Where can I find a good Armoire to hold a TV? (under $1000)

duff138

Looking for suggestions/sites to look at. To hold a 27" TV.  thanks

meby

« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2005, 05:09 am »
Ikea

Al Garay

« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2005, 07:26 am »
Go to Ethan Allen and see if they have a special sale. Can always use that as your benchmark.

Go to your local Costco and Sams Club. Our Costco has a Costco Home full of furniture and entertainment centers.

Macy's furniture stores. Look in your classifieds for used ones. You should find several to fit a 27" tv but try to get one that will accomadate a 34" wide to give you some growth for a new TV.

randog

« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2005, 04:26 pm »
If you can do your own finish, we saved a bundle by going to a furniture outlet and buying an unfinished armoire. Ours was alder and would have looked real nice stained, but we finished ours in a distressed black.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=496

Ironically, even tho they had a number of units specifically as entertainment units, the one we chose was actually a clothing unit. I removed the back and replaced it with cross-braces. I also reinforced the insides with stamped (industrial) shelf braces, none of which you can see from the outside. I cut up dowels (which are used for hanging clothes in closets) as a precaution in case the weight of the TV caused sag over time. The dowels create a straight column from the TV shelf to the base. They are just placed in there loose and they are still loose so there's been no sag yet (it's been a year or two). When they get tight I'll know it's starting to sag. But... the best touch was installing 6 heavy duty casters which is also invisible but allows me to move it in and out for equipment hookup and mods.

Our 36" tube TV has about 1/4" on the sides and depth and looks custom fitted. It really worked out well with just a bit of effort. The armoire was around $700 with maybe $100 in misc hardware and paint.

Randog