Pioneer UDP-LX500 CD Player

Mike6743

Re: Pioneer UDP-LX500 CD Player
« Reply #20 on: 1 Jul 2019, 06:01 pm »
Does anyone know the fuse value of the LX500? I'm considering getting a SR Blue for it. The other SR Blue's I have used in other equipment greatly reduced the noise floor and increased low level background details.

eichlerera1

« Reply #21 on: 2 Jul 2019, 04:58 am »
Does anyone know the fuse value of the LX500? I'm considering getting a SR Blue for it. The other SR Blue's I have used in other equipment greatly reduced the noise floor and increased low level background details.

According to the enclosed info sheet, the fuse is a T3, 15 amp, 250 volt, 5x20mm (small).
Never had considered "upgrading" any fuse, but since I haven't tried it, I can't knock it.
If you do, let us know if it makes a difference.

rbbert

« Reply #22 on: 2 Jul 2019, 12:37 pm »
Re: the 6922/6DJ8/7308 family of tubes, one must realize that no current production tubes are produced using the manufacturing techniques and materials of the better NOS tubes (true for many tube types, unfortunately).  So even though many of the NOS tubes appear expensive, the improvement in sound quality over a current production tube is substantial.  Here are links to a couple of comparisons I have found

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/6922-tube-review-17-top-6922-6n23p-e88cc-cca-7308-e188cc-tubes.761078/

https://www.tubemuseum.org/SearchResults.asp?Cat=36

eichlerera1

« Reply #23 on: 2 Jul 2019, 02:23 pm »
Re: the 6922/6DJ8/7308 family of tubes, one must realize that no current production tubes are produced using the manufacturing techniques and materials of the better NOS tubes (true for many tube types, unfortunately).  So even though many of the NOS tubes appear expensive, the improvement in sound quality over a current production tube is substantial.  Here are links to a couple of comparisons I have found

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/6922-tube-review-17-top-6922-6n23p-e88cc-cca-7308-e188cc-tubes.761078/

https://www.tubemuseum.org/SearchResults.asp?Cat=36

Then there's this olde classic chestnut...
https://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html#6DJ8

jtsnead

« Reply #24 on: 18 Sep 2019, 01:37 pm »
I noticed that the LX500 has a connector on the back labeled Zero signal which is a RCA connector that your supposed to connect to an av receiver to I think help with grounding, did anyone ever try this?

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #25 on: 14 Oct 2019, 12:42 am »
Hi everyone,
Waiting for my LX500 to arrive to me and then will ship it out to Modwright. Very excited. Can you all tell me what I can expect with the Mod and any particular recommendations? Already contacted Kristen regarding the mod. I thought I read that there was also the possibility to do xlr balanced, is this possible and what would be the difference between this and just rca out?
Gonna try to speak to Dan this week. Thanks everyone!

eichlerera1

« Reply #26 on: 14 Oct 2019, 04:23 am »
Hi everyone,
Waiting for my LX500 to arrive to me and then will ship it out to Modwright. Very excited. Can you all tell me what I can expect with the Mod and any particular recommendations? Already contacted Kristen regarding the mod. I thought I read that there was also the possibility to do xlr balanced, is this possible and what would be the difference between this and just rca out?
Gonna try to speak to Dan this week. Thanks everyone!

Hell, I've already given you a boatload of suggestions.
Definitely opt for the AUDIO MAGIC PULSE GEN ZX UPGRADE.
And (eventually) get yourself some NOS tubes!
Use silicon O-Rings and brass hex nuts to dampen tube vibrations.
I see no reason to not use the RCA outputs.

Just mass load your unit (lead weights on top of unit) and experiment with different types of footers.
I use a combination of brass cones and sorbothane.

What pre amp are you using?

Good luck.

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #27 on: 14 Oct 2019, 01:50 pm »
Thanks Paul,
I will definitely try your tips. Work in Progress here. Currently have Krell Digital Vanguard, RME-ADI-2 DAC, Acoustic Signature Triple X, SPL Phonos,  running into my older Vandersteen 2 CEs. Just got a SPL Perfomer 800 power amp and gonna try to find a tube pre to match(If you have any suggestions). Also very close to buying the new Spatial M3 Sapphires to replace the Vandys, Seems like a hoge-poge but I got a lot of this gear as hand me downs and trying to make it all sync. Appreciate any input as I am new to this tube stuff.
Thanks Again!
Rene

eichlerera1

« Reply #28 on: 14 Oct 2019, 03:38 pm »
Thanks Paul,
I will definitely try your tips. Work in Progress here. Currently have Krell Digital Vanguard, RME-ADI-2 DAC, Acoustic Signature Triple X, SPL Phonos,  running into my older Vandersteen 2 CEs. Just got a SPL Perfomer 800 power amp and gonna try to find a tube pre to match(If you have any suggestions). Also very close to buying the new Spatial M3 Sapphires to replace the Vandys, Seems like a hoge-poge but I got a lot of this gear as hand me downs and trying to make it all sync. Appreciate any input as I am new to this tube stuff.
Thanks Again!
Rene

I use the Modwright SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition as my preamp.
I highly recommend it!
You can also tube roll with this unit with beneficial results..

jtsnead

« Reply #29 on: 16 Oct 2019, 08:10 pm »
I use my MW LX500 with a PS Audio BHK Preamp which is a great combo

deadhead

« Reply #30 on: 16 Oct 2019, 08:41 pm »
Was discussing tube tweaks with Andy Bouwman and the subject of tube dampening was broached.
I told him I had good success with high temp, silicon O-Rings.
He suggested brass washers fitted over the top of the tube and secured with Elmer's Glue.

I took a couple of tubes to my local ACE Hardware to see what would fit using brass fittings/washers/nuts.
Really like using brass plumber's hex-nuts in the 1/2" to 5/8" size.
Most 9-pin, small signal tubes will work quite nicely with the 5/8" nut.
My Amperex 6922 tube is a bit too skinny for the 5/8" nut and too fat for the 1/2" nut.
The solution was to take a metal file and slowly reduce the inside of the nut.
Got to a point where it fit snugly over the top and was able to use the remaining grooves to turn the nut
ever so slightly onto the tube. (Effectively screwing the nut onto the tube)

The effect of this tweak was more resolution of low level details and an increased vividness to the sound.

A cheap tweak well worth investigating if I were you!

Paul Galli

Paul,

Can you snap a quick picture of what this tweak looks like?  I'm trying to imagine how that hex nut sits on the tube but can't.  Thanks.  Jeff Mazen

eichlerera1

« Reply #31 on: 17 Oct 2019, 04:58 am »
Paul,

Can you snap a quick picture of what this tweak looks like?  I'm trying to imagine how that hex nut sits on the tube but can't.  Thanks.  Jeff Mazen

Just imagine that the tube is a bolt and the hex nut screws around it (ever so slightly)

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #32 on: 14 Nov 2019, 10:38 pm »
Hi Everyone,
Received my LX500 back from Dan. I am so excited about it. I brought into school to show my students. This is an amazing mod and I am just beginning to hear what this can do. Playing some MoFi Steely Dan and Pink Floyd and haven’t even gotten to SACDs yet. Ordered my first SRV Texas Flood. Can’t wait! I have to say I am so very impressed with Modwright and the quality of the workmanship! When I upgrade my other components Modwright will definitely be a consideration. Thanks Dan
René

modwright

« Reply #33 on: 15 Nov 2019, 01:06 am »
Thank you Audiosaurusrex and thanks for sharing with your students! The music and the equipment are things they have not heard I am sure.

Enjoy and be well!

Dan

SinnerSaint

« Reply #34 on: 2 Jun 2021, 06:14 pm »
Congratulations to all that got their units before production stop & prices skyrocketed.
Any updates on performance & tweeks?
Enjoy.