Fet Valve CFR Preamp and Tubes?

Pstores

Fet Valve CFR Preamp and Tubes?
« on: 1 Jul 2018, 07:39 pm »
    Fairly soon I will be taking possession of my first AVA componant. Since the tubes will be new. It would be a good time to make an honest comparison. Has anyone had luck with different tubes. Other  than the stock ones with about the same amount of run time?  So any suggestions?

Lefty052347

• AVA Associate

Pstores

Re: Fet Valve CFR Preamp and Tubes?
« Reply #2 on: 2 Jul 2018, 02:58 am »
Yeah I had read that already. Didn't really pertain to the CFR. Read a few other threads seemed people liked to freeze the tubes.  most everything I read n that across the board seems that doesn't help much.

Lefty052347

• AVA Associate
« Reply #3 on: 2 Jul 2018, 08:25 pm »
The main difference between the CF and the CFR is that the CFR has full remote control, hence the "R" designation.  I believe choice of tubes would be independent of the remote functions.

Regards,
Dean

Pstores

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jul 2018, 09:43 pm »
Yes I figured that. You seemed to be the only one in that thread that has the CF. Others had different variations that used different tubes. I can now search the forums so I’ll try that. Account was restricted from searching before.
    But from what you say the tubes don’t make much difference from the stock ones?

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jul 2018, 09:57 pm »
Don't own a CF, nor any AVA.  But I do own two tube preamps and 5 tube amps with tube drivers and I have heard differences between the small signal tubes in everyone of them.  Sometimes very little difference, perhaps some imagined, but at other times it made a decided difference in some aspect of the sound. 

In one preamp I swapped out lower grade Chinese 6DJ8s for Amperex JAN 6922s and the sound opened up along with the treble becoming less edgy.   In a Dennis Had-built Inspire amplifier, I swapped out a new, reissue Tung-sol 6SN7 for a vintage Westinghouse 6SN7 (I preferred this tube over 4 vintage Sylvania 6SN7s) and the soundstage became deeper with a more natural, less compressed sound. 

In a Conrad Johnson preamp, some 12AU7 tubes were warmer, some had wooly bass, some were more neutral. 

At other times swaps yielded no discernible difference, or even had a negative effect.   Sometimes I prefer vintage, but some new tubes are quite good.

I would run your new tubes in a bit before conducting comparisons.

What tubes are stock in your preamp?   

charmerci

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jul 2018, 10:08 pm »
Don't own a CF, nor any AVA.  But I do own two tube preamps....

Well, thing about AVA is that often he just uses tubes in some of his equipment for gain only. In the case of the CFR - "The Fet Valve CF SLR's audio stage is all tube, using 12AT7 tubes for gain and 12AU7 tubes as cathode followers."

So it follows that there is no reason to replace the 12AT7's.

martyo

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jul 2018, 10:52 pm »
I have all AVA gear and have heard differences with any tubes I’ve tried in my amp, preamp, and dac. I use Telefunkin or Siemens 12AT7’s in my amp

Pstores

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jul 2018, 12:42 am »
So help me out alittle more. Of tubes are used for gain and not the entire circuit there isn’t really much to gain by  changing tubes or even using them bs SS???  Because the tube influence on the component isn’t there?

SgtPepper

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jul 2018, 01:18 am »
Check out this thread where Frank discusses the tubes used in the FET Valve CF Preamp (not the latest "R" version but pretty much identical internally)...

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=143144.0

Pstores

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jul 2018, 01:46 am »
   Thanks that was one thread I hadn’t read. But it’s confusing because Frank asked about tubes in his 600r amp before a review.

Pstores

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jul 2018, 01:50 am »
This is where I get confused. When he says it doesn’t matter then when a review is on the horizon and stakes are high he wants to know what’s best. No picking on Frank here. Just want to get the most out of my purchase is all.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=104025.0

Think according to the reading here though I’ll freeze the tubes for 24 hours prior to use.  :popcorn:

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #12 on: 3 Jul 2018, 02:15 am »
This is where I get confused. When he says it doesn’t matter then when a review is on the horizon and stakes are high he wants to know what’s best. No picking on Frank here. Just want to get the most out of my purchase is all.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=104025.0

Think according to the reading here though I’ll freeze the tubes for 24 hours prior to use.  :popcorn:

Tubes make a difference.  Some differences will be minimal, some will be very noticeable.  Some you will like and some you will  hate.   It is all trial and error with tube rolling.  I own a couple of Franks hybrid tube/SS gear and every tube change was different.
It is hard to recommend tubes because of system synergy with the rest of your gear.  You can drive  yourself crazy looking for the holy grail of tubes like I did.  I now run a preamp that uses 8 tubes all the same with no options for tube rolling as there is only one brand available.

I have  friend that has the CF preamp and rolled tubes and liked what he heard.

Have some fun trying different tubes!

Larry

avahifi

« Reply #13 on: 3 Jul 2018, 12:27 pm »
Larry, remember that I have a new Vision SET 400 amp waiting for you to take home.

Frank

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #14 on: 3 Jul 2018, 02:08 pm »
Frank, I sent you a PM.

Larry