More DAC Questions

Escott1377

More DAC Questions
« on: 7 Jul 2020, 08:06 pm »
Still narrowing down my decision on a new DAC.

I looked at the Toubadour SE and don’t think I am going to invest that amount of money to introduce myself to an R2R DAC.

Talked to Linear Tube Audio and had pretty well decided on the MHDT Pagoda but found a thread on the MP-2 MKIII DAC.

Now I know this is not R2R, but if anyone has any experience with the Musical Paradise unit vs the R2R architecture I would love to hear about it.

Or, if someone just wants to share their thoughts on MP-2 those are welcome as well.

I talked to Gary from MP and he recommended the ESS upgrade.  After explaining that my system is all tube based, he felt that the dryness of the Delta sigma chip would not be an issue.

I did get a message on a used Orchid so this may a not matter if the seller’s price is right.

Thanks in advance -

Freo-1

Re: More DAC Questions
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2020, 09:25 pm »
Have you looked at the RME ADI-2?   I use it with an all tube system,  and it sounds great. 

It's loaded with features that allows the listener to adjust the sound to optimize playback.

Escott1377

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2020, 09:39 pm »
No, have not seen it.  I’m to limit my options since good performing DAC’s around $1,500 seem to unlimited in their choices.

I was pretty set on the Toubadour, but just don’t want to spend the $2,500 for the unit.

Both the DAC’s that I originally mentioned seem to hold their value in the resale market.

Freo-1

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jul 2020, 10:15 pm »
The RME ADI-2 is 1150.00, and I would  argue it's as good  or better  than most 2K DACs.

You won't need to re sell it in a year either.