LS-9's are completed

mlschifter

• http://www.av123.com
Re: LS-9's are completed
« Reply #20 on: 9 Aug 2007, 03:03 pm »
Wow Danny, they look super!  :thumb: Now, if only AV123 would get theirs released......

We are working very hard on that... amongst other issues...

:)

All the best...

mls

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #21 on: 9 Aug 2007, 04:16 pm »
I've emailed everyone back that has inquired. One mailbox was full.

I forgot to mention the specifics of the crossovers. The GR Research based LS-9's will feature all top quality Alpha Core air inductors, Sonicap caps, Mills and Lynks resistors. These will be wired point to point. Not on a circuit board. You have the option of adding Sonicap Platinums as bypass caps.

We are close to 3 firm commitments for the LS 9's. We will only be doing a maximum of 6 pairs at this time due to other commitments.

First come first serve.

Let's get rockin' !  :drums:

These speakers need to get out there and be heard!

Cheers

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #22 on: 9 Aug 2007, 04:36 pm »

Hey Mark,
I know it is no easy task and I sure hope that everything runs smoothly for you all. I'm sure you guys will get them released soon, I'm just excited(as are many others!!) and anxious, I'm about to pop I tell ya!! :bomb:

Best Regards,
John

TomS

« Reply #23 on: 9 Aug 2007, 05:23 pm »

Hey Mark,
I know it is no easy task and I sure hope that everything runs smoothly for you all. I'm sure you guys will get them released soon, I'm just excited(as are many others!!) and anxious, I'm about to pop I tell ya!! :bomb:

Best Regards,
John
Based on Sean's earlier comments, that reflect real world sourcing and manufacturing challenges, we may have almost 3 months before even the production crossover assemblies could be ready, so don't pop just yet  :o.  Playing that out, it makes Christmas ('07) seem iffy for those of us on the AV123 pre-buy program.  Mine are Piano Rosewood coming from the China plant (I think), so that's another variable to deal with.  It just all takes a lot of time and coordination, and patience with the process.   From the early reports, I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

I really do envy all of you having DGO build yours, now that Danny and Denny have them worked out, with the sweeter crossover parts to boot.  Thanks to these two guys for having an almost "ready now" option (with sweat, sawdust, and $$$$) for custom enclosure LS-9's!

Tom

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #24 on: 9 Aug 2007, 05:40 pm »
It'll certainly be nice to have some working examples out there in peoples systems( namely, mine  :green:). I can hardly wait to hear these.   :P

A number of the guys that have inquired are owner's of Danny's Alpha and Epiphany line arrays. And they seem to be real happy campers. So this is not a new foray for GR Research, but an important evolution.

Cheers

Danny Richie

« Reply #25 on: 9 Aug 2007, 05:43 pm »
For those ready for them now, I would also add that Denny is doing some special things with the enclosures. It involves some thicker material and some curve to the sides with an added layer and stuff. They should be exceptionally nice and true works of art.

For those on the AV123 waiting list, they will be well worth your wait, especially at the prices that Mark is giving these away for. If sold through stores like most really high end speakers these could easily be in the $20,000 range. You guys are getting a hell of a deal.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #26 on: 9 Aug 2007, 06:00 pm »
These speakers need to get out there and be heard!

Hmmm, if you need a place for consumers to hear them in the Northeast, you know my number :lol:

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #27 on: 10 Aug 2007, 11:21 pm »
Sorry guys, I haven't been able to answer each and every one of you, as I had to finish off some stuff to get out the door before the end of the week, and I will be away from the computer for most of the weekend.

There have been a number of inquiries today that I could not get to at all.

So I'll answer a couple of questions real quick here.

-Yes, veneers, stains, solid colors are all options that can be done.
-External crossovers are not a problem, bi-wiring will be standard.
-These can be easily configured for active crossovers.

-Yes, we can supply baffles for DIY'ers. Either veneered, painted, or raw.
-We will also offer the LS-6 at some point as well.
-We will only commit to 6 pairs at this point due to some other projects coming in the fall.

-I realize that our decision to offer this deal probably catches a number of people off guard, but those who commit with deposits will go first, no reservations.
- A 50% deposit will be required at start up, the balance during completion.
-Yes, we will accept a partial deposit as a commitment (but there will be terms to that)
-We don't know when the next run of LS-9's will be.

-Yes, we can ship overseas, but having never done so, I'm not sure what is all involved, and it will take me a while to figure all that out.
-We will only have the first pair here for a little while, so yes, you could arrange to come by for a listen. 
 -We will host an event here for any of our local TAAS member who want to come out, and we'll announce a date when the time approaches.

We will take pictures at somepoint during construction, and after completion and post them on AudioCircle.

Cheers

audionut101

« Reply #28 on: 11 Aug 2007, 02:58 am »
price?

alotaklipsch

« Reply #29 on: 11 Aug 2007, 04:36 pm »
DANNY, which do you think would be better, or to be more accurate, customized?  As you know, I have the piano rosewoods on order, but, am getting impatient.  I would also want the finest crossover available.

thanks in advance, you can email me if you like.

Steve

texasphile

LS-9's are completed...And I Have HEARD Them!
« Reply #30 on: 11 Aug 2007, 05:04 pm »
Hello folks,

I just got my computer back from the shop after it died back in April.  The first new motherboard I purchased never worked and I had to wait for two months to purchase a new one.  Too much money for a board that uses my now outdated AMD socket 939.  Anyways, last Saturday the 4th, I dropped by Danny's place for a listen.  These speakers had very few hours on them, but let me tell you that they are definitely worth the money.  I really like the (now retired) Alpha LS and (current) LS-6 Line Source speakers.  Each has very nice positives in their sound. 

The LS-9 speakers have those same Line Source strengths (dynamics galore!) and no glaring weaknesses.  The imaging was absolutely superb, awe inspiring dynamics, music emanating from well outside of the speakers' width, no noticeable distortion even at louder than normal listening levels.  As a matter of fact, Danny did crank up some Rush to serious party levels and I still could hear no distortion (of course those Mongo Dodd Amps didn't run out of oomph!).  All that you need is a decent sized room, which I unfortunately do not have.  In my house the room is only about 11 feet (3.35 meters) wide so no LS-9s for me...unless I move into a larger house.  I believe that Danny mentioned that they were the best that he has designed so far.  Having heard most of the speakers that he has developed over the last few years, I definitely agree. 

If you are purchasing the LS-6 speakers you are giving up some dynamics and a bit of stereo image width, but the 6 and the 9 both have the "same house-sound."  Besides the LS-6 can be cleaned without a ladder :)  If you can get a listen when one gets built, I think that you will be impressed.

Danny will be out of the office this coming week (beginning 13 August) so please be aware of that.

Enjoy your weekend,

Chris

Danny Richie

« Reply #31 on: 11 Aug 2007, 05:19 pm »
If you want a more specific customized (built for you) pair then Denny is your go to guy. He can build them for you any way you want them. Buying the kit does get you the higher quality parts and allows you the option of add Sonicap Platinum by-pass caps as well.

If you are ready for them now, then I would hit Denny up for them now. He is only going to do a run of 6 pairs this go around.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #32 on: 12 Aug 2007, 05:11 pm »
price?

Everyone has asked for something a little different, so each one will be custom. But basically this run of LS-9's will be under $6000.00. This will include most standard veneers, colours and satin finishes. We can also offer Piano finished baffles on this run, at a slight upcharge. Solid colours can be done as well, at an upcharge, We will probably not offer either of these 2 finish options in the future. We have included in that price the upgraded crossover parts, the added lining of the entire enclosure with NoRez damping material, thicker front and back baffles, as well as thicker sides. Heavy duty reuseable shipping crates are also included in this price.

I cannot accept calls on general inquiries any longer. I found myself come very close to losing my voice from non stop talking on the phone since the announcement of this introductory production run. I've tried to now give as much info as I think is needed to help one make the decision as to whether to jump on this offer or not. I don't want to get into selling someone on the LS-9's anymore. It's got to be something you are sure of, and I don't think that that is something that anyone who's done any investigating on what the LS-9's are about needs anything from me to help put them over the edge.  :wink:

We will be commencing on production this week, and want to remain focused on the customers that have committed. You can secure your spot with Danny at GR with a credit card, as I'm not set up as a merchant for credit cards. This will immediately assure your sequence. Again, first come first serve. We will confirm all details by phone at that point.

A number of inquiries have come in on the LS-6 as well. I have unfortunately not had the time to put together a firm quote on those, but will say that we are prepared to do one pair of those at this time. We will do the same super deal on the first and only set of those at this time. Anyone seriously interested in the LS-6, should PM me, and we'll set aside some time to discuss it. I would very much like to do a set of LS-6's alongside the LS-9's for comparisons sake.

I can't tell you all how excited I am to be part of the first run of the LS series speakers. I have no doubt that this will be somewhat of a landmark in recent 2 channel audio developments.

Now, back to work! Yes, even on a Sunday.... :duh:

Cheers
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2007, 05:43 pm by Daygloworange »

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #33 on: 14 Aug 2007, 12:36 am »
For those that can't get in on George's 6 pairs of LS9's, don't fret... we (Skiing Ninja) will be offering Network upgrades for LS6 and LS9.  Sonicaps, alpha core, mills, all point to point, etc... no problem.  We are also considering offering external networks among other things...

We will also offer pre-cut NoRez kits... everything cut and labeled with diagrams... easy install :)

Geroge, I figured you would not mind me posting here since your cabinets and networks will be such a limited item... hope this is OK...

If anyone has any questions, please ask!

Sean

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #34 on: 14 Aug 2007, 12:37 am »
For those that can't get in on George's 6 pairs of LS9's, don't fret... we (Skiing Ninja) will be offering Network upgrades for LS6 and LS9.  Sonicaps, alpha core, mills, all point to point, etc... no problem.  We are also considering offering external networks among other things...

We will also offer pre-cut NoRez kits... everything cut and labeled with diagrams... easy install :)

Geroge, I figured you would not mind me posting here since your cabinets and networks will be such a limited item... hope this is OK...

If anyone has any questions, please ask!

Sean

Sean,

Denny is the person building the LS-9's.

George

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #35 on: 14 Aug 2007, 12:56 am »
oops!  That is what I meant ;)  The handle 'Daygloworange' just screams 'George' to me :D

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #36 on: 14 Aug 2007, 02:11 am »
Ninja Master,

I want the whole works on my LS6 + LS9 just like what you did with my Minis. :)

Thanks,

World Leader Pretend

• Rosenow Sound Authority
« Reply #37 on: 14 Aug 2007, 03:44 am »
Sadly my client and I couldn't make shipping work for a pair of LS-9s, so I won't be able to hear them. 

I am still able to build the cabs if anyone is interested or couldn't make Denny's list.  While I don't have the ability to make curved cabs or all the extra things that Denny can, I can do the normal cabs easily.

While I usually finish my speakers in gloss black paint and steel, I can work with you on finish options.  My workshop has a professional paint booth and I have a nice spray-gun so we can get nice results. 

Pricing will be around $5300 USD, depending on the finish, plus real shipping costs.

Build time will also be fairly quick since I currently have no major projects lined up.  :) 

If anyone it interested please email me at runner (at) colinrosenow (dot) com   

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #38 on: 17 Aug 2007, 12:31 pm »
4 out of the 6 pairs of custom LS-9's have been spoken for. We have 6 pairs slated to be built. I might build the 6th pair out for myself. That potentially leaves only one pair left.

Don't let the last pair go by. You might kick yourself.  :banghead:

We still have the one pair of custom LS-6's open for now as well.

Cheers

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #39 on: 17 Aug 2007, 01:04 pm »
Hmmmm, I wonder who the lucky four are?? :scratch:

aa