortunately it only records at 1x, so it is best to start the recording just before going to bed or work).  I can then edit etc. on the hard drive then burn to DVD.  It wasn't available in Canada, so I had to import from the US.  Best money I ever spent.

Sorry, can't help on the 8mm.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
After much research,  I ordered this unit  http://www.canopus.com/products/ADVC110/index.phpto convert all my VHS and 8mm tapes to DVDs.  Newegg has it for $215 shipped. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814144214 
Strictly from reviews, I gather that it's pricy for what it does but it apparently does it well and with no hassle.  That alone is worth the extra bucks for me.   :thumb:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
MaxCast,

I could send the unit to you after I am done with my tapes for a bottle of Wisconsin icewine.   :wink: My wife was a kid in Madison years back and swears that she had heard of people making eisewein then. Have you seen or tasted any?   

woodsyi

• Volunteer
Amazing service from Newegg.  I ordered it 2 PM yesterday with standard ground shipping and I received it today at 10 AM.  :o :thumb:

MaxCast

MaxCast,

I could send the unit to you after I am done with my tapes for a bottle of Wisconsin icewine.   :wink: My wife was a kid in Madison years back and swears that she had heard of people making eisewein then. Have you seen or tasted any?   

What's eisewein  :oops:  must have been developed after I left  :D
I could send a bunch of Michigan blue berry's and sweet cherry's.   :drool:

What does that contraption do?  Does it just allow connectivity to a computer?  Then you can edit or just burn?  At this point I just want to get them off tape and on DVD.  Would a digital camcorder have inputs for a 8mm?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
It's just a capturing device without any editing features although it is suppose to work with a lot of video editing software.  I figure I can do that later when I have time.  As long as you have a firewire input on your PC you can just down load anything on your analog tape via composit or s-video into a designated drive in DV format using this gizmo.  Then you just burn to a DVD.  I will try it this weekend and let you know how it work.

rbrb

A lot of people that are in the same situation are also in the process of upgrading their video camera to the lastest technology or at least a more modern format.  If the cameras from which this old video was recorded still playsback I would suggest getting a new camera with built in Analog to Digital Conversion, run the analog video through the new camera for storage on your PC.  Then the device that you used for the conversion still has some usefulness (it's your new video camera).