Emerald XL

griller

Re: Emerald XL
« Reply #20 on: 12 Dec 2007, 02:35 pm »
DR could you tell us the settings you'r using on the sub? Sure, every room is different, but I'd be interested in what is working out best for you compared to what I've used,

DR

• The Man
« Reply #21 on: 13 Dec 2007, 11:59 pm »
Hi griller,

I tell you, what I landed on so far might seem a bit odd. The sub is at '0' phase shift, stock roll off and somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 volume. I do not have the cross over's in the system and have the sub crossed over at approximately 70 hz. This has so far enabled me to hear the Emeralds full out with the sub only helping out with very low notes and overtones.

Of course it is tempting to crank it and listen to the sub once in a while because it is cool. However, this setup seems to work at my volume levels (relatively low) and when I switch between different types of recordings or bump the volume I don't have to adjust it.

I would be interested in your experiences as well.

DR 

DR

• The Man
« Reply #22 on: 14 Dec 2007, 01:48 am »
griller,

One thing I forgot to mention is that I am one of those that does not buy the "bass is nondirectional" thing. It sure as heck is, except maybe sometimes way down in the 30's or lower. I need it like a hole in the head but I am thinking of adding another Force XL. Not for quantity but quality and balance. If Mike wanted to weigh in on this I would appreciate it. :D

DR

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #23 on: 14 Dec 2007, 02:08 pm »
griller,

One thing I forgot to mention is that I am one of those that does not buy the "bass is nondirectional" thing. It sure as heck is, except maybe sometimes way down in the 30's or lower. I need it like a hole in the head but I am thinking of adding another Force XL. Not for quantity but quality and balance. If Mike wanted to weigh in on this I would appreciate it. :D

DR

I've always felt that stereo subs are the "Gold Standard" for two-channel use. While not double the pleasure of a single sub, the improvements in room loading, overall response smoothness, sense of space and just plain musical reality are most definitely worth it for a serious listener. Dave, I say go for it and you'll soon be nodding your head in enjoyment.  :D

griller

« Reply #24 on: 18 Dec 2007, 08:55 pm »
DR, for months now I've been using my 5 Ems and Force in and HT system using the stock 80Hz crossover in the receiver. I have the Force crossovers set just a bit above that. When I was fooling around with a 2.1 setup my settings were pretty similar to yours. I think I had the sub phase about 1/2 way, this was definitely placement dependent. Had the crossovers around 70 and did not have any filters on the Emeralds.  Quite a few folks gave that incredible look as they tried to figure out how such little speakers could do such bass  :lol:  I had a coworker who was a pretty arrogant audiophile with big buck B&W system at home. He told me that it was not possible to have a sub well integrated with small speakers.  I had him over, the sub was more or less hidden, and he didn't know it was on until I went over and turned it off!  Some folks have more money than brains.  :duh:

DR

• The Man
« Reply #25 on: 19 Dec 2007, 12:15 am »
griller,

I know what you mean. Besides my Vandersteen's (sorry Mike but they still are the best full size speaker for the money out there) I have B&W Nautilus 805's that the Emerald's replaced. Musically, there is no comparison. The sound - properly balanced sound - of the ACI is a revelation.

When I get the time and feel I have the proper amount if listening tiime in I still intend to do a full review. Catch my comment on your Sapphire thread and you will see I am throwing myself for a loop.

:lol:

DR

DR

• The Man
« Reply #26 on: 27 Dec 2007, 12:26 am »
This will be continued on a new thread shortly about the Sapphire XL Force XL combination.

aa