Three Budget Amps I Have Known

droht

Three Budget Amps I Have Known
« on: 8 Sep 2009, 04:45 pm »
I'll throw three amps out there.  I'm not going to say that these are as good as amps costing many times more money, or that they are "audiophile grade", or whatever, but I will say that they are very strong considering their price point and would work in a lot of value oriented systems. 

Dayton DTA-1 Class T Digital Amplifier.  This is the old gen1 Sonic Impact t-amp, rebirthed by Dayton.  The all-time budget amp king as far as I am concerned.  Selling for $44.80 shipped from Parts Express.  The amp has some shortcomings to be sure, rolled off lows, spring-style speaker connectors, only an 1/8" plug for input...but for less than $45 you can't really complain.  It's about the sound, and it does that well.  Very musical and engaging.  The first time I heard the SI version of this amp my only response was "holy bleep", and that was with a $10 MP3 player as source and 20 year old Infinity bookshelfs.  I still have that amp, in the closet mostly, but I pull it out from time to time just to see if it still has that sound.  It does.  I'm less surprised now, but still impressed.
I have zero DIY skills, but I know this a popular item to mod, especially adding things like better connectors.

Mfg Specifications: ? Power output: 2 x 15 watts RMS (into 4 ohms @ 10% THD), 2 x 10 watts RMS (into 4 ohms @ 0.1% THD) ? Efficiency: Greater than 88% ? Dynamic range: 102 dB ? Dimensions: 2" H x 6-1/8" W x 3-3/4" D.

Next up is also from Dayton, the APA150.  Selling for $158.88 shipped from Parts Express right now, but I think you can get it for a few bucks less if you are patient and browse on PE every couple of days.  The APA150 is a traditional solid state amp.  Lots of cheap, clean power.  Doesn't have the tonality of T-amps that I like, but delivers better dynamics and a very nice 3D sound stage.  Great choice if you are using a subwoofer, and is obviously able to drive a wide variety of speakers.

Mfg Specifications: *Measured power output: 2 x 75 watts RMS (into 4 ohms @ less than 0.01% THD) *Signal-to-noise ratio: greater than 100 dB *Class A/B design topology *Input impedance: 47k ohms *Auto-on sensitivity: 3 mV *Voltage requirement: 120/230 VAC, 60/50 Hz *Dimensions: 5-1/2" H x 6" W x 11-1/2" D. 
Toroidal power supply
2 x 75 watts RMS power @ 4 ohms, 1 x 150 watts RMS bridged mono @ 8 ohms
High current, discrete output transistors
Adjustable 50-150 Hz low pass crossover
Gold-plated 5-way binding posts that accept up to 8 AWG wire 

The last amps I'll mention generically are based on gainclone technology.  These amps are very popular among DIYers, but also readily available on AudiogoN for $300 or less.  You have to be a bit careful with who built the amps, the power supply, what chips were used, etc., so a little internet research and buyer beward attitude is needed.

I had a pair of monoblocks that were very fun to listen to.  Somewhere between class T and A/B to my ears.  Nice detail; nice soundstage.  Seemed to deliver plenty of power for what is was rated.  Industrial-chic look, which I liked, but not for everyone.  Mono gainclones are a bit rare (I am sorry I sold them), but a few power and/or integrated amps are almost always on the market.

Lots of discussion on DIYAudio forum for more info.

These are my ex monos:

BradJudy

Re: Three Budget Amps I Have Known
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2009, 05:10 pm »
I briefly owned a Dayton APA150 and found the gain level to be way to high to be useful on my computer setup.  I had to have all volume controls (software and hardware) way down to be listenable.  I asked PartsExpress about it and they simply replied that it was not designed for this type of use. 

I currently own with a Sonic Impact Gen2 and a Trends TA-10.1.  The Trends is on my computer and the SI is in a box somewhere (used to be on my work computer) and I can't find the power supply at the moment. 

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2009, 07:45 pm »
I am the happy owner of the Gainclone monoblocks pictured above, and am greatly enjoying them. They have found a good home. In my experience, I found them to be warmer than a friend's Trends 10.1 digital chip amp with the preamplifier I paired each with. That may very well also reflect on the preamp (a DIY Bride of Zen preamp designed by Nelson Pass). But the preamp with the Trends sounded too bright and etched. Very fatiguing even early on.

As you will (or should) see everywhere as a disclaimer: Component matching is essential.

Also, different T-amps may have very different sonic characteristics. The Trends is the only chip amp I have had the opportunity to hear. Stereo Mojo's digital amp shootout should give you a good idea of how many different chip amps may sound.

I also wanted to mention that the Dayton amp mentioned above appears to be a rebadged Emotiva BPA-1, which they discontinued a few years ago. I have the Emotiva, and will confirm that it works great as a subwoofer amp (I have passive subs). I haven't tried it out with other speakers.

droht

« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2009, 08:06 pm »
Glad you are still enjoying my monos..... :)

buzzy

Re: Budget Amps I Have Known
« Reply #4 on: 1 Oct 2009, 12:56 am »
I found the Sonic Impact T Amp to be more of a fun experiment / toy than a keeper.  The clean power it delivers just isn't enough IMO, even for a desktop.  Plus the uneven quality of components, the $50 seems better spent on another amp.

The Sonance ASAP1 is a nice smallish, lower power amp and turns up used for a very reasonable price from time to time, under $100 sometimes well under.

The Parasound zAmp is a really good power amp, used ones can be had for a budget-ish price, $150 - 200.

For those with a DIY leaning some of the more powerful T Amps would be worth a look, have a look at the connex electronics modules (assembled, long thread here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134747)

roscoeiii

« Reply #5 on: 1 Oct 2009, 01:03 am »
Well, the T-amp would certainly require some sensitive speakers. But many a full range driver could fit that bill.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 1 Oct 2009, 09:48 am »
I use Channel Island Audio VMB-1 chip based monoblocks.  Great sound, run cool, solid build.  Dusty (from CIA) believes in over designed power supplies while most chip guys push short circuit length and parts matching.  Chip amps have a reputation to synergize great with single driver speakers (like mine).  40 watts, which is enough for most speaker/room pairings if you're not a headbanger.

Had a DIY chip amp on lone a few years ago.  Sounded great, but had horrible RF and 60 Hz hum problems (even with a separate power supply).  The RF issue presented itself as picking up a local FM station at about -40 dB.  I see the above amp had a heavy metal box, that should help.

Had a then popular battery modded little Class T amp about 5 years ago.  Again great sound and it punched way above its rated output (but not enough for my speakers/room - I'm definitely not a headbanger).  Build quality was poor and shipping to have the vendor replace the battery caused it to come loose and smash the guts that I had to pay to have repaired.  So I sold it.  Same thing happened when I shipped it off (I do pack very well), and again the vendor wouldn't stand behind the product.   :evil:

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 1 Oct 2009, 01:01 pm »
All good choices mentioned so far.

I had the JVC hybrid receiver (sold it to my best friend who still uses it) for a couple of months.  Was a good unit, if cheaply built.  Paid around $200 used years ago.

I still use a Panasonic digital receiver (4 years and running) in my 2.1 HT on the main floor.  Paid around $125 used years ago.

I still also use a JVC EX-A1 (JVC's statement build of their hybrid technology, copper screws in the chassis, internally shielded power supply etc) in my living room - I don't love the wooden speakers, but the amp is a champ.  Built in DVD player too, and sub out, so quite flexible.  Paid $200 new off eBay 4 years ago.

I had a series of the TEAC tripath amps too (stock, Vinnie modded, and Bolder modded), and found them very good.  Stock was decent (sold my Sugden integrated once I heard it), and fully modded (not battery, was always AC powered in my systems) was very very strong.  I see them used for around $50-100 and am always tempted...

I have heard the Trends, and the newer version of the Sonic Impact, but neither really did it for me.

I had a gainclone for a while, and enjoyed it, but it caused many issues for the next buyer (an AC'r too, so that was awkard, but well handled by the buyer) so I HAVE to stress that you need to buy a gainclone that was well built.  I would recommend anything by Rawson, his builds are highly recommended.

To this day (3 years and counting) I still use an old Magnavox tube amp, rescued from a floor console.  At $130 shipped off eBay, I think it clearly qualifies as a budget amp, and if you can live with 3-5wpc, those old singled ended EL84's will blow you away!

Lots of excellent budget amps out there, they are all I use!

KT

« Reply #8 on: 8 Oct 2009, 11:25 pm »
Budget Amps! Woot!

Clearly, if you choose the right budget amp for your setup, you can set up a killer system.

I played with original modded SI, and that was eye-opening; a revelation for the price. With every speaker I paired it to, however, I eventually thought the sound was harmonically thin, even driven with a warm sounding 12au7 tube preamp.

Previously, I had used an original 47 Labs 25 watt Gaincard with 50 watt Humpty. Great sound. Fantastic match with the tube pre. Interestingly, when I moved back to Seattle from NYC, I started picking up the local radio station quite loudly; no issues when I was living in NYC. So I had to box it up.

Haven't finished any of my gainclones, but apparently the ones built by Peter Daniel rival the real thing. DIY versions have the potential to sound great.

Switched over to the original version of DIY Paradise Charlize class-D for my main amp (with BG N input caps), and that sounded great. I still prefer the Gaincard, but Charlize gave good enough sound that I stopped thinking about the system and just listened to music, TV, and whatnot. A sure winner, not even considering the cost.

I, too, have the JVC RX-ES1sl hybrid amp. It sounds tubey and musical, but does not match the other previously-mentioned amps when they are driven by a real tube preamp. Didn't breathe as much. Every time I listened to the ES1sl I thought "sounds really close to tubes" and enjoyed it for a while. After a bit, I always felt it was missing something, and when I switched back it became immediately apparent. Still, a good sounding unit that I recommend if you can find one.

At the same time, also played around with the Sharp EX-111. It was spectacular with the Paradigm Atoms I had at the time. Really good pace and rhythm. Good all-around sound. More grip and clarity than the JVC (more like push-pull tubes), but still with an organic tubey sound. I still have the Sharp hooked up to some Lowthers in my bedroom. When put in the right system, you don't think about it; just enjoy listening to music.

I also have the little JVC EX-A1 office system. Got it brand new with the wood speakers for ~$150 some years ago. Nice unit. Wood speakers are more of a conversation piece than a serious speaker. Sound of the amp is very nice, but too soft for the speakers I use. Synergized really well with my Klipsch Heresy v1 that my brother uses, though. A very nice pairing there. Sound is warm, but bouncy, and lively. Really engaging. He uses the pair in his main listening setup.

The lesson I learned is that truly great, satisfying sound can be had for very little money. It's critical, though, that you match the amp with a synergystic speaker. Otherwise, you may get good sound but eventually think that something is missing. Once you hit the right combo, you'll be amazed at how good the system can sound.

If I had to rank them, I would say my favorite to least favorite are:

1. Gaincard/Gainclone
2. Charlize
3. Sharp EX-111/ JVC EX-A1
4. JVC RX-ES1sl
5. Modded SI

Next projects in the affordable amp pipeline are DIY Gainclones of the  LM3886, LM3875, and LM1875 flavors, as well as 41HZ Amp-11.

Best,
KT

PTCannizzaro

« Reply #9 on: 16 Oct 2023, 08:04 pm »
My son has a Dayton amp and he is very pleased with it!!!

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #10 on: 17 Oct 2023, 06:01 pm »
Really good budget amps need to include Nelosn Pass’ ACA and the even cheaper ACA mini.

dave

h2oyo

« Reply #11 on: 10 Nov 2023, 07:03 am »
My son has a Dayton amp and he is very pleased with it!!!

I'm running a Dayton Audio HTA200 for a while now. I find the build quality and the sound from it to be very nice.