Cyclops on Steroids

artofaudio

Cyclops on Steroids
« on: 27 Jan 2024, 09:49 pm »
I received my Cyclops Extreme Plus on Friday.  It sounds marvelous right out of the box.  After a few hundred hours I will post again, maybe before.  It is very well built and the depth of the bass is to die for.  I can give my NAT a rest for a while. 

rowdyrobot

Re: Cyclops on Steroids
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2024, 05:31 am »
What are those speakers?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2024, 05:44 am »
Nice system. What are that top loading CD Player?

JackD

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2024, 06:20 am »
Jays Audio CDT

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2024, 06:24 am »
Thanks  :thumb:
Any opinion on the Jay's Audio Proprietary Tuned Philips CDPRO2-LF Mechanism?

JackD

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2024, 06:49 am »
I've owned a CDT-3 Mk3 for over a year and love it.  Built like a tank and sounds great. The CDT-2 Mk 3 while a step down in the Phillips transport line has the same build quality and also a sounds better than streaming. Their only real competition in the transport market under five figures is the TOTL ProJect unit with the Stream Unlimited mechanism but unfortunately like with ProJect TT's the quality control and defective rate is unacceptable.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 28 Jan 2024, 07:01 am »
So this Philips transport will last 20 years?
Other world sound quality not important.

JackD

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jan 2024, 07:19 am »
As I'm 69 years old twenty years in the future is not important to me only the sound quality which is superb.  As with anything else in this hobby what level of investment in your gear or room is appropriate is a personal decision. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 28 Jan 2024, 07:30 am »
Now Sony have no parts for my Sony SCD-1 player.
This dont happen with Japanese motorcycles.

Randy

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jan 2024, 10:14 pm »
I've owned a CDT-3 Mk3 for over a year and love it.  Built like a tank and sounds great. The CDT-2 Mk 3 while a step down in the Phillips transport line has the same build quality and also a sounds better than streaming. Their only real competition in the transport market under five figures is the TOTL ProJect unit with the Stream Unlimited mechanism but unfortunately like with ProJect TT's the quality control and defective rate is unacceptable.

I've had the Jay's CDT-2 Mk 3 transport for six or seven months now, and same as you, just love it.  Nice to have a CD player built like a tank with superb sonics.  I use it with a Denafrips Venus DAC after upgrading from the Pontus. Who needs vinyl or streaming?  I sure don't.

Just noticed your Pure Audio Project Trios.  I have the Pure Audio Project Duets.

artofaudio

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jan 2024, 10:16 pm »
Speakers are Pure Audio Project Trio15 Horn 1 with Clarity Caps in crossover
CD transport is Jays CDT3-MK3
DAC is Sw1x III SPX
Amp is Cyclops Extreme SE
Groneburg speaker cables
Other integrated amp NAT Audio Single HPS
Lumin U1 Mini powered by Farad Super3 LPS
Plixir Elite LPS

Both cd transport & Lumin streaming transport are routed via Empirical (updated version) Synchromesh Reclocker.  The Reclocker is powered by Plixir Elite LPS which takes it to another level.

The Cyclops is very smooth but detailed.  Lots of depth in the soundstage.  It’s still breaking in so it sounds thin & thick at times.  So far it’s hard for me to justify spending lots more on an amp unless we are talking 6k and above.

Early B.

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jan 2024, 12:32 am »
Both cd transport & Lumin streaming transport are routed via Empirical (updated version) Synchromesh Reclocker.  The Reclocker is powered by Plixir Elite LPS which takes it to another level.

How does the Lumin compare to the Jay's in sound quality?

artofaudio

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jan 2024, 11:51 pm »
@Early B,

The reclocker, LPS, Live Vibe feet get the LUMIN close, but without the tweaks it’s not even close. The Jays cd transport just sounds better.  No knock on Lumin, they sound really good. I’ve heard an x1 and p1 which are better than my streamer, but i don’t think it sounds better than the Jays. My Sw1x DAC is so different from the x1/p1 DAC so probably not a good comparison. 

I can listen to my streamer all day without a complaint. That’s my primary way of listening and discovering what cds I want to buy