New set of Auroras headed for paint!

EdRo

New set of Auroras headed for paint!
« on: 16 Mar 2017, 01:38 am »
Just a heads up guys...I have a new set of Auroras going in for paint tomorrow. These guys will be all black. It'll be an automotive black with a touch of metal flake. This set will have a new stand without a plinth. The x-o will be in the 3-sided stand column, viewable from the back. The speaker posts will be at the rear of the stand. This seems like an elegantly simple solution to me. I'll get pics of this posted as soon as the painter is done. This is a new painter, and he's a pro at hot rods and classic car restoration. His shop had a super rare (and pricey) '69 Camaro getting a fresh coat of paint when I was there last. If his showcar pics are any indication, these Aurora should look like a million bucks!!!

monte

Re: New set of Auroras headed for paint!
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2017, 01:53 am »
Can't wait to see these. Are there anymore in your shop? Did you guys figure out what 8" driver is going to be used?

EdRo

« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2017, 02:17 am »
This particular set will have the last set of Vifa woofers that I have. The performance of this woof is really great. It's also the first time we'll try the Transducer Labs magnesium oxide dome. It has slightly less sensitivity than the beryllium dome, but a smoother overall response. An interesting cabinet for sure!

bajaed

« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2017, 03:25 am »
Great news Ed. When will they be back from the painter?

Can't wait to see them.

fex02

« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2017, 10:30 am »
great news LONG LIVE VAPOR !

dex67

« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2017, 04:05 pm »
cant wait to see them...i wish i had money to buy those...i bought something else to replace the big Nimbus Black...

jimmy warren

« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2017, 10:26 pm »
Hello Ed

Any idea on what the price will be on these automotive black paint special Auroras once they are ready to be sold?    Thank you   Jim

EdRo

« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2017, 01:59 pm »
Hey Jim! Thanks for your interest in the Aurora. I've made a few changes to this model;it'll be fitted with a different dome tweeter, it'll sit on a new designed corian stand with the x-o visable from the back of the column. The price for this new cab will be $4,899. The new stands with cabs should be gorgeous; I can't wait for them to get finished! This set was actually for my wife, but I can always make another for her, right?

monte

« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2017, 06:11 pm »
Hi Ed, are you still making the aurora without the coriander and crossover in the base?

EdRo

« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 2017, 08:20 pm »
Hey Monte, I put coriander in my chili, but I've NEVER put spices of any kind in my speakers. That's a bit too esoteric even for me!!! I could try adding cloves to the inversion layer for some aroma therapy. :lol: But seriously, the x-os will be in the columns of the stands from now on. No plinths. I'll get pucs of the new design after the painter is done with the first prototype!

monte

« Reply #10 on: 17 Mar 2017, 08:47 pm »
Sorry  bout that Ed. Guess I better use spell check

EdRo

« Reply #11 on: 17 Mar 2017, 10:05 pm »
Lol. I just couldn't help myself. :lol:

srb

« Reply #12 on: 17 Mar 2017, 11:17 pm »
Sorry  bout that Ed. Guess I better use spell check

Unfortunately most spell check software won't check context (particularly forum or browser spell check), and coriander is spelled correctly.  Besides, even if context was checked, what software would be bold enough to challenge that?  ;)

But when I first read it, my mind automatically substituted Corian without any realization of error.  The human mind is an amazing thing.  Computers and AI still have a long way to go.

Steve

EdRo

« Reply #13 on: 17 Mar 2017, 11:34 pm »
The Aurora is going to a corian baffle  like my new prototype. The stands for both models will be made of corian, and their x-os will be in the stands column. The cost will go up, but the corian will be such an improvement!

JakeJ

« Reply #14 on: 17 Mar 2017, 11:53 pm »
How about using thyme, that way the drivers will be thyme aligned?

Sorry, just had to get in on the fun!

EdRo

« Reply #15 on: 18 Mar 2017, 03:04 am »
Sorry, SRB, maybe your mind is an amazing thing. When my mind read "coriander", I SAW coriander, because I've been feinding for some of my chili for weeks now!!! (If you saw my prodigious girth, you'd understand) My mind is easily distracted with food references.  :o
In fact, I wonder if it would be ok to have a roaster full of my chili at some speaker shows. Smoked meat chili is something everyone needs to try once before they die!!!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 18 Mar 2017, 03:06 am »
Smoked meat chili is something everyone needs to try once before they die!!!
Sounds like you should give up speaker building and go into commercialization of your chili! 

Better margin and much bigger customer base.  Seems like a no brainer to me.   ;)

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #17 on: 18 Mar 2017, 12:30 pm »
Smoked meat chili is something everyone needs to try once before they die!!!

How true! I have a great BBQ place down the street and always pick up a couple of pounds of smoked brisket for the basis of my chilli.

Hey Ed, try picking up a smoked spicy sausage, browning it with some fresh jalapeño and add in some chopped garlic for the last minute of sautéing. Toss that in your chilli pot and deglaze the sauté pan with a little red wine. Thank me later.

EdRo

« Reply #18 on: 18 Mar 2017, 02:13 pm »
WOW!!! THAT SOUNDS AMAZING!!! Lets do an Audio Circle Chili Cookoff!!! I bet we'd have some great tunes, too!!! :thumb:

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #19 on: 19 Mar 2017, 06:20 pm »
WOW!!! THAT SOUNDS AMAZING!!! Lets do an Audio Circle Chili Cookoff!!! I bet we'd have some great tunes, too!!! :thumb:

Ed, I'm making a big pot of chilli now. If you think it SOUNDS amazing, you should get a whiff of my kitchen because it sure SMELLS amazing! Pictures of WIP attached.