What's your favorite sub $1K projector?

EDS_

What's your favorite sub $1K projector?
« on: 14 Apr 2013, 05:28 pm »
My son goes off to medical school in the fall.  Among just a thing or two he would like by way of gifts is a new pj. He has an ancient dlp pj I gave him four years ago but it's old and crapped out.  We'd likely prefer dlp.

Thoughts?

GHM

Re: What's your favorite sub $1K projector?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2013, 08:54 am »
How about the BenQ W1070?

EDS_

« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2013, 01:38 pm »
How about the BenQ W1070?

Investigating - thanks!

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2013, 06:47 pm »
The BenQ W1070 seems like a good choice, particularly if you want DLP. Not exactly sure why your preference runs to DLP.......

Alternatively, I'd say something from Epson if you'd consider LCD, such as the 8350 (if 2D only is good enough), or the 3010 if you need 3D.  Both are available from Epson direct or Projector people for close to $1K & you can save a bit more if you're willing to do refurbs.  Both projectors are slightly older models, but they or their similar successors were PC Magazine Editor Choices.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2013, 09:58 pm »
I've got an Epson Powerlite 8350 and LOVE it. It's a tad more than your price point, but.....

Just a couple random thoughts you may find helpful:
- It's not 3D, which may be important to him.
- The unit is massive, solid, and physically well built.
- It does contain an sir filter.
- Lot of input jacks, including 2 HDMI
- The fan is very quiet.
- The remote is brightly backlit. Not that you really need the projectors remote lit very often, but it's nice.

Hope that helps.
Bob

GHM

« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2013, 09:37 pm »
Good deal on the Benq right now http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014321 . Enter the promo code and save a $100.

Bemopti123

« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2013, 10:56 pm »
Wow, that is a low of resolution for the buck.  Of course i am partial to Epsons because of their reliability and I still remember seeing a Bluray movie in one of those HD Epson projectors last year.  Wow.  Unbelievable for the size and the clarity.  Of course you will need a large space to make it work....my friend's family cave was even larger than my entire first floor.  hahahaha :thumb:

GHM

« Reply #7 on: 20 Apr 2013, 12:16 am »
I've found Benq to be very reliable. I have one with nearly 2000 hrs (original lamp)on it now. Owned it for 3 years. I use it everyday for watching television and surfing the net. I've installed a couple of Epson's for friends. They're good bang for the buck, but don't have the natural sharpness or pop you get with a single chip DLP. My main movie projector is a JVC RS45 and I still use the Benq more.