Khartago Mono & Maggies

esus1

Khartago Mono & Maggies
« on: 27 Mar 2020, 02:27 pm »
Hello All,
I am considering the purchase of some Magnepan .7. I think these will be a great pairing with the monos from Odyssey. Does anyone have experience with this type setup?

AvsFan

Re: Khartago Mono & Maggies
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2020, 03:37 pm »
Hello All,
I am considering the purchase of some Magnepan .7. I think these will be a great pairing with the monos from Odyssey. Does anyone have experience with this type setup?

I don't specifically with Odyssey but like my other post mentioned, buy big power and current! I have LRS's and they're no joke. They love current and power. But those Khartago mono's should do just fine. Stratos would be even better!

mclev

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2020, 08:41 pm »
Khartago monos are a good choice for Maggies. I have the Maggie 3.3R with true ribbon. They present two challenges. First they are very hard to drive as any Maggie owner will tell you. You need a lot of current. Second, they are very sensitive to poor recordings and mastering. If the recording is a little bright or over compressed, the Maggies will sound harsh and thin. Klaus built my Khartago monos specifically to address these two problems. The first problem is completely solved. Plenty of current. No blowing the ribbon (I had done that 3 times previously). Very stable at the low impedance required. The second problem is 80% remedied by the Khartagos. Much more dimension and detail than I've ever heard without the overly brittle experience. I'm doubtful you could find any amp that could make this difference unless you want to spend at least $15K or more. I would certainly recommend a tube pre. I hear Klaus has a nice one. I'm running a Rogue 99 with some vintage tubes.

geerock

« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2020, 10:40 pm »
I run 1.7's with all in Kismet in Stratos monos after having a hell of a time using other amps getting eaten for breakfast by the Maggies.
Now the amps are in control.  I had Klaus build them for my Maggies.