Glass shower door options

mcgsxr

Glass shower door options
« on: 8 Oct 2013, 05:26 pm »
Finally finishing off the basement bathroom (the main room was built this past winter).

Have a custom tiled shower.  32x58.5 so typical bathtub sized. 

Have a similar shower in the master ensuite with a glass panel, and glass door (frameless, house built in 96).

Anyone have one of the newer frameless sliding glass doors?  Love it?  Hate it?

Seeking input before I drop,the $.  Both spec out approx same cost. 

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
Re: Glass shower door options
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2013, 06:39 pm »
Here is the hardware we are getting for our new house:

http://www.drexlershowerdoor.com/exposedrollerslidingdoors.php

I'm sure you can find it locally. We also order low-iron glass with a Showergard coating.

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2013, 06:56 pm »
That is the sliding system under consideration, or certainly something that looks very similar.

I am hoping to hear from some folks that have lived with it, and could comment vs a standard fixed panel and glass swinging door.

Not sure if either is easier or harder to maintain etc.

I am leaning towards the sliding door setup (current look, simplifies interference with other items and the shower door swinging) and did a lower than standard curb in that shower to allow for a very open look (and one eye towards mobility degradation in the future!).

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2013, 07:07 pm »
That is the sliding system under consideration.

I am hoping to hear from some folks that have lived with it, and could comment vs a standard fixed panel and glass swinging door.

Not sure if either is easier or harder to maintain etc.

I've had frameless shower doors in my former and current rental. Even though both are supposed to be pretty high end, I don't care for them. The glass frames are difficult to clean under the best of circumstances. You also have to be very careful that the door doesn't slam shut since there is always the risk that the glass with shatter if subjected to too much stress.

The bypass slider I suggested performed wonderfully in the showroom, so I have high hopes for when it is installed. Price-wise it was more affordable than I expected.

My advice is to go to a specialty company and see what they have to offer. Avoid the big box stores since they typically don't sell the best products. 

BobM

« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2013, 07:43 pm »
Don't go frameless, especially if there are any glassed right angles. A full glass "wall" isn;t light and will settle as the construction around it settles. You want things to stay aligned in a shower or you will be cleaning up puddles on the floor afterwared. Make sure the glass has a frame on top to keep it square.

bearman2

« Reply #5 on: 8 Oct 2013, 09:23 pm »
  I have a frameless panel and door and it works very well. A hint on maintenance would be to use Rain-x on the inside every time you clean because it makes life easier.

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 9 Oct 2013, 12:19 pm »
The shower is framed and tiled.  Only the one wall is open, and will be a glass system, so no glass right angles.

Ordered a sliding set last night, install next Tuesday.

Good point about the RainX, I never would have thought about that!

BobM

« Reply #7 on: 9 Oct 2013, 01:05 pm »
RainX is a good thing. We have slightly hard water on Long Island and over time it leaves scaling on the glass. Nothing much seems to clean this off ... tried lemon stuff, orange stuff, vinegar stuff, heavy duty anti-scaling stuff, and over time it still builds up. I actually took a razor window scraper to it and that removed it. Applying RainX definitely helps keep this to a minimum.

bearman2

« Reply #8 on: 9 Oct 2013, 07:55 pm »
I have a problem with deposits also and have found that Scotch-Brite non-scratch pads work well. I spray glass cleaner on the glass panel and the scrub side of the pad and with ease the deposit are removed and then use paper towel. I have done this for a few years and have not noticed that the pad has scratched the glass.   good luck  John

mcgsxr

« Reply #9 on: 15 Oct 2013, 04:31 pm »
Wanted to report back, as the sliding doors went in today.  Appears to be the exact system referenced above, and went in well (sometimes planning does pay off!).

Thanks for the help boys, I will get the RainX done once the silicone cures.

rodge827

« Reply #10 on: 15 Oct 2013, 10:01 pm »
Nice Doors!

I just did a job in Loveladies NJ and those same doors were used in the bathrooms.
Your gonna like them!

« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2013, 11:21 pm by rodge827 »

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #11 on: 15 Oct 2013, 11:19 pm »
Hi Mcgsxr:

That does look like the same hardware. We were really impressed with showroom version. Keep us posted on how it performs in the real world.