2012 Free Summer concerts.

mjosef

2012 Free Summer concerts.
« on: 12 Jun 2012, 10:41 pm »
The free concerts at Prospect Park Bandshell kicked off last Saturday with AfroCubism / Alsarah & The Nubatones, featuring music from Mali/Cuba and the Sudan.

Next up:
Laura Marling
June 14, 2012
7:00 PM-10:00 PM

In her native England, singer-songwriter Laura Marling, who just turned 21 in February, has often been described as an old soul, wise beyond her years. Her work is indeed preternaturally mature in its worldview and self-assured in its execution, but it’s equally informed by a youthful sort of fearlessness. On A Creature I Don’t Know, Marling is forthright about her emotions, frank about her desires, and she’s not above having a bit of fun before the going gets too rocky. For example, the album’s final track, "All My Rage," has a purposely misleading title: it’s an exorcism, a celebration, dancing away accumulated trouble on the disc’s liveliest arrangement, a disarmingly upbeat climax to an engrossingly candid journey.
http://www.bricartsmedia.org/events/performing-arts/laura-marling

Friday evening its jazz nite. June 15, 2012
8:00 PM
Geri Allen & Carrie Mae Weems: Slow Fade To Black
With ESPERANZA SPALDING / TERRI LYNE CARRINGTON / LIZZ WRIGHT / PATRICE RUSHEN AND MORE!

The great pianist GERI ALLEN and the world-renowned photographer and video artist CARRIE MAE WEEMS team up for this special world premiere commission. SLOW FADE TO BLACK combines Weems’ arresting projections with an astonishing night of music featuring Allen’s new trio with fellow jazz giants ESPERANZA SPALDING and TERRI LYNE CARRINGTON, her regular group Timeline, LIZZ WRIGHT, PATRICE RUSHEN, the Howard University vocal group AFRO BLUE, the tap dancer MAURICE CHESTNUT, and many surprises. Weems, who has a major three-decade retrospective coming to the Guggenheim Museum in the fall of 2013, explores issues of gender, race, and identity in her work. These themes inform Slow Fade to Black, in which live performance and video will comingle on stage and screen in unimagined ways.
http://www.bricartsmedia.org/events/performing-arts/geri-allen-carrie-mae-weems-slow-fade-to-black

mjosef

Re: 2012 Free Summer concerts.
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2012, 03:22 am »
WHEN: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 7:30 PM to unspecified

ARTIST/EVENT: Orpheus Chamber Orchestra - Opening Concert 2012 size

WHERE: Naumburg Bandshell in Central Park, Mid Park & 72nd Street (MANHATTAN)

GENRE: European Classical

DESCRIPTION: Free classical music, a service in harmony with our community. Our 107th year of Free Concerts. No tickets issued. 700 seats provided on a first come first serve basis. Benches around Concert Ground also available. No rain dates, No rain location.

I should be there...its free... :lol:

Occam

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2012, 04:13 am »
AfroCubism / Alsarah & The Nubatones was a great concert.
But this Saturday's -

the ever great Balkan Beat Box

The Brooklyn based Nation Beat, Brazilian with a New Orleans flair that gives Margareth Menezes a run. They had 2 amazing percussionists from Bahai as special guests. But the musicians were all amazing, for all three bands.

Chico Trujillo, a Chilean stadium band. Strange as all get out. I didn't understand a thing they said or sang. Regardless, wonderful musicians.

was 2 x a hoot and a half.

This week, Keb Mo and Natalia Zuckerman.

here is the complete schedule -
http://www.prospectpark.org/calendar/event/celebrate-brooklyn-2012

A big plus for the Prospect Park Bandshell Concerts is their sound system, hanging curved line source arrays from SLS Audio. The best amplified concert sound system I've ever heard. They also provide the sound at The Blue Note.

murf

• Friends don't let friends apex early
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2012, 08:11 pm »
Hello Audio Experts!
This year's Prospect Park concert schedule is very good.  Even if you have never heard of the musicians, chances are they are tops in their genre and well worth the listen.  A little picnic dinner with some wine disguised in a seltzer bottle (or 'other' relaxant for the Jimmy Cliff concert), it's even better than staying home to watch the Mets or Yankees!  Sometimes there are a few too many rug rats, but hey, that's Park Slope now.
Keb Mo this Friday, Mission of Burma in August.
I walk there with my mongrel, Little Bear.  Last year I think my favorite was the Texas Tornadoes. 

Murf

ltr317

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2012, 09:18 pm »
Hello Audio Experts!
This year's Prospect Park concert schedule is very good.  Even if you have never heard of the musicians, chances are they are tops in their genre and well worth the listen.  A little picnic dinner with some wine disguised in a seltzer bottle (or 'other' relaxant for the Jimmy Cliff concert), it's even better than staying home to watch the Mets or Yankees!  Sometimes there are a few too many rug rats, but hey, that's Park Slope now.
Keb Mo this Friday, Mission of Burma in August.
I walk there with my mongrel, Little Bear.  Last year I think my favorite was the Texas Tornadoes. 

Murf

Actually I'm a little disappointed with this year's lineup, compared to the past four summers.  I'll be attending the Keb Mo concert this Friday with some other AC members.  Went to the Laura Marling concert last week and it was actually chilly, but this Friday will feel like an oven.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2012, 04:31 am »
More free NYC music.... 8)

River To River...

And more.....free concerts in the parks...

mjosef

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2012, 02:42 pm »
This looks interesting...

WHEN: Sunday, June 24, 2012, 7:30 PM to unspecified

ARTIST/EVENT: Sundays at St Paul's size

WHERE: St Paul's Chapel, 209 Broadway at Fulton street (MANHATTAN) size

Event No: 457

GENRE: Southeast Asia

DESCRIPTION: Manado, Manila and Manhattan Choral Spice from Indonesia by Manado State University Choir with Hidden Truths: Prayer for a Forgotten World by Electric Kulintang (Susie Ibarra and Roberto Rodriguez) On a very special double bill, River To River Festival explores the intersection of traditional and contemporary music through a Southeast Asian lens. The Manado State University Choir redefines choral and traditional music by creating cross-cultural and time-sensitive bridges. Traditional songs are transformed from simple melodies into lush, complex harmonies; traditional gestures form the basis for contemporary choreography, and Indonesian music from its many islands are collaged with Arab, African, and Western classical music. Led by an Indian conductor with a global orientation, MSUC re-imagines choral music as a contemporary convergence of cultures expressed in drama, dance and song.

ltr317

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jun 2012, 04:00 pm »

Keb' Mo' last night at Brooklyn's Prospect Park in the rain. 

Martin - You missed seeing Peggy by a few minutes. 

aragon63

• Dorian, Lydian, Phrygian,Jazz Minor
« Reply #8 on: 23 Jun 2012, 04:34 pm »
On July 5 Creedence Clearwater Revisited will play at Stamford Columbus Park  ( Alive @Five free concert series) & than on Aug. 2 Foreigner will jam as well .

Also, on July 11 John Pizzarelli coming to town & on July 25 Spyro Gyra ( free jazz summer Stamford downtown concerts ). It will be lots of fun & great music !

mjosef

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jun 2012, 10:15 pm »
Tonight...
CELEBRATE BROOKLYN! @ Prospect Park Bandshell
June 29, 2012
7:30 PM

Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue
With THE BROOKLYN STEPPERS / DAYNA KURTZ
http://www.bricartsmedia.org/events/trombone-shorty-orleans-avenue

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #10 on: 30 Jun 2012, 03:29 am »
More free NYC music.... 8)

River To River...

And more.....free concerts in the parks...

How could you leave out NY Phil, coming up sooooooooooooon.  http://gonyc.about.com/od/summer/a/philharmonic.htm

mjosef

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jun 2012, 03:28 pm »
Today, Saturday...

June 30, 2012

Angelique Kidjo's Women Waging Peace
With SPECIAL GUESTS LAURIE ANDERSON / SIBONGILE KHUMALO / SOMI
http://www.bricartsmedia.org/events/angelique-kidjo-s-women-waging-peace

lonewolfny42

« Reply #12 on: 1 Jul 2012, 10:45 pm »

Wednesday, July 11, 2012....6 - 9:30pm ...with Quinn Sullivan and John Mayall.... 8)

Thursday, July 12, 2012 .. 6 - 9:30pm ...with Charles Bradley and His Extraordinaires and He's My Brother She's My Sister

mjosef

« Reply #13 on: 7 Jul 2012, 01:52 am »
Shykes...supposed to be 100 degrees tomorrow, Saturday.  :thankyou:  And I was planning to attend this concert:
Souad Massi / Simon Shaheen

July 7, 2012
http://www.bricartsmedia.org/events/souad-massi-simon-shaheen

The outspoken Algerian songbird SOUAD MASSI is one of the most original and captivating voices to come out of North Africa in a generation, with a stylistic range that runs the gamut from Western folk, rock, and country to flamenco, Arab street pop, and the chaabi music of her home.

NYC-based Palestinian oud and violin wizard SIMON SHAHEEN, “one of the definitive interpreters of Arab culture in the West.”(Daily News) Shaheen is one of the most significant Arab musicians, performers, and composers of his generation. His work incorporates and reflects a legacy of Arabic music, while it forges ahead to new frontiers, embracing many different styles in the process.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #14 on: 12 Jul 2012, 05:03 am »
Today....July 12th - 7:00pm  at Rockefeller Park.....one of the most influential names in R&B and funk music...
George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic..

ptmconsulting

« Reply #15 on: 12 Jul 2012, 12:34 pm »
We were handed business cards at the free America concert on LI Tues night for a website that has links to all the schedules for free concerts in and around NYC. I personally don't know much about it, and the website seems a little sparse, but there is a mailing list that probably alerts you to upcoming free shows.

www.FreeConcertsNYC.com

Enjoy