TT Project - Garrard Type A Mk II Meets Marantz 6110 Tonearm

knotscott

• Sterling Acoustic speakers, Dyna/VTA ST70 bi-amped
I didn't know whether to post this in vintage gear, analog, or cheap and cheerful, because it's all three.  I voted cheerful because the project made me happy!  :thumb:

This started out as my favorite uncle's much loved Garrard record changer.  My aunt passed it on to me last winter.  It worked, but needed a lot of help.  Once I looked under the hood, I concluded that it had more moving parts than the space shuttle, and I stood zero chance of ever making it work with it's original functions.  Add the fact that the tonearm was essentially an I-beam, and I made the decision to strip the automation, upgrade the tonearm, and improve the sound quality.  While I was at it I built a custom cherry/curly maple plinth, brushed up the platter, painted the tray, added an acrylic mat, and mounted a decent LP Gear Vivid Line stylus to an AT-3600L cart.  I kept the original motor and rim drive system.  Once I dialed it in, it sounds pretty darn good to me.  I've been having a blast playing oldies from his era on it, but it does just fine with modern recordings too.  Very enjoyable and satisfying first TT project. 

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: TT Project - Garrard Type A Mk II Meets Marantz 6110 Tonearm
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2020, 11:48 pm »
That is a real beauty!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: TT Project - Garrard Type A Mk II Meets Marantz 6110 Tonearm
« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2020, 11:58 pm »
Nice restoration work all around. Beautiful woodwork.  :thumb: