Steely Dan

Marbles

Steely Dan
« on: 5 Jun 2003, 09:12 pm »
Interesting blurb (from Red Trumpet) about SD's new release, especially at the end! (bolding and enlarging are mine)

Steely Dan: Everything Must Go (available on DVD-Audio and a limited CD/DVD)
Steely Dan cast themselves onto the soundtrack of the '70s with radio hits such as "Reeling in the Years," "Rikki Don't Lose That Number," "Peg," and "Hey Nineteen," culled from their seven platinum albums issued between 1972 and 1980 (including 1977's groundbreaking Aja). Both their sound and their fame survived the '80s, despite Becker and Fagen's only occasional surfacing for a solo project. They reunited as Steely Dan in the early '90s, touring successfully throughout the decade and releasing a live album in 1995 (Alive in America).

Everything Must Go is Walter Becker and Donald Fagen's first release since 2000, when their Two Against Nature -- the duo's first studio release in 20 years -- garnered multiple Grammy awards, including "Album of the Year".

Listeners anticipating Steely Dan's patented amalgam of sonic perfection, sinuous musicality, and subversive storytelling will not be disappointed by the new release, whose musical allusions range from Pharaoh Sanders to Tommy James, and whose literary echoes bound from William Gibson to Burmashave.

Everything Must Go took roughly a year to record -- a veritable wind sprint given Becker and Fagen's legendary meticulousness in the studio. "We went for live tracking this time and got great, in-the-pocket tracks," says Becker. Donald Fagen adds "It's mad, it's wiggy, I love it." Becker's solo singing on one tune marks the first such credit for him in Steely Dan's studio oeuvre.

Engineering were Elliot Scheiner, Dave Russell, Roger Nichols -- all of whom received Best Engineering Grammys for Two Against Nature -- along with newcomer T.J. Doherty. Superstar tracking and mixing engineer Elliot Scheiner comments on the process, saying "We did a few things differently -- including tracking and mixing in analog instead of digital. That contributed to giving this album a really rich and satisfying sound."

MaxCast

Steely Dan
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2003, 09:24 pm »
You sure are bold when you're enlarged!
 :lol:

Tonto Yoder

Steely Dan
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2003, 10:03 pm »
The idea of a BOLD and enlargedSteely Dan being "really rich and satisfying" is pretty funny if you realize the source of their name--it's a dildo/vibrator from William S. Burroughs "Naked Lunch."

nature boy

Steely Dan
« Reply #3 on: 5 Jun 2003, 10:56 pm »
Marbles,

Any idea if they are going to release this on vinyl? Their old original releases on vinyl are wonderful.  Also be curious to find out if anyone has listened to the new Grateful Dead Rhino releases on vinyl too.

NB

Marbles

Steely Dan
« Reply #4 on: 5 Jun 2003, 11:18 pm »
NB,

Steely Dan: Everything Must Go (available on DVD-Audio and a limited CD/DVD)

That's all I know.

I do have both the DVD-V and DVD-A of Two Against Nature and I will be getting the DVD-V of EMG.

When given a choice between DVD-V's and DVD-A's, to ME the DVD-V's sound as good and are more enjoyable.  As always, YMMV

ABEX

Steely Dan
« Reply #5 on: 5 Jun 2003, 11:30 pm »
Marbles:
  I have Steely Dans Greatest which is an Import  2CD Set.Do you want me to send it along with the other stuff? I think it is some of the best Remasterd works I have. :drums:  

I have most of Steely Dans LP's from the 70's and I will say one thing their's were some of the best studio recordings ever made.

Later!

Marbles

Steely Dan
« Reply #6 on: 5 Jun 2003, 11:34 pm »
ABEX,

I would love for you to  :thumb:

Thanks!!

Hell if you want, send the LP's too  :P

ABEX

Steely Dan
« Reply #7 on: 5 Jun 2003, 11:39 pm »
No such luck on the LP's Bro! :lol: But will pass a copy of the Steely Dan CD's along!

Have been doing recordings for 4 others and will be sending them out possibly tomarrow!  8)

rosconey

Steely Dan
« Reply #8 on: 5 Jun 2003, 11:52 pm »
:o abex you might want to edit your post before a record company legal team shows up at your door.
maybe develop slang words or something to hide what your doing :nono:

was your first internet moniker napster :?: lol

ABEX

Steely Dan
« Reply #9 on: 6 Jun 2003, 12:01 am »
Well if they want to pay the expense from Europe to prosecute maybe they can come over to get me and send me over there .At least I would have Air expenses paid for. I'd opt to make my own room accommodations!

Wait it is an Aussie Import, hey give them a call!
 :lol:

nature boy

Steely Dan
« Reply #10 on: 6 Jun 2003, 12:05 am »
Here is a link to a review of the DVD-A.  

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/reviews/review.asp?reviewnumber=13143569

Marbles, there will be a European release of vinyl, so some speciality online retailers may order a few copies.  It appears from the review and Steely Dan website (see link below) that a lot of the tracks were recorded and mixed with analogue equipment, so if the vinyl is well pressed should be a great listening experience.

http://www.steelydan.com/

NB

Marbles

Steely Dan
« Reply #11 on: 6 Jun 2003, 01:13 am »
Cool, Thanks, that's great info.