Cambridge azur 840A might be done and looking for replacement amp advice

johnsalt18

Hello again! New to the forum and hoping to get help from the experts and be better educated. I have approximately 500 vinyl albums most from the 60 and 70's and all in excellent condition. I have a Cambridge azur 840A integrated amp, 540P preamp, Music Hall mmf 5.1 turntable, Vandersteen 1B speakers and Bowers & Wilkins DM602 S3 speakers and NAD CD player. Two days ago I turned everything on and there was faint and minimal sound. I continued turning up the volume and at the upper end started to hear intermittent and crackling sound. Did this several time and then received a DC ERROR message. I pulled the power cord immediately and then saw in the azur manual that the unit has a built-in DC Detection that also protects the speakers if there is an internal fault but it also says that the DC detection might appear if there is hard clipping. Given I had the volume almost at full I am assuming this was a hard clipping issue. I have tried to contact Cambridge Audio but no response so far. Has anyone experienced this issue?

Also, if the azur is shot and I am looking for something with 100w at 8 ohm, which amp would you recommend of the Cambridge 851A, RA1572 or NAD C 326BEE?
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2020, 05:24 pm by johnsalt18 »

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
I hope I'm not being too much of a jerk by asking why the volume was so high?  But it does lead to the amp you are looking at for a possible replacement.  If you clipped using a 120 watt amp, shouldn't you be looking at 200 watts minimum? 

Regarding your 840, my guess is that the protection circuit will reset on its own or there's a switch to flip back inside the case.  Here's hoping for that outcome.

johnsalt18

No, you are not being a jerk for asking that question. I know it was not the smartest thing to do but there was minimal sound coming out and I simply wanted to see if and when it would. I was using the remote and simply went too far. There was still no sound when I got the DC error. Yes, once I plugged the power back it did work and hoped it was a reset solution. Cambridge is now telling me that I should have it checked even though there is a override to save the speakers blowing with a DC error.

Thanks for your input!

toocool4

Never hurts to get it checked out, better safe than sorry?