OPPO BDP-83SE NuForce Edition !!!

jakenz

Re: OPPO BDP-83SE NuForce Edition !!!
« Reply #120 on: 16 May 2010, 06:42 am »
Oppo had a new firmware release that improves the resolution of the volume control, which may be helpful.

I'm interested in this move by Oppo of the volume control from within the DSP to within the DAC - per their firmware update comments on their website.   

Can anyone (Jason?) confirm whether this change implements a move to a true analogue volume control (albeit digitally controlled) with theoretically no resolution loss at lower volumes, or whether it is simply an improved volume control operating in the digital domain so as to fix a few dsp related issues?  My reading of their firmware release comments - particularly their advice it is better to change volume in a receiver etc - is that it is more likely to be the latter...?  Also I'd expect them to more vocally market the added flexibility the former would give consumers...

Johnnycat

« Reply #121 on: 31 May 2010, 06:13 am »
I've tried using my Oppo NE as a music server and have found it will only play MP3 files from what I can tell. Won't play .WAV or Apple Lossless. I don't want compressed audio ... does anyone know if the Oppo will play any uncompressed audio format. I can't even find anything about music formats in the owners manual.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #122 on: 31 May 2010, 08:38 am »
I've tried using my Oppo NE as a music server and have found it will only play MP3 files from what I can tell. Won't play .WAV or Apple Lossless. I don't want compressed audio ... does anyone know if the Oppo will play any uncompressed audio format. I can't even find anything about music formats in the owners manual.

It won't play uncompressed file. OPPO is primarily a high-end blu-ray and CD player, at least for now.
Stay tune for a Icon music client coming soon ;)

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #123 on: 31 May 2010, 08:39 am »
I'm interested in this move by Oppo of the volume control from within the DSP to within the DAC - per their firmware update comments on their website.   

Can anyone (Jason?) confirm whether this change implements a move to a true analogue volume control (albeit digitally controlled) with theoretically no resolution loss at lower volumes, or whether it is simply an improved volume control operating in the digital domain so as to fix a few dsp related issues?  My reading of their firmware release comments - particularly their advice it is better to change volume in a receiver etc - is that it is more likely to be the latter...?  Also I'd expect them to more vocally market the added flexibility the former would give consumers...

What Oppo did was instead of doing digital decimation, the new FW controls the DAC's analog output level, so it's a 'digitally controlled analog volume' and it has no loss of low-level resolutions.
« Last Edit: 4 Jun 2010, 12:30 am by nuforce-jason »

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant

sac8d4

« Reply #125 on: 6 Jul 2010, 09:09 pm »

Johnnycat,

Jason is correct, I want to add one small point, the BDP-83 can play LCPM, so whatever media server you are using (DBpoweramp Aset, etc.) it can transcode FLAC or other various files to a format that the BDP-83 can output (LCPM).This appears to be the next best soultion, I can not tell of any sonic degradation of the original material.
« Last Edit: 6 Jul 2010, 11:57 pm by sac8d4 »

Ahmad

« Reply #126 on: 15 Aug 2010, 04:55 am »
Hello All-New to the forum.
A little late on this thread; however, I have read almost every post! Excellent back and forth and straightforward answers from Jason and Casey!
Yes, another guy planning on upgrading his BDP-83 to NuForce Ed.  I was in the waiting list way before the unit was released.  Enjoyed the wait as I had just gotten one of the last DV-983H from Oppo.

My Question:I enjoy the 2 channel on the DV-983H; would you say that the BDP-83 NuForce Ed. would be much superior to the  DV-983H audio?
Thanks in advance!

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #127 on: 31 Aug 2010, 03:19 pm »
If you don't care about blue-ray, and just want a world class CD player, buy CDP-8. It is shockingly good. It is going to be hard to find anything better at any price.

If you need blu-ray and also want a very good 2 channel player, OPPO Nuforce Edition is the one.

Ahmad

« Reply #128 on: 12 Sep 2010, 01:45 am »
Thanks for the advice, Jason!
I looked at the CDP-8 (gulp!). Besides the price (I am certain it is worth it); it occurred to me that, if I were to get the CDP-8, wouldn't the quality of the sound be also dependent on the received (Rotel RSP 1570) and the amp (Rotel MKii: I know, very old). And, the cables one is using (Some old monster stuff and old Transparent interconnects)?

I am sure this is discussed somewhere, but wanted to get a general feedback on this.

Now, considering that I care about having an excellent BRay player (and the equipment I have); I think that the 83 NuForce Ed. is probably a more "proportional" of an upgrade. 

Is this a reasonable assumption?

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #129 on: 19 Sep 2010, 03:30 pm »
That's correct. CDP-8 exceptional performance needs world class amp and preamp to bring it out.