Dan Banquer IC Review

Xi-Trum

Dan Banquer IC Review
« on: 2 Apr 2003, 02:12 pm »
First off, I'd like to thank Dan Banquer (DB) for providing the IC for my evaluation.  That did not in anyway affect my opinion of the cables.  Sure...  ;-)

For this evaluation, I compared the DB IC to my Home Grown Audio Super Silver (SS), which I have been using in my system.  To be honest, when I first put them in and casually listened to them, I was not impressed at all.  Sure the sound changed.  But I wasn't blown away.  So, I played them for a few days before finally sitting down and listening critically.

As it turned out, the DB IC equaled or was better than the HGA SS in just about every area.  My first impression was that the HGA SS was more open sounding giving an impression of a larger soundstage.  In reality, the soundstage of DB IC was actually deeper.  Imaging was more focused.  The sound was fuller and richer.  I also thought initially that the DB IC was darker sounding.  Again, it turned out that I had gotten used to the sweet coloration of the HGA.  The DB IC was more neutral and accurate sounding.  The treble area was not rolled off like the HGA SS but was not bright.  And the bass was definitely tighter and more pronounced.  As for the midrange?  I really like the midrange because it sounded more natural.  The HGA SS sounded soft (veiled) and a bit mushy and more laidback.  Another area where the DB IC beat the HGA SS was prat.  Music seemed to flow easily through it.  On the HGA IC, everything seemed slow.  This, combined with the soft and sweet sound, made the HGA SS sounded more romantic.  The DB IC was less forgiving.  But in no way was it aggressive either.

In short, I really like the DB IC.  One word comes to mind to describe this IC: BALANCE.  It doesn't have that wow factor.  A little digression: I think components that have the initial wow factor tend to be bright sounding.  They give the impression/illusion of presenting details and spaceousness, but are very fatiguing in the long run.  The DB IC was none of that.   It seemed to do everything right and in a very balanced nature.  No particular area really jumped out and called attention to itself.  I guess that was why I wasn't blown away by it initially.

One would think that Dan had cooked up some secret formula for this IC.  Here's the kicker:  the DB IC is really a Belden 8422 terminated with some nice RCAs.  Nothing fancy about it.  Dan doesn't hide this fact.  The cables were not wrapped in any fancy sleeves to cover up the Belden cable inside.  It made me wonder how many high priced ICs out there really use this generic (or some variation of) Belden cable underneath.

Note:  For the evaluation, DB sent two pairs of IC.  That is nice and thoughtful since that covered all the IC need in my system.  The comparison was done by swapping both pairs in an out.  My system:  nOrh CD-1 (Yugo tubes) -> Bent Preamp -> Ampzilla 2000 -> VMPS RM40.

Dan Banquer

IC Evaluation
« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2003, 04:00 pm »
Thanks for taking the time to review the cables. My "secret" is still soaking them in kosher chicken fat for 5,000 hours and then having them prepared by the purist of virgins. :mrgreen:

F-100

Dan Banquer IC Review
« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2003, 05:14 pm »
Xi-Trum,

Is this the cable that you're referring to?

grub

Dan Banquer IC Review
« Reply #3 on: 2 Apr 2003, 05:20 pm »
Hey all, I may have missed this somewhere else, but what's the ticket on these cables?
Just curious ; )
-->grub

Dan Banquer

IC Review
« Reply #4 on: 2 Apr 2003, 05:25 pm »
That's the picture of the the Belden 8422 IC's, which are now unofficially called the "Beldenator" cables.

nathanm

Dan Banquer IC Review
« Reply #5 on: 2 Apr 2003, 05:42 pm »
Beldenator Reference XL 8422

Carlman

Dan Banquer IC Review
« Reply #6 on: 3 Apr 2003, 04:51 am »
These IC's are really growing on me.  Initially, I just had one IC connected from CD to preamp... now I have preamp to amp.  The best way I can describe it so far is detail without harshness.  

Listening to them has me considering making a set of my own.  I don't know if Dan's planning on selling these or what...... but, I like it.  

Dan, let us know your plan on these.  I may have actually found a replacement for my ol' reliable Kimber's.

nathanm

Dan Banquer IC Review
« Reply #7 on: 3 Apr 2003, 05:05 am »
Dan does sell them, check the RE website.  Probably would be even cheaper to make your own though.  Plus then you can add a velvet-lined burl walnut display case and reflective Flexo! 8)  But keep in mind, most people don't have access to the raw chicken fat and virgins that Dan does, which is what makes these cables so special in the first place.  Personally I think it's cruel to use chickens for our greedy hifi purposes which is why I am suggesting a tofu substitute be tried.  Maybe the bass tautness will loosen slightly, but who knows?

Dan Banquer

Cable review
« Reply #8 on: 3 Apr 2003, 01:28 pm »
Vegetarian Cables?? :shake:  I guess I'll have to substitute V8 juice for the chicken fat. Should that be kosher or non kosher V8?  :roll:

Dan Banquer

Cable Review
« Reply #9 on: 3 Apr 2003, 01:31 pm »
I do sell these cables at 49.95 per one meter stereo pair, which includes shipping. For those of you who are DIY'ers, you know what to do.

randytsuch

Dan Banquer IC Review
« Reply #10 on: 3 Apr 2003, 08:26 pm »
Hi Dan,
The problem with Belden is finding somebody who sells it in less than 100 or 500 ft lengths.  There are a couple places that sell 89259 because of JR's recipe, but I don't think I have seen 8422 sold by the foot.

Randy

Xi-Trum

Dan Banquer IC Review
« Reply #11 on: 3 Apr 2003, 09:28 pm »
Hmm... maybe Dan can sell these by the foot?  ;)

Carlman

Dan Banquer IC Review
« Reply #12 on: 3 Apr 2003, 09:46 pm »
I called around looking for the cable and found a couple of places that can get it but it's in 500' rolls.  I was told the 100' roll is discontinued.  But, it's 'only' $200 for 500' at Newark.. or whatever their new name is...(www.newark.com)  If some people went in on a group purchase, you could get a sweet deal.  For 4 people, that's only $50 each for 125' of cable.  That's a lot of IC's.

But, if you're a have it now kind of guy (like me), maybe you could PM Dan and ask.... you never know... ;)

Dan Banquer

Cable review
« Reply #13 on: 3 Apr 2003, 09:49 pm »
You can get 100 ft. rolls from QPL Electronic Distributors here in Massachusetts. If you want to get smaller amounts than that I will sell it for $1.30 per foot with a 5.00 shipping and handling fee. Contact me during the evening at 781-592-7862 between 7 Pm and 9 PM

JoshK

Dan Banquer IC Review
« Reply #14 on: 3 Apr 2003, 09:54 pm »
I would love to get my hands on some of this stuff and make a twisted pair recipe IC with regular bullet plugs.

randog

Dan Banquer IC Review
« Reply #15 on: 3 Apr 2003, 11:12 pm »
If you do a search on Newark for Belden 8422 it comes back with 3 different versions @ 500' spools:

Mfg P/N:

8422-U500-060
Professional Music and Microphone Cable - Special order item.
$190.76

8422-500-60
Professional Music and Microphone Cable, Brilliance?, 2 Pairs, 22 AWG, 16 x 34 S - Special order item.
$282.65

8422-U500-60
Brilliance Two Conductor Low Impedance Cable, Power Electronic Cable Type, 2 Pairs, .231 in. Outer Diameter, Overall Braid Shielded,Chrome Color, Polyethylene Insulation, 22 AWG
$260.11

Notice that the odd thing is that the first and third one have the same Belden P/N, but different Newark order numbers and different prices.

Which of these would be the correct cable for DIY audio?

Also, how does it differ from the 89259 in both construction and function? I see the 89259 is substantially more $. I have read the JR whitepaper and he gives a good explanation of the 89259, but I don't know too much about the 8422.

I'm asking because I'm about to make a purchase and make a batch!  :)

Thanks,
Randog

audiojerry

Dan Banquer IC Review
« Reply #16 on: 3 Apr 2003, 11:31 pm »
It would be interesting to find out what effect cryo treatment would have on a batch. Who's up for experimenting?

ABEX

Dan Banquer IC Review
« Reply #17 on: 4 Apr 2003, 01:32 am »
Dan you will have to start hiring a number of pure virgins for rolling those cables in the chix fat in order to keep up with orders at the rate you are going! :lol:

"A dude from Maine!"  :dance:

Dan Banquer

Belden 8422
« Reply #18 on: 4 Apr 2003, 11:22 am »
Randog: They are all the same cable, just the prices are different. I don't know how this will differ from the other cable you mentioned. I would expect them to be pretty similar. If I remember correctly the other cable is a coaxial cable. If anyone reviewing these cables has any comments, maybe they can can offer up an opinion on differences between the two.

randog

Dan Banquer IC Review
« Reply #19 on: 4 Apr 2003, 11:35 am »
Dan, thanks for the response. Yea, I would also like to get some feedback on a comparison. I'll wait a bit to see if this thread will offer it up. If not, I'll start another.

I guess the only difference in the cables I mentioned is whatever the 'U' is for in Belden's P/N.

I see you're up early and since I'm pst, I guess I'm just... up.  :sleep:

Randog