Snow storm?

shokunin

Re: Snow storm?
« Reply #20 on: 21 Dec 2006, 09:15 pm »
Snow in the basement photos...

www.mikegalusha.com/blizzard

A sample...

Wow, and your house looks like new construction, if you had finished your ceiling you would most definitely have a mold problem in a few weeks.   I bet your builder is getting some angry phone calls.  Even your I-beam rafters look like the end grain on the douglas fir was not properly sealed / treated.

Glenn

finsup

« Reply #21 on: 21 Dec 2006, 10:56 pm »

You can check the road conditions at http://www.cotrip.org - this is run by the Colorado Department Of Transportation. 200 miles to Lamar starting at 9:30 is a long drive at night in the winter, at least I wouldn't enjoy it. I'd vote for a hotel somewhere.

Back in the 90s when I was in the Air Force and based in North Dakota, some of the missile sites I would have to drive to were two or more hours away.  Sometimes in winter, the wind chill would get to minus 50 but people knew where I was going and when I was expected.

Still, my wife agrees with you, Mike.  Normally, I  would take 70 east to the 287 south.  As anyone who knows Colorado, there is not much east of Gun Club Road until you hit Kansas City. :lol:  So, I'll have to back track a bit and take the 25 south tot he 50 east.  That will add a lot more time to the trip but it does give me many more options. 

Thanks for the link to the CHP.
--Michael
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2006, 11:26 pm by finsup »

Turk

« Reply #22 on: 21 Dec 2006, 11:08 pm »
OK, Why me?  Just read this thread and living in a new house thought I would go down and check the basement where I live in N. E. Denver after Mike's surprise.  So I got my own surprise, 2 inches of water on the floor in about 6 foot area.  Took me 5 minutes to find out where it came from.  The builder forgot to seal the furnace vents so the high winds pushed the snow right through the foundation and damaged a lot of pictures and some of my stored electronics. 

Too lazy to spend three minutes and a tube of silicone and I end up with $500 worth of water damage. I hope the SOB I'm going to talk to at Beazer Homes, the developer, is paid enough to put up with the world class pile of sh.. I am going to deliver as a Christmas gift.

Typical conversation with the home warranty people at Beazer... :deadhorse:

mgalusha

« Reply #23 on: 22 Dec 2006, 12:33 am »
Wow, and your house looks like new construction, if you had finished your ceiling you would most definitely have a mold problem in a few weeks.   I bet your builder is getting some angry phone calls.  Even your I-beam rafters look like the end grain on the douglas fir was not properly sealed / treated.

The house is just over 4 years old and has a 10yr structural warranty. As for angry phone calls, they certainly got one from me. If the other homes in the area have the same problems I'm sure their VM box is over flowing by now. I guarantee they know how pissed off I was. :)

mgalusha

« Reply #24 on: 22 Dec 2006, 12:35 am »
Damn Jerry, sorry to hear about the water damage. I used the shop vac to suck up the snow before it had a chance to melt and cause any real damage. That area of the basement doesn't have much stored in it, although it did drip on the spare microwave.

Oh yeah, the temperature in that side was 41* F this morning. Sure explains why our bedroom is so cold. Might as well just leave the window open.  :finger:

Mike

Dan Banquer

« Reply #25 on: 22 Dec 2006, 01:19 am »
I guess I need to thank mike and turk here; I'm getting lessons on what to look for when I buy a new home.
I never thought I would get this kind of info on audiocircle!
                        d.b.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #26 on: 28 Dec 2006, 05:33 am »
I was over on weather.com ......looks like another big snow storm coming to the Denver area.....Thursday night and Friday.....winter storm warning, 2 inches an hour.
Just in time to strand more travelers at the airport and foul up everyones weekend.... :shake:

sunshinedawg

« Reply #27 on: 28 Dec 2006, 06:05 am »
Yep. doesn't look good. Glad I follow the school breaks and have off this week! Here's a shot of the side of my house.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallerylastup&cat=0&pos=0

lonewolfny42

« Reply #28 on: 28 Dec 2006, 06:10 am »
Yep. doesn't look good. Glad I follow the school breaks and have off this week! Here's a shot of the side of my house.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallerylastup&cat=0&pos=0
Wow Sean.... :o .....and winter has only begun.....good luck. :thumb:

Chris

Turk

« Reply #29 on: 28 Dec 2006, 06:34 am »
If this keeps up I am going to buy a V twin ATV about 750 to 800ccs with 4wd and a 4' to 5' blower.  Spent 4 hours clearing the driveway last week.  How does this relate to audio?  I have no idea, must be snowblind or suffering from oxygen deprivation. :o

lonewolfny42

« Reply #30 on: 28 Dec 2006, 06:42 am »
How does this relate to audio?
A blacker background....I'll explain.
I always noticed....right after a big snow storm....and before the blowers start up....it gets very quiet....no one moving around yet....like a good power conditioner..... 8)

Good luck with the snow Turk..... :thumb:

sunshinedawg

« Reply #31 on: 28 Dec 2006, 06:54 am »
If this keeps up I am going to buy a V twin ATV about 750 to 800ccs with 4wd and a 4' to 5' blower.  Spent 4 hours clearing the driveway last week.  How does this relate to audio?  I have no idea, must be snowblind or suffering from oxygen deprivation. :o

Luckily my neighbor has one and was nice enough to plow my driveway. He also cleared the street in front of my drive!  :thumb:

mgalusha

« Reply #32 on: 28 Dec 2006, 02:40 pm »
We ended up paying a guy with a bobcat to plow our driveway. It's about 100ft long and he only wanted $40, which seemed like a bargain to me. Yeah, they are saying we could have up to 24" by tomorrow night in some areas around the city. Oh joy. On the bright side, the homebuilder paid me a visit yesterday and has agreed they screwed up and will be fixing the opening where the snow came in the basement, but of course that won't be in time for today's snow.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #33 on: 28 Dec 2006, 02:44 pm »
Wow, we haven't even had an inch of snow here outside of Boston yet - I keep waiting for the snow to come, but instead I keep getting unseasonably warm weather.

Glad to hear that your builder is fixing things Mike.  Hopefully Jerry can get something out og his builder as well.

Be careful shoveling and take your time.  Don't overdue it and throw out your back or worse.

Stay inside and listen to some tunes to pass the time.   :banana piano:

George

Thebiker

« Reply #34 on: 28 Dec 2006, 02:53 pm »
I'm in southern New Hampshire and all we have had was a dusting earlier this month :(.  The ski areas must be ready to start human sacrifice by now  :bowdown: or at least prayer to the "SNOW GODS".

mgalusha

« Reply #35 on: 29 Dec 2006, 11:06 pm »
It hasn't snowed too much during the day today, at least not at my house but they are talking about more tonight, tomorrow and Sunday. The photo below is from my front door looking to the south west at about 9:15 this morning. Just a lot of gray and snow.

Oh yeah, and to the left of the bare spot is a 3ft drift.  :roll: I just love the wind...

finsup

« Reply #36 on: 30 Dec 2006, 01:41 am »
Well, after having last Thursday's flight cancelled, we made it from San Diego to Denver on Christmas eve.  Took some friendly advice and rather than drive to Lamar that evening, spent the night in Castle Rock and then completed the 200 mile road trip on Christmas morning to Lamar.  We had booked our return trip to SD on Saturday and had planned on coming back to DIA on Saturday mid-day, but after hearing the weather forecasts on Wednesday night, we decided to come back to Denver yesterday.  We hit snow in Colorado Springs and from there to Denver, we averaged about 20 miles per hour. 

Glad we left yesterday as I'm not sure we would have made it back to Denver on Saturday as planned.  We'll have to see if we can fly out tomorrow.  Right now, it doesn't look too bad outside and Frontier and United have been running most of their flights today.  We'll see how it goes.
-Michael

lonewolfny42

« Reply #37 on: 30 Dec 2006, 05:44 am »
Mike.....Thanks for the photo-its a winter wonderland. With this storm...you still getting snow in the basement ?  :?

Chris

Al Garay

« Reply #38 on: 1 Jan 2007, 07:37 am »
Happy New Year!

I hope rain or warm weather arrives soon. Stay safe.

Al

mgalusha

« Reply #39 on: 2 Jan 2007, 07:41 pm »
Mike.....Thanks for the photo-its a winter wonderland. With this storm...you still getting snow in the basement ?  :?

Hi Chris,

Fortunately no more snow in the basement. It took the truly extraordinary winds of the first blizzard to push the snow into the house. This time it wasn't windy, just heavy and wet. In our area the second round was not nearly as bad but the folks in the foothills took a pretty good beating. My mother & brother live at the base of the foothills and they received about 2ft on top of what the first load was while we only got about a foot or so.

We ended up having a beautiful weekend, bright and sunny, which is helping to melt some of it away. Still cold but lots of sun.

mike