Tyson's and Pez's Lackadaisical RMAF 2019 Coverage - Sunday

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Only 2 floors to go and we're done with all the interesting rooms in this whole show!  There were fewer rooms this year, but they were better, overall.  So, to start us off, I have to post more pictures of just how crazy this place is. 

Indoor landscaping, because of course why not?

A giant bronze statue, indoors, of course!

What's better than 1 giant bronze statue, why 2 of course, haha.

While we're at it, let's throw in a small pond and a giant bridge!  Why not? 

OK, back to our regular audio program. 

First up, the Salk room.  Pics don't really convey just how incredible these speakers look in person.  Just beautiful.  Heirloom quality, really.  How did they sound?  Like Schiit!!  Haha, of course you had to see that one coming.  I think the beauty of Jim's speakers is they sound very much like whatever is driving them.  Very neutral and transparent.  With the Schiit gear, it was very clear, see through transparency and very big sounding, lots of strong dynamic swings, to go along with exceptional micro-dynamic tracking.  Micro dynamics, IME, are particularly difficult to get right.  Kudos.

As Tyson said, the quality of wood work is simply awesome! I enjoyed the sonics and was blown away by the overall performance. Smooth and nice treble thanks to the beryllium tweeter. Solid performance!

Joseph Audio also knows a thing or 2 about building nice looking speakers :)  Normally I am kinda meh with the JA's, but this year they sounded really good.  I suspect the 2 monster tube amps in the middle had a lot to do with it.  Very nice synergy.

Normally I also am lukewarm to JA. This year they managed a very nice sound with great drive and excellent pace. Big Thumbs up from me!

There's something about the sound of a horn loaded ribbon tweeter that I really like.  This room had that typical Danish sound, very correct, very rhythmic, very good imaging.  And they had one of the coolest looking integrated amps at the show. 

Let me just say, I LOVE these speakers. Sonically they are superb and aesthetically they have a very slick refined look about them. Great setup!

Horns!  Very interesting little horns.  They were like cool little audio sculptures.  Fit & finish was very nice.  Sound was almost holographic.  A bit light in the lower mids and bass, though. 

I did not expect to love this system, but I did. 3 dimensional and emotive. Great stuff! (MORE TO COME FR?OM ME LATER!!! SORRY FOR THE LATE ADDITION.)

The miracle room.  I was telling Jason that we live in an age of miracles, if you compare what's possible today vs any time in the past.  Here's another example.  The SugarCube room showed how they are able to remove clicks and pops from vinyl in real time.  And not just clicks/pops, but surface noise too.  In real time!  And they had a bypass switch, so you could hear the vinyl "straight", with the unit removed completely from the signal path, then with the unit inserted into the signal path (again, all in real time), and it was completely transparent.  Now, I've heard digital tomfoolery in an analog signal path before, and it was ALWAYS noticeable in some way.  But not here.  Not today.  Just beautiful vinyl sound with all clicks/pops and surface noise removed.  It was astonishing. 

Kii room.  Sounded better than last year, that's for sure (the bass sections really helped their sound).  Still merely "good" and not great, IMO. 

That's a wrap!
« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2019, 04:11 pm by Tyson »

kheidenr

Re: Tyson's and Pez's Lackadaisical RMAF 2019 Coverage - Sunday
« Reply #1 on: 9 Sep 2019, 03:22 am »
Thank you Tyson for bring some of the show to us.  You rock!

mick wolfe

« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2019, 03:50 am »
Thank you Tyson for bring some of the show to us.  You rock!

+1.  Big thank you here as well.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2019, 11:09 am »
Tyson and Pez,
Thanks for doing another great RMAF coverage for everyone!

Hope to see you in 2020!

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 9 Sep 2019, 06:05 pm »
Thanks again to Pez and Tyson for helping those of us SO far away from RMAF get a peek inside.

Appreciate the effort it takes!

Still makes RMAF my bucket list audio destination.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #5 on: 9 Sep 2019, 07:21 pm »
Tyson and Pez,

thanks for the great coverage. Missed seeing you guys this year. The September dates didn't work for my schedule this year. Hopefully, I will be able to make it next year. Want to see Marjory and you guys and other friends, and check out the new venue. You definitely peaked my interest.

Best,

Laura

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2019, 09:24 pm »
Tyson and Pez,

thanks for the great coverage. Missed seeing you guys this year. The September dates didn't work for my schedule this year. Hopefully, I will be able to make it next year. Want to see Marjory and you guys and other friends, and check out the new venue. You definitely peaked my interest.

Best,

Laura

We missed you!  About 4:30 on Saturday we said to each other - have you seen Laura?  Well that explains it.

dflee

« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2019, 10:11 pm »
Since I can't attend, you two yuts are the closest I'll come to seeing it.
Really appreciate the candor, comments and pics made by you both.
It's just not a show without yusguys.

Don

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 11 Sep 2019, 02:10 am »
Tyson & Pez - Thank you once again for your efforts, and for the sharing. It is always a high spot in the year.  8)