Magnepan LRS

Citius

Magnepan LRS
« on: 5 Feb 2020, 08:23 pm »
Hi everyone!
Im new in this forum my name is Mario, I wanted to see if anybody is familiar with the Magnepan LRS
I like my speakers to be very clear, for example when you listen to “Take Five album” I like the cymbals to sound as if I was in front of the drummer

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Magnepan LRS
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2020, 08:25 pm »
Welcome Mario :thumb:
See the Planar Circle.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=177.0

dwmaggie

• First memory of music was parents Zenith portable.
« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2020, 09:11 pm »
Hi Mario,
I have the MMG Magnepan, it has been replaced by the LRS.  The smaller maggies without the ribbon tweeters tend to roll off the hi notes around 10 to 12k.  Magnepans will give you a very clear window into the music.  For the shimmer and sheen of cymbols, the ribbons can't be beat.  Had a pair of MGCiiic series, shame on me for selling them.  Downsides are 4 feet from back wall for best sound.  Also 200wpc clean amplifier in SS or class D or 70 to 100wpc in tube type amps.  Not sure if the Magnepan 1.7 has the ribbons, the 3.7s for sure.  Do check out the Planar portion of Audio Circle.  I purchased a pair of Martin Logan Clarities to augment the MMG highs.  Welcome to a people friendly, helpful audio site, this place rocks.  Enjoy the music.  Jerry

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2020, 10:09 pm »
Mario,

Welcome to Audio Circle. If cymbals don’t sound right with ribbons, then there’s a problem up stream.

Saturn94

« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2020, 11:21 pm »
This sounds great on my LRS (driven by a Parasound Classic 5250 amp; 385wpc @ 4 ohms)

Is this the “Take Five” you are refering to?
« Last Edit: 6 Feb 2020, 01:55 pm by Saturn94 »

Citius

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2020, 06:50 am »
Thanks a lot guys for this wonderful info!
I will try those magnepans and see how they sound with my system 😉
Thanks!

Stu Pitt

« Reply #6 on: 7 Feb 2020, 11:12 pm »
Can the LRS be bi-amped?

srb

« Reply #7 on: 7 Feb 2020, 11:53 pm »
Doesn't appear so, at least not without modification.