Newbie Question - Can higher fidelity data overdrive a DAC

TechSgtChen

Background: I have a Schiit Modi 3 AND a Schiit Modi 3 multibit

Recently I upgraded to Tidal HiFi/Master quality.

Afterwards it seemed like I was overdriving the amp and had to lower levels.

Question: Is the added fidelity/information in the streams overdriving the capabilities of the DAC or am I just high?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Newbie Question - Can higher fidelity data overdrive a DAC
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2020, 04:41 am »
Background: I have a Schiit Modi 3 AND a Schiit Modi 3 multibit

Recently I upgraded to Tidal HiFi/Master quality.

Afterwards it seemed like I was overdriving the amp and had to lower levels.

Question: Is the added fidelity/information in the streams overdriving the capabilities of the DAC or am I just high?
What sampling rate are this Tidal HiFi/Master?
If it is 24/192 and your DAC dont read this rate it will not ''overdriving'', he will just not operate, or maybe light a error led.

TechSgtChen

« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2020, 04:42 am »
Also where does MQA end at the DAC when you don't have a DAC that decodes MQA?

Am I limited to a specific quality without a DAC that can decode MQA?

TechSgtChen

« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2020, 04:44 am »
What sampling rate are this Tidal HiFi/Master?
If it is 24/192 and your DAC dont read this rate it will not ''overdriving'', he will just not work.

Well good question, I guess it matters if it is in "Master" or "HiFi" and according to Tidal's website:

"HiFi audio is a superior sound but is still limited in its resolution—44.1 kHz /16 bit.

TIDAL has partnered with MQA to deliver something infinitely better: an authenticated and unbroken version (typically 96 kHz / 24 bit) with the highest possible resolution—as flawless as it sounded in the mastering suite. And exactly as the artist intended it to sound."

TechSgtChen

« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2020, 04:47 am »
I'm going to expand my explanation: if I crank up the Magni amp my headphones are plugged to I can't get but about 50% with the higher def audio before it sounds muddy and overdriven.

If I lower the bitrate to "High" from "HiFi" or "Master" then I can crank before it sounds overdriven.

TechSgtChen

« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2020, 04:48 am »
Another way to put it: does the dynamic range of the fidelity require I upgrade my gear?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2020, 04:52 am »
Well good question, I guess it matters if it is in "Master" or "HiFi" and according to Tidal's website:

"HiFi audio is a superior sound but is still limited in its resolution—44.1 kHz /16 bit.

TIDAL has partnered with MQA to deliver something infinitely better: an authenticated and unbroken version (typically 96 kHz / 24 bit) with the highest possible resolution—as flawless as it sounded in the mastering suite. And exactly as the artist intended it to sound."
This is awful marketing, whata shame.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 15 Feb 2020, 04:53 am »
Another way to put it: does the dynamic range of the fidelity require I upgrade my gear?
No. Do your headphone speakers are damaged?

TechSgtChen

« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2020, 04:54 am »
No. Do your headphone speakers are damaged?

Well no, if I back down the quality it seems like they are not overdriven, which seems odd, hence the post and the question. Note: Newbie

Let me also paint a better picture:

I have a "Schiit Stack" with a Modi 3, Magni 3.

I have a main system with a Freya + and Aegir with Klipsch Heresy 3 + Modi Multibit.

BOTH setups exhibit this overdriving behavior.

Both are new, out of box, within the last 3 months. IF they are bad I would be surprised.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2020, 05:00 am »
Well no, if I back down the quality it seems like they are not overdriven, which seems odd, hence the post and the question. Note: Newbie
Seems your HP speakers are not able to withstand the greater dynamics IMO. I though damaged or you have exceeded the drivers power limit.

TechSgtChen

« Reply #10 on: 15 Feb 2020, 05:20 am »
Seems your HP speakers are not able to withstand the greatest dynamics IMO. I though damaged or you have exceeded the power limit.

I modified my original post to include my main system specs. (Sorry, I didn't want to keep posting replies.) Would that apply to the Heresy speakers?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 15 Feb 2020, 05:32 am »
I modified my original post to include my main system specs. (Sorry, I didn't want to keep posting replies.) Would that apply to the Heresy speakers?
Hardly apply.
You could try a CD player in this DAC.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #12 on: 15 Feb 2020, 09:50 am »
What connection type are you using? If it’s optical, that could potentially be the cause.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #13 on: 15 Feb 2020, 04:01 pm »
Is the downstream equipment actually being over-driven by the (clean) decoding of Hi Def signals? Or is the decoding machine unable to supply a clean signal when decoding Hi Def signal? (and you really just notice it when driving it hard) There is not clear way for US readers to know.
Then some of the answers are less than reasonable. Optic cable as cause, gimme' a break.

One point to note is the downstream equipment may be getting too much voltage from the decoding device. The inputs are getting overloaded.One way to CHECK THIS is to add some resistance between the components. You can add resistors if you have any skills. or buy some  (senility makes me forget wtf they are called) but they are little RCA devices with a resistor inside to lower to strong a signal)
ANyway, if you slap a pair of THOSE in, and find all is well. then you will KNOW the signal was overdriving the downstream equipment. Instead of guessing. If it changes nothing about how the sound starts to distort. Then it most likely is a fault in the decoding box.
This is the only thing I can think of to check to help you find the actual reason.

Bemopti123

« Reply #14 on: 15 Feb 2020, 06:36 pm »
Is the downstream equipment actually being over-driven by the (clean) decoding of Hi Def signals? Or is the decoding machine unable to supply a clean signal when decoding Hi Def signal? (and you really just notice it when driving it hard) There is not clear way for US readers to know.
Then some of the answers are less than reasonable. Optic cable as cause, gimme' a break.

One point to note is the downstream equipment may be getting too much voltage from the decoding device. The inputs are getting overloaded.One way to CHECK THIS is to add some resistance between the components. You can add resistors if you have any skills. or buy some  (senility makes me forget wtf they are called) but they are little RCA devices with a resistor inside to lower to strong a signal)
ANyway, if you slap a pair of THOSE in, and find all is well. then you will KNOW the signal was overdriving the downstream equipment. Instead of guessing. If it changes nothing about how the sound starts to distort. Then it most likely is a fault in the decoding box.
This is the only thing I can think of to check to help you find the actual reason.

http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/attenuators.html

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #15 on: 15 Feb 2020, 06:44 pm »
Also where does MQA end at the DAC when you don't have a DAC that decodes MQA?

Am I limited to a specific quality without a DAC that can decode MQA?

If your DAC can't decode MQA then you are limited to 16/44. 

Which is one reason I like Qobuz - real, actual, uncompressed genuine hirez without any of the MQA fuss.  Try a free download/trial of Qobuz & see if you get the same issue.  If you don't, then it's definitely Tidal not playing well with your DAC.  On the plus side, Qobuz has WAY more hirez albums that Tidal does.

mcmusicman

« Reply #16 on: 15 Feb 2020, 06:47 pm »
+1 Tyson
I fell in love with Qobuz.  When they dropped to 15 a month it was a no-brainer.

viggen

« Reply #17 on: 15 Feb 2020, 06:57 pm »
What does "over driven" mean? 

DAC's voltage output should be a constant  so regardless of your media's format nothing should change here.

What is being over driven?  Your amp?  Your speaker?  Your headphone?

MQA doesn't require MQA hardware.  It's decoded by Tidal's software.  Just not "fully" unfolded whatever that means.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #18 on: 15 Feb 2020, 10:20 pm »
Optic cable as cause, gimme' a break.
From Schiit’s website:

“No 24/176.4 or 24/192 from Optical

1. Most Apple computers lock down the optical output above 24/96. If you’re using a Mac, that’s all you get. Complain to Apple.

2. Many PCs also cannot output anything higher than 24/96 on optical. Even if the PC claims higher than 24/96 on optical, the BIOS or drivers may not be able to enable it. Check the manufacturer’s website.

3. Many longer optical cables will struggle with 24/192 data rates. Use a short, high-quality optical cable. And cross your fingers. Really, if you want to do 24/192 reliably, use USB or coax.”

“Distorted Sound or Drop-Outs

1. Optical cables can be problematic at higher data rates. See above.”

Not so crazy of a question now, is it? That’s according to the manufacturer of both DACs in question.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish