BMW 1 series.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: BMW 1 series.
« Reply #40 on: 8 May 2007, 05:25 pm »
Ohhhh that sucks about the 'stang Bo.. :cry:

Here's a funny (?) story that just happened to me a few minutes ago:
A customer wants his vehicle bought back from the manufacturer because his actual fuel mileage is THREE MPG less than the sticker said "it should be". He's never once came in the service department with a fuel mileage complaint. The vehicle has only once returned in 9,000 miles for an oil change.
WTF?!?!?!? Are people serious? :scratch: :dunno:
What the hell should I do?? He's contacted customer service about the matter, which means it's over my head now. The customer service rep is the one that called me, I've never talked to the customer.

Damn :duh:

Bob

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #41 on: 10 May 2007, 02:52 pm »
Bob in St. Louis - My extensive sensitivity training allows me to see the hurt I caused by implying that you may be facing backwards. I've sought counseling and learned that it is your prerogative to look in any direction that you favor. After all, having been born in the last century, you may want to live and die there as well.
There are indicators everywhere these days that the old ways are killing us and that we may ALL need to change yje way we do things. It's fun to reminisce but it's imperative to get real. The muscle cars had their day but they are now obsolete from a practicality standpoint. By permitting yourself the option of being wasteful with fuel, you pass the buck to everyone else to compensate for you.
We are told that the prices of fuel today are being escalated by demand rather than foreign greed. Your demand is twice as high as it needs to be. Naturally, according to my headstrong therapist, you have the option of using all the fuel you want. But, according to me, you have the responsibility to pull your weight by limiting yourself to some degree.
I read that the U.S. represents roughly 5% of the world's population, yet consumes 50% of the world's resources. This is like having a dinner party for twenty people and watching one guy show up and eat half the food. The other 19 people have to share the remaining half. Does that seem right?
When the New World was discovered, it had seemingly endless resources. Now we're seeing that the end is in sight for many commodities. Alternative energy sources and conservation are now necessary. We cannot depend on those in charge to make laws that will help because that is seen as a potential inhibitor to profit taking, so we must do this ourselves voluntarily. I'm hoping to enlist your cooperation in this effort now before we have no choice.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #42 on: 10 May 2007, 04:17 pm »
I'm hoping to enlist your cooperation in this effort now before we have no choice.
Agreed Jack. I believe you and I go to the same therapist. I'm sorry for my past actions and will start immediately by researching a more efficient vehicle. My second action will be to discontinue use of the tube amp. Such a waste. Soooo many watts going in...So few going out. Such an inefficient machine. All the coal burnt at the power station polluting everybodys air for my selfish listening pleasure.

Bob

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #43 on: 10 May 2007, 05:17 pm »
Sensitivity detection includes sarcasm detection. Caught you red handed.

I use a Red Wine Audio Signature 30 amp. It runs off of a battery which sounds efficient at first blush but I don't know how much draw is involved to charge the battery. Since it is a Tri-path chip amp, I would guess it doesn't use much. The upside is: a lot of tube people have switched to the Sig. 30 and reported that they like it better. Requires average to efficient speakes.

RWA has acircle here if you would care to learn more about it.

I enjoy the repartee but I hope there is a modicum of sincerity in your expression of concern.

sts9fan

« Reply #44 on: 10 May 2007, 05:33 pm »
Funny where this thread went.  Fact: it is not human nature to help others.  Most people do not care about the rest of the world. Fact: People will not sacrifice for the greater good if they do not see the results locally.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #45 on: 10 May 2007, 05:50 pm »
Sensitivity detection includes sarcasm detection. Caught you red handed.
:oops: Busted again...... :duh:

I use a Red Wine Audio Signature 30 amp. It runs off of a battery which sounds efficient at first blush but I don't know how much draw is involved to charge the battery. Since it is a Tri-path chip amp, I would guess it doesn't use much. The upside is: a lot of tube people have switched to the Sig. 30 and reported that they like it better. Requires average to efficient speakes.
It still uses fossil fuel to charge that battery. :wink: My drivers are 96Db, so I'm good there. But it doesn't sound like your using much energy. To expensive for the poor little white boy from STL. Boead told me/us (possibly on this thread??) about the solar deal. THAT sounds cool very for several reasons!

I enjoy the repartee but I hope there is a modicum of sincerity in your expression of concern.
Yes there is Jack. I'm not a total insensitive ass. I just play one on TV.
I would like to keep the beast for "special occasions", but have an old cheap Civic type gizmo for everyday driving. I'm not going to buy a $25,000 vehicle for the sole purpose of saving my money or the environment.
Maybe if I was richer, I'd be more generous

Bob

boead

« Reply #46 on: 10 May 2007, 06:40 pm »
Funny where this thread went.  Fact: it is not human nature to help others.  Most people do not care about the rest of the world. Fact: People will not sacrifice for the greater good if they do not see the results locally.

Why does the pope look like the Emperor and apparently MJ.

And how did Shatner snake his way into this scene!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #47 on: 10 May 2007, 06:51 pm »
 :scratch: :lol:.......and they all drive a BMW 1 Series

boead

« Reply #48 on: 10 May 2007, 07:10 pm »
:scratch: :lol:.......and they all drive a BMW 1 Series

Well the Pope drives in a BMW

See how the conversation eventually comes back to topic (somewhat).

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #49 on: 10 May 2007, 07:13 pm »
Well the Pope drives in a BMW
Which gets much better fuel economy that Shatners hotrod:

boead

« Reply #50 on: 10 May 2007, 07:24 pm »

Although this appears to be common white quarts, don’t be fooled. Interstellar wars have been fought over this rare and valuable source of energy - dilithium crystal!

richidoo

« Reply #51 on: 10 May 2007, 07:25 pm »
50g of dilithium crystal will get you a couple hundred million parsecs. Try than on unleaded premium.

shep

« Reply #52 on: 10 May 2007, 07:32 pm »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #53 on: 10 May 2007, 10:19 pm »
I had an 83 Sentra MPG (averaged 40 mpg but it stumbled badly when the engine was very cold).

I had an 89 Camry 2.0L 5M (averaged 35 mpg, a very smooth but not so powerful engine).

I had a 94 Civic 1.5L 5M (averaged 40 mpg, a nice small car, but still a small car).

Have gone backwards ever since, just like the government regulations.  BTW gas in the UK is running nearly $10/gallon.

Realiability of BMW and MB has dropped off the end of the table the last couple of years.  For ordinary/daily driving I don't need the superior handling, the expensive maintenance versus Honda or Toyota qualities.  The new Civics are great small cars, but still small, and rather expensive IMO.

Note that I do about 30,000 miles per year, mostly rural/highway driving at posted speeds (I get paid while driving on the job, and the employer supports that but doesn't pay for tickets).  I'd like to try a new Scion xD (new 1.8L, possibly 5M, but am getting old and the roads keep getting busier).

sts9fan

« Reply #54 on: 10 May 2007, 10:32 pm »
For you a VW TDI make TONS of sense.  Plus they come in wagons!

boead

« Reply #55 on: 11 May 2007, 04:14 am »
For you a VW TDI make TONS of sense.  Plus they come in wagons!
I don’t think they’re sold in the US anymore.

$10/gal in the UK, and mainland Europe too?

JLM, the Civic isn’t a small car anymore, it’s got lots of room these days.

mcgsxr

« Reply #56 on: 11 May 2007, 10:12 am »
True about the Civic and size - a 2007 Civic sedan is identical in external dimensions, to my old 94 Accord!

sts9fan

« Reply #57 on: 11 May 2007, 11:24 am »
I don’t think they’re sold in the US anymore.

They will be back for 08 and 50 state legal. 

The civic has grown with the needs of its core consumer group.  Thats why they introduced the fit. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #58 on: 11 May 2007, 12:09 pm »
Thats why they introduced the fit. 

Neat little car, but I like the second one:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #59 on: 11 May 2007, 12:29 pm »
While the Civic is precision built it still feels like a tinny small car, not like my 89 Camry for instance.  My 78 Saab 99 weighed about the same as the current Civic but it was built like a tank in comparison (and was much bigger inside thanks to it's tall cabin).  Part of why mileage hasn't improved is due to model inflation.  In time nearly all nameplates have gotten bigger/heavier.  So you end up pushing more weight and air.  Yes, my 94 Civic was bigger than my 80 Accord.

Seems like the vast majority of cars continue to hover (+/- 10%) around 3000 pounds and 25 mpg (real world).  The upfront cost increase of hybrids will never pay for themselves in terms of improved mileage.  I'd vote for much heavier road tax on diesel to keep roads/bridges in good repair as semis do 99.9% of all the damage.  And I'd recommend a heavy luxury tax for personal use pickups, SUVs, RVs, and any car selling for over say $40k (the average new car sells for $30k in the U.S.).

One option for instance is GMs experimenting with a small diesel sports car in Europe that will do 140 mph while delivering 113 mpg.  But that still diverts attention from the real long term solution (fuel cells or batteries).  Norway already has 400 miles of highway equipped with fuel cell refueling stations that look like large pop can dispensers.  And electric race cars do exist in the U.S.  Yes, either way electricity still has to be produced, but pollution controls are much easier to provide on large stationary power plants.  And BTW if 1/10 of Nevada was covered in solar panels or 10% of South Dakota was filled with windmills we could provide all the power needed in the U.S.

The current Accord feels like an overstuffed chair with similar usable room to the Civic.  I drove a Fit Sport with automatic and paddle shifters.  A nice enough urban car, but I drive mostly rural/highway and don't need the storage room.  It didn't have enough HP to make the paddles any fun.

BTW I like small cars, just don't like paying $20k for one.  Now that I'm AARP eligible I"d like to see more tall, narrow 4 doors that get good mileage. I've always liked chair like seating, but the easier egress from increasingly small parking spots would be a plus.  Seems like this is a coming market as 8000 Americans a day turn 60 and face fixed incomes.  The Nissan Versa is another tall, big, compact that delivers low 30s mpg.  The new Scion xB (well equipped base model) comes in around $17k with the Camry engine, with chair like seating and tons of room.  The soon to be released Scion xD should hit the street around $15k with the new/improved 1.8L as something else between sub-compacts and $20k compacts.