PS3
7 (38.9%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: 18 Nov 2005, 08:11 pm

XBox360 or Playstation 3?

PhilNYC

« on: 18 Nov 2005, 08:11 pm »
Ok...with the XBox 360 being launched next week, the obvious question to ask is...do I get the XBox 360?  Or do I wait for the PS3?

rbrb

« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2005, 08:44 pm »
Are there any 360 launch titles that you must have?   Racing games is where it's at for me.  PGR3 and NFS Most Wanted both look excellent.

PhilNYC

« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2005, 08:54 pm »
I'm mostly a sports game fan (football, basketball)...used to be into games like Resident Evil, but as a parent I just don't have the time to go thru long games like that.

I wasn't even thinking about the XBox360 until this whole episode with Sony's DRM thing started me thinking about avoiding Sony products.  Looking at some of the XBox 360 capabilities (eg. DVR, media management, etc) certainly look interesting....

rbrb

« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2005, 09:01 pm »
If you like to play sports games online X-Box/360 Live is the way to go.

mcrespo71

« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2005, 09:55 pm »
Sony will still have the most 3rd party support, so I'm waiting until the PS3 comes out.  At which point, the Xbox 360 may drop in price.  I'm seriously underwhelmed by the launch titles of the 360- only one that looks like a winner is Perfect Dark Zero.  If you are just playing sports games, then the Xbox 360 may be better because Xbox live is excellent.  

Michael

John Ashman

• http://forum.adnm.com
« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov 2005, 11:12 pm »
The BD drive really won't offer much of an advantage for game playing from what I understand.  Microsoft in an evil corporation, but they're *our* evil corporation!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 21 Nov 2005, 09:27 am »
I was disappointed to see Oblivion dropped off the list of launch titles- it was one of the few that looked appealing.  Perfect Dark Zero also looks good, but not much else yet.

I probably won't have one for quite awhile as I neglected to reserve one.  It looks like the *real* launch date will be several months (ie the point when the stores will have enough for anyone who wants one).

Tr3vWh0r3

« Reply #7 on: 21 Nov 2005, 11:33 am »
From what I have heard the Sony is completely backwards compatible while the Xbox is not. The Sony will deliver 1080p the Xbox 1080i. The Sony will have Blu-Ray disc support which developers want because the dvd-9 discs are a little too small. The Sony's will also play SACD.

That is what I have heard and seen spec wise on the two. Not my own "thoughts" so if anything is wrong please don't blame me. Personally the Xbox looks great and I think for the money is a great deal.

Woodsea

« Reply #8 on: 21 Nov 2005, 11:46 am »
The problem the way I see M$ looking at it is this.  They gotta get this thang out well before $0ny does their POS3.  They did a rush job.  Not in a hardware bad way at all.  Just meaning they did not have the capabilities of getting the DevKits out in time for truly next gen games.  But some, none like our loving self contented community....like to have the latest and greatest.  So they need to feed the afore mentioned group, esp the said percentage that can wait a month or two.  Now the Japanese company is more like 7 mos. away...cool...all is well in the minds of those Redmond folk.   Of course this does not make naysayers (ye olde tightwads....more buck for the yuan types) want to shell out before black friday.  Oh, well there is time.  Now you know old Billy 'silicon Warbucks' Gates, is hammering those late night game coders to have Really good titles, coming every month all the way up until the rising suns #3 is let loose upon the horizon.  At that point, good ole (shades of ole glory) Master Chief with his 3rd stripe comes a struttin and swipes a wee bit of the PS3 war glory.  
I will be buying the full spin full tilt 360 in about a month or so, only when a few titles I have to have are finally out.

mcrespo71

« Reply #9 on: 27 Nov 2005, 02:30 am »
So did anyone end up getting their hands on an Xbox 360?  I saw some games this weekend and most looked pretty good, but only one I saw was stunning and that was Project Gotham Racing 3- WOW!  Everything else I saw were nice, but underwhelming graphically (King Kong, Call of Duty 3, Madden 2006, and Perfect Dark Zero) and Amped 3 looked like ass.  I wish I had preordered one, so I could have flipped it for a profit- people are going crazy for this thing.  Oh well, now I just need to wait for PS3.

Michael

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #10 on: 27 Nov 2005, 05:03 am »
Spotted this bit of info concerning problems... :o

mcrespo71

« Reply #11 on: 27 Nov 2005, 05:38 am »
Typical Microsoft!  Ship with glitches and fix later! :lol:

WerTicus

« Reply #12 on: 27 Nov 2005, 05:44 am »
wheres the consoles sux option?

Woodsea

« Reply #13 on: 28 Nov 2005, 03:56 am »
Huge mistake by M$.   They better put a quick spin on this one and make the affected customers real happy with freebies like Gold instead of Silver 'Live'.
It will be interesting to see how the 'other' console fares.  As they are going outside their comfort range with production.
Strike one for the X!!!!

mcrespo71

« Reply #14 on: 28 Nov 2005, 04:15 am »
I know PS2 had many problems with their initial production, so I'm not sure they will have a perfect launch from a quality standpoint either.  Nintendo consoles have a much better track record for reliability- with the exception of the blowing one had to do on cartridges for the first NES to get them to work properly.  I'm still on the same GCN that I bought in 2001.  I replaced my original PS2 and have had 2 Xbox replacements.  My first Xbox had the stupid Thompson DVD drive and eventually quit working.  

It's not good press, though, for a console to be breaking down on numerous consumers and it hasn't been out a week.  My original Xbox and PS2 both took a year until problems started happening.

As I stated before, I will wait for the PS3 and, of course, the Revolution.  The Xbox360 needs to work out it's kinks for now.  I'm sure I'll get one when the price drops.  Also, I just found out not all original Xbox games are backward compatible on the Xbox 360, so I guess I'm selling those that are not because my original Xbox is going up for sale now.