Trends UD-10 USB converter

studley

Trends UD-10 USB converter
« on: 10 Nov 2006, 11:03 am »
Anybody any experience of this new bit of kit.  Looks interesting at just $90.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: Trends UD-10 USB converter
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2008, 02:26 am »
This is an old thread but what the heck, saves me from having to start one. I've been a sole computer music source guy for over 2 years now and have had excellent success using a M-Audio Revolution 7 sound card with a digital coax. But I attribute all of this success to a plug-in, the DFX Audio Enhancer that brings the fidelity of the music to that of any good CDP.

BUT I've been tracking these USB Converters for quite some time now,,, not really willing to pay hundred of dollars to replace what i already consider a good source. Well that all changed after reading the god press about the audiophile upgraded Trends UD 10.1 USB converter. I was able to find a good deal from OBAD Import in Canada (but they have a US distributor in Washington), the Converter & battery box option for under $160 shipped. I just got the package today and I must say I'm highly impressed with this little gadget. And what surprised me even more was my DFX Audio Enhancer still comes thru the USB, I didn't think it would. Differences from what I had,,,, w/o DFX the sound card wasn't worth listening to. The sound was just flat. Not so with the Trends, the sound comes thru very very clean with a lot of air between the instruments/singers. I found myself wanting to listen to stereo instead of my mainstay Dolby Pro Logic 2x because all this air in the soundstage was actually creating the illusion of background sound. But the first thing that really popped out,, more than the expanded soundstage,, had to be the bass. I've never heard it sound so clear or tight in my system all tho I always thought it was pretty good to begin with. It's much better now.  :D (I still find myself using DFX Audio Enhancer tho, it adds that little something extra) I'm using my own rechargeable batteries that happen to be the same 2300mAh Ni -MH but maybe better made. Dunno but I'm told to expect 4 hours playing time per charge and I already have over 6 hours on my batteries so,,,,,
I'm using a Crystal Cable Digit from the coax output of this Converter. I had absolutely no problems with this plug & play USB Converter, my Windows XP picked it up immediately and I haven't detected any need to any downloads that are located at trends website. I had full intention of sending this unitback if the sound didn't surpass what I've had with my m-Audio sound card. I don't be sending this UD 10.1 back.

Highly recommended!  :thumb:
Cheers,
Robin

GHM

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2008, 03:39 am »
This is an old thread but what the heck, saves me from having to start one. I've been a sole computer music source guy for over 2 years now and have had excellent success using a M-Audio Revolution 7 sound card with a digital coax. But I attribute all of this success to a plug-in, the DFX Audio Enhancer that brings the fidelity of the music to that of any good CDP.

BUT I've been tracking these USB Converters for quite some time now,,, not really willing to pay hundred of dollars to replace what i already consider a good source. Well that all changed after reading the god press about the audiophile upgraded Trends UD 10.1 USB converter. I was able to find a good deal from OBAD Import in Canada (but they have a US distributor in Washington), the Converter & battery box option for under $160 shipped. I just got the package today and I must say I'm highly impressed with this little gadget. And what surprised me even more was my DFX Audio Enhancer still comes thru the USB, I didn't think it would. Differences from what I had,,,, w/o DFX the sound card wasn't worth listening to. The sound was just flat. Not so with the Trends, the sound comes thru very very clean with a lot of air between the instruments/singers. I found myself wanting to listen to stereo instead of my mainstay Dolby Pro Logic 2x because all this air in the soundstage was actually creating the illusion of background sound. But the first thing that really popped out,, more than the expanded soundstage,, had to be the bass. I've never heard it sound so clear or tight in my system all tho I always thought it was pretty good to begin with. It's much better now.  :D (I still find myself using DFX Audio Enhancer tho, it adds that little something extra) I'm using my own rechargeable batteries that happen to be the same 2300mAh Ni -MH but maybe better made. Dunno but I'm told to expect 4 hours playing time per charge and I already have over 6 hours on my batteries so,,,,,
I'm using a Crystal Cable Digit from the coax output of this Converter. I had absolutely no problems with this plug & play USB Converter, my Windows XP picked it up immediately and I haven't detected any need to any downloads that are located at trends website. I had full intention of sending this unitback if the sound didn't surpass what I've had with my m-Audio sound card. I don't be sending this UD 10.1 back.

Cheers,
Robin

Are you using ASIO with the Trends? If you're not..you still haven't heard all the unit can do. It also works great with the USB-Audio driver. Bypassing the Kmixer is one of the most important things to getting good sound from any USB Dac using Windows XP.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2008, 03:50 am »
Are you refering to Asioforall?

GHM

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2008, 03:51 am »
Yes ASIO4all is the free ware version. There are several out there. USB-AUDIO is another. It is not free though.
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2008, 04:06 am by GHM »

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2008, 04:56 am »

Cheers,
Robin

Are you using ASIO with the Trends? If you're not..you still haven't heard all the unit can do. It also works great with the USB-Audio driver. Bypassing the Kmixer is one of the most important things to getting good sound from any USB Dac using Windows XP.

Guess I was thinking that if the Converter worked when plugged in, then ASIO wasn't needed. Guess that's why the DFX was still improving the sound quality. I installed asioforall from the Trends homesite and after selecting USB Audio Device in the Control Panel, the audio cleaned up to the point that the DFX hardly made any difference. In fact, I'm totally blown away by the sound w/o DFX.  :o Now this Trends unit is indeed something really special.  aa
Still need to figure out all the controls but for now, I simply have the Buffer size all the way to the left and I'm not touching anything else. Thanks for getting me squared away with this new toy GHM.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

GHM

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2008, 05:31 am »
Hi Robin ..no problem..next question. What are you using as the playback software.. WMP, Foobar, Winamp ?

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2008, 06:08 am »
Hi Robin ..no problem..next question. What are you using as the playback software.. WMP, Foobar, Winamp ?

My HTPC is setup for 2005 Windows XP Media Edition so I'm using WMP 11 and all my downloaded music is done in VBR Q90. Yeah I know Foobar & lossless is better but I'm happy with what I now have and I like the fact that WMP 11 catalogs album covers. That means alot to me.

Cheers,
Robin

GHM

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jan 2008, 06:19 am »

My HTPC is setup for 2005 Windows XP Media Edition so I'm using WMP 11 and all my downloaded music is done in VBR Q90. Yeah I know Foobar & lossless is better but I'm happy with what I now have and I like the fact that WMP 11 catalogs album covers. That means alot to me.

Cheers,
Robin

One look at J.River media center's catalogs and you'll never use the WMP again...yup it is that cool! Down load it for free and try out the theater view accessing your music and movies. It does all the cool album art as well.

I can pull up and view nearly 200 movies and 3000 songs on my HD with a few clicks. It even gives me the current weather in the area.

It also recognizes your ASIO and gives you the ability to use it to its full potential.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #9 on: 19 Jan 2008, 06:44 am »
GHM....

It even gives me the current weather in the area.

What.....you don't have a window you can look out ? :jester:

That J.River media center looks good.... 8)

Link...

GHM

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jan 2008, 07:26 am »
GHM....

It even gives me the current weather in the area.

What.....you don't have a window you can look out ? :jester:

That J.River media center looks good.... 8)

Link...

:lol: Chris you're a nut man!! Thanks for the link!  :D

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 20 Jan 2008, 11:58 am »

Cheers,
Robin

One look at J.River media center's catalogs and you'll never use the WMP again...yup it is that cool! Down load it for free and try out the theater view accessing your music and movies. It does all the cool album art as well.

I can pull up and view nearly 200 movies and 3000 songs on my HD with a few clicks. It even gives me the current weather in the area.

It also recognizes your ASIO and gives you the ability to use it to its full potential.

Well GHM, I took your advise and downloaded a trial run of J.River and picked up on the basics pretty quick. I got in the audio and actived ASIO and there's no doubt about the fact the audio is much more refined than WMP11. Bells & Whistle up the a$$! I still need to read the instructions and I need to figure out the 15 files that didn't load up from my 3011 album library. And this J. Rivers isn't cheap at $40 but it is real sweet and I can't see me going back to Windows. Lookslike the next logical step now is to ditch the batteries. Had i known about added Elpac power supply's, Inever would have bought the optional battery pack. I saw a my first squeezebox yesterday with a ELPAC WM075-1950-760 and just knowing that the ELPAC WM220-1 is 3 times the size and can be modded just says to me i need this. :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

GHM

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jan 2008, 02:51 pm »

Well GHM, I took your advise and downloaded a trial run of J.River and picked up on the basics pretty quick. I got in the audio and actived ASIO and there's no doubt about the fact the audio is much more refined than WMP11. Bells & Whistle up the a$$! I still need to read the instructions and I need to figure out the 15 files that didn't load up from my 3011 album library. And this J. Rivers isn't cheap at $40 but it is real sweet and I can't see me going back to Windows. Lookslike the next logical step now is to ditch the batteries. Had i known about added Elpac power supply's, Inever would have bought the optional battery pack. I saw a my first squeezebox yesterday with a ELPAC WM075-1950-760 and just knowing that the ELPAC WM220-1 is 3 times the size and can be modded just says to me i need this. :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

Well Robin  :lol:..looks like you're on your way!! Yeah I had the battery pack as well. The Elpac is soo much easier to work with.

A good friend came over yesterday. I was going through my movies and music using the theater view. He ask me what I had done to the PC. He said it made him want to try the J.River software out and he isn't an audiophile or videophile.. :lol:...

Tell me about it with the options!!! Man I need some college courses to figure this thing out!!! :o

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 22 Jan 2008, 09:56 pm »

Cheers,
Robin

Well Robin  :lol:..looks like you're on your way!! Yeah I had the battery pack as well. The Elpac is soo much easier to work with.

A good friend came over yesterday. I was going through my movies and music using the theater view. He ask me what I had done to the PC. He said it made him want to try the J.River software out and he isn't an audiophile or videophile.. :lol:...

Tell me about it with the options!!! Man I need some college courses to figure this thing out!!! :o

GHM

Do you have any info that maybe the Channel Island VDC-SB power supply might work with the Trends? The ELPAC power supplys are interchangeable between the Squeezebox and the Trends UD 10.1 aren't they?

Cheers,
Robin
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2008, 12:29 am by satfrat »

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #14 on: 22 Jan 2008, 10:04 pm »
No, the Trends 10.1 is 12v.

-Roy

Karsten

« Reply #15 on: 22 Jan 2008, 10:42 pm »
No, the Trends 10.1 is 12v.

-Roy

Actually the UD-10 is 5V it is the TA-10.1 which is 12V

Regards,
Karsten

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #16 on: 22 Jan 2008, 11:09 pm »
Yes, that's what I mean. The 5v Elpac won't work with the Trend 10.1.

--Roy
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2008, 11:46 pm by rajacat »

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 23 Jan 2008, 12:26 am »
Yes, that's what I mean. The 5v Elpac won't work with the Trend 10.1.

--Roy

The Channel Islands VDC-SB power supply will work with the Trends UD 10.1 USB Converter. Wayne Waananen says it's a good buy for this USB Converter and you can even work the power cord game,,, unlike the ELPAC WM200-1. But he also said the modded ELPAC would provide a softer sound, something to think about if you have a bright computer system to start with.  :thumb:

I'm on the fence with which way to go myself.  :scratch:

Cheers,
Robin

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #18 on: 23 Jan 2008, 12:29 am »
I guess I'm getting the Trends amp and the USB converter confused. :oops:

--Roy

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #19 on: 23 Jan 2008, 12:41 am »
I guess I'm getting the Trends amp and the USB converter confused. :oops:

--Roy

That was my fault for not being specific, I just had 10.1 in my original post.  :oops: