33 1/3 to 45 RPM switching

Bobbywheat

33 1/3 to 45 RPM switching
« on: 16 Feb 2020, 07:10 pm »
After 9 years ownership, I'm still very happy with my Amadeus GTA, sound wise that is. As for operability, a little less. Its the darn belt, there just to fragile. Once I get one that works well, I tend to not touch it, therefore never playing my 45 speed disks. I see that the new Amadeus 254 GT has 33 1/3 to 45 RPM switching without touching the darn  :evil: belt.

Does anyone know if this (motor, PS or both) can be fitted on the regular Amadeus? The motor looks like it's the same size.

Thanks

Robert

mick wolfe

Re: 33 1/3 to 45 RPM switching
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2020, 02:24 am »
After 9 years ownership, I'm still very happy with my Amadeus GTA, sound wise that is. As for operability, a little less. Its the darn belt, there just to fragile. Once I get one that works well, I tend to not touch it, therefore never playing my 45 speed disks. I see that the new Amadeus 254 GT has 33 1/3 to 45 RPM switching without touching the darn  :evil: belt.

Does anyone know if this (motor, PS or both) can be fitted on the regular Amadeus? The motor looks like it's the same size.

Thanks

Robert

That's a good question for Mike Pranka. I finally bit the bullet and starting making my own belts. Not to concerned about belts breaking now as I have at least a dozen standing by. That said, yes, it sure would be a lot more handy to change speeds with a switch.

Bobbywheat

« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2020, 02:59 pm »
Yes, I also make my own belts. Like you I made myself a big batch thinking I'm done for life, my first belts would last me over a year each suddenly they all started to break one after the other. I read, I think somewhere on this site, that the polyester thread strength on a roll is not uniform. This person, contrary to me, had problems at the beginning, going through belts after belts and I remember reading his frustration and wondering what was wrong since I had no problems with mine, well, I ended up understanding him. The last belt I've been using is working fine, I've had it for a good 6 month so far, but I sure ain't touching it, therefore I've abandoned playing 45's.

Bobbywheat

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2020, 03:17 pm »
Either way, when you pay 4000$ for a turntable you should not need to move a belt to a different pulley to change speed, that's archaic. That should of been a deal breaker when I bought the turntable, like the kids would say, my bad, but then I have to admit, sound wise, I am very happy.

Backwell

« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2020, 05:18 pm »
Well, where's Mike Pranka when we need an answer ? Mike ??

Labpro

« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2020, 02:29 am »
I am also making my own belts with good success.
However, I continue to have issues with the platter speed.
It literally gets slower or faster from one side of an LP to another. Any suggestions?

ADiG

« Reply #6 on: 4 Apr 2020, 10:13 am »
It is advisable not to stop the platter to change discs.
Always let it spin :wink:

Labpro

« Reply #7 on: 4 Apr 2020, 04:20 pm »
Thank you for the advice. That absolutely makes sense.

mick wolfe

« Reply #8 on: 4 Apr 2020, 09:51 pm »
I'll add that I always give mine a little "assist" to get it spinning initially.

Backwell

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jul 2020, 06:36 am »
I'll add that I always give mine a little "assist" to get it spinning initially.

I also do this when starting the motor, I also use a length of string for moving the belt when I change speeds, it seems to work fine. Another tweek I’m going to make is investing in a Linear Power supply, not for performance improvement but more for just getting rid of the switch mode PSU which is most probably polluting my mains supply. I will report back here when I’ve affected this change.

sebrof

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jul 2020, 10:49 pm »
Interesting to read (again) about belt problems. I have been making my own since the one that came with my table broke and I usually replace them after a few months before they break because I believe they probably stretch a little over time.
I have a KAB speed strobe and the 33 1/3 speed is dead on and the 45 is a little fast (but not as fast as my Rega was)

The poly thread is like $4 for 100 yards or whatever, so maybe get a few rolls and experiment assuming it's possible that some thread is weaker/thinner? IDK, I guess I'm just lucky I guess.
If you click on my gallery I have a pic of the thread I use that was suggested by Mike Pranka.

G E

« Reply #11 on: 12 Jul 2020, 04:34 pm »

I also do this when starting the motor, I also use a length of string for moving the belt when I change speeds, it seems to work fine. Another tweek I’m going to make is investing in a Linear Power supply, not for performance improvement but more for just getting rid of the switch mode PSU which is most probably polluting my mains supply. I will report back here when I’ve affected this change.

I built my own linear PS for about $125

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=126851.0

You might be able to find a suitable PS at goodwill. One of my computer monitors has a high quality power supply that used before I finished my DIY ps.

RPM123

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jul 2020, 04:56 pm »
My original belt broke after 5 years of use, but I have a couple of spares. I bought a Versalex new,  so I qualify for the "belts for life program". I always feel a bit squeamish though when stretching the belt to fit over the 45 RPM part of the motor spindle, however I have not had any issues with breakage or speed fluctuations.  I also tend to line up my 45 RPM records to play once I have made made the change, thereby reducing the frequency of belt moving. That said, I would welcome a push button speed change.

That's about the only "issue" that I can fault with the WTT, since it sounds so darn good. My dealer keeps his WTT running all the time ,(when he's open) even when changing records. I refuse to do that since some of my LPs have holes that are a very tight fit over the spindle and I don't want to risk stretching or breaking the belt.