TAS Magnepan .7 review

jaylevine

TAS Magnepan .7 review
« on: 25 Feb 2015, 08:33 pm »
Nice balanced review in TAS with actual useful information for a potential buyer. Not something I'm used to from TAS :)

Doublej

Re: TAS Magnepan .7 review
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2015, 02:06 am »

a.wayne

« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2015, 05:46 am »
TAS ........ :smoke:

Went to checkout Ms Mullings credentials, couldnt find any pics, :)

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2015, 12:05 pm »
It sounds like they're going to sell a ton of these.
Good review, too, thanks for posting that.

jaylevine

« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2015, 12:53 pm »
I read the review hoping that I could convince myself that the .7 would work even in my very small office....but I can't find even 12 inches of space away from a wall that would allow me to position the speakers properly in relation to the only listening spot.

So I will have to continue to use this room solely for headphones...which makes me wonder why Magnepan never entered the headphone market with their technology, now occupied by Aurze and HiFiMan?

Jay
HiFiMan HE-500  :D

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb 2015, 01:09 pm »
They screwed around with headphones forever but nothing ever made to market.
The Mini Maggies might be the ticket for your office.

jaylevine

« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2015, 01:19 pm »
As with all things Magenepan, the devil is in the details (see below). Given the requirements I doubt it would be any better solution for me.

Clearly I just need to keep working to convince my wife to abandon the only large room in our 130 year old house--our master bedroom Re: it is the only room in the house that has the proportions and unobstructed wall configuration to accommodate another set of 3.7s and decent electronics....

From a TAS review based on feedback from Magnepan regarding set-up:

"Requirements: To get the Mini-Maggie system to work well in whole-room applications, you’ll first need to address several basic equipment and room requirements. Specifically, you will need: 1) A good pair of speaker stands on which to place the Mini-Maggie satellites—ideally stands that will position the speakers at or near ear-level for seated listeners; 2) a powerful, high-quality amplifier (note that the power requirements for the system tend, as a rule, to increase for whole-room applications); 3) a reasonably small and appropriately shaped small room (rooms in the range of 120–200 square feet); 4) in almost cases, you will need to add a second DWM mid/bass module ($795) to the system in order to get adequate bass performance and optimal overall tonal balance.

It is important to understand that the DWM module normally benefits from a significant amount of bass reinforcement when place in the footwell of a typical desk. The under-desk placement also helps roll-off some of the midrange output of the DWM—a factor Magnepan designers have taken into account when voicing their desktop system. When you move the DWM out into an open room, however, you typically encounter two problems: Bass reinforcement falls off significantly, while effective midrange output increases—making the system sound midrange forward and somewhat bass-shy. The best method I’ve found to combat these problems is to add a second DWM module"

Davey

« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2015, 02:57 pm »
Went to checkout Ms Mullings credentials, couldnt find any pics, :)

Are the snide comments necessary?
I thought the "review" was very "boiler-plate" with no significant information, but I don't think it had anything to do with the reviewers gender.  :)
If you have something objective and constructive to offer, please do so.

Dave.