Amplifier for X5

abomwell

Amplifier for X5
« on: 9 Aug 2021, 04:18 pm »
While eagerly awaiting and preparing for the arrival of my X5's which, according to Clayton should be another couple weeks, I've been buying "stuff". Since I have active speakers with built-in amps I need an amplifier for the X5's. To give them the best chance I purchased three amps, one or two of which I'll keep and sell the other(s). If anyone has experience with any of these powering X5's or X3's I'd appreciate your thoughts:
LTA ZOTL10 Mk II; Bob Carver Crimson 275, and First Watt J2. The J2 is back ordered for 10 weeks so it will arrive in time to warm up my room on Oct. LOL.  As I live in Tucson I may only be able to use it during the winter months. Gosh...I hope like the speakers after all this :).

Al

TomS

Re: Amplifier for X5
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2021, 05:39 pm »
I didn't have any of those, but they are great choices. I DID try five or six different amps, both highly regarded tube (Sachs, LTA) and SS, some of which were recommended by Clayton. I never would have guessed the amp I eventually chose would top them all (for my taste!), until I read a long review by Mike Garner at Tweek Geek of the Modwright KWH 225i Hybrid with the X3's. I decided to give it a shot and am so glad I did. There is no logical explanation in terms of power output, etc. but they just work well together, probably running all in class A. A close second was the Cherry Amp King/Golden DTM, again a very high powered amp. Others have had great luck with low power options, which is the logical choice on paper and makes perfect sense. A good friend with X3's is enjoying them with his Prima Luna, which is somewhere in the middle. Lots of great options and the X3's will show you the differences easily, so pick what you like.

sunnydaze

« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2021, 05:56 pm »
Nice amp collection you got there!    :thumb:

I think I'd be happy with any of them.    8)

Delta77

« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug 2021, 06:05 pm »
Nice amp collection you got there!    :thumb:

I think I'd be happy with any of them.    8)

Yeah, I agree.. Nice amps..
I don't think you can go wrong with those amps on any Spatial speakers..

Question ! Does the M5 has a subwoofer amp for the bottom woofer, and if so the amps mentioned above would be for the Mid & Tweeter only ?

Or are you bypassing the built in sub amp, and Tri-amping the M5's.???

Good luck BURT..

abomwell

« Reply #4 on: 9 Aug 2021, 06:13 pm »
The amps I mentioned would only power the mid and tweeter drivers on the X5's.

Al

abomwell

« Reply #5 on: 9 Aug 2021, 06:43 pm »
Thanks for the comments!

For 24/7 break-in I'll use my Crown XLS 1502 class D amp. No sense wasting tube time on that.

Al

sjsfiveo

« Reply #6 on: 9 Aug 2021, 07:20 pm »
I had a Audio Research 75Se with my X5's and found it magical, you have some great amps to play with. The X5's need A LOTS of breaking in so don't expect a lot right out of the box. Great choice of speakers.

geerock

« Reply #7 on: 9 Aug 2021, 08:08 pm »
Thanks for the comments!

For 24/7 break-in I'll use my Crown XLS 1502 class D amp. No sense wasting tube time on that.

Al
Al
Both the LTA and Carver have a circuit that runs the tubes very cool and at about 1/3 power of other tube amps.  You can put your hand on the power tubes and not get burned.  Carver even warranties the tubes for 5 years but have estimates of tube life to be 20k hours.  LTA predicts up to 25k hours.  No need to worry about hours or heating up your room.  As for the sound I've had both the Carver and LTA 10 fronted by a Don Sachs tubed pre and liked them both.  I tried several other SS amps also but preferred tubes.  I finally had the chance to go with a gently used LTA 40 reference amp with all the factory mods and went with that.  That's my keeper.  Sweet el34 ppwer tubes and other step ups from the LTA 10 made this the match I was looking for.  Huge 3D image and soundstage.  Dead quiet at idle.  A blend of clarity of SS and the beauty of sound of el34 tubes that I've never heard before.  X5'S really like tubes... at least according to my ears.  Best of luck choosing.

geerock

minatophase3

« Reply #9 on: 9 Aug 2021, 08:48 pm »
I didn't have any of those, but they are great choices. I DID try five or six different amps, both highly regarded tube (Sachs, LTA) and SS, some of which were recommended by Clayton. I never would have guessed the amp I eventually chose would top them all (for my taste!), until I read a long review by Mike Garner at Tweek Geek of the Modwright KWH 225i Hybrid with the X3's. I decided to give it a shot and am so glad I did. There is no logical explanation in terms of power output, etc. but they just work well together, probably running all in class A. A close second was the Cherry Amp King/Golden DTM, again a very high powered amp. Others have had great luck with low power options, which is the logical choice on paper and makes perfect sense. A good friend with X3's is enjoying them with his Prima Luna, which is somewhere in the middle. Lots of great options and the X3's will show you the differences easily, so pick what you like.
Glad to hear you are happy with the X3's with your Modwright 225i.  I am considering the X5's and have a Modwright KWA 150SE and SWL 9.0SE tube preamp.  Sounds like they would make a great pairing with the X5's.

abomwell

« Reply #10 on: 9 Aug 2021, 09:12 pm »
I see there is a Modwright KWA100 SE on Audiogon under auction now. They stopped making that model but it might be a nice amp for the Spatials. The KWA150 see would be great but costs $9K.

Al

minatophase3

« Reply #11 on: 9 Aug 2021, 09:14 pm »
I see there is a Modwright KWA100 SE on Audiogon under auction now. They stopped making that model but it might be a nice amp for the Spatials. The KWA150 see would be great but costs $9K.

Al
You can get the 150SE's used for quite a bit less.  I have heard really good things about the KWA100 as well. 

Randy

« Reply #12 on: 9 Aug 2021, 09:39 pm »
Not sexy or glamorous, so "audiophiles" aren't much interested.  Just provides superb sound. Pretty simple.  NAD C-298

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 10 Aug 2021, 12:18 pm »
No idea what it's like but I'd give the CA a look as the cost to value is very high.

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/en/products/hi-fi/cx-series-2/cxa81

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvjdfZa_0wE

franSSS

« Reply #14 on: 10 Aug 2021, 05:06 pm »
Al
Both the LTA and Carver have a circuit that runs the tubes very cool and at about 1/3 power of other tube amps.  You can put your hand on the power tubes and not get burned.  Carver even warranties the tubes for 5 years but have estimates of tube life to be 20k hours.  LTA predicts up to 25k hours.  No need to worry about hours or heating up your room.  As for the sound I've had both the Carver and LTA 10 fronted by a Don Sachs tubed pre and liked them both.  I tried several other SS amps also but preferred tubes.  I finally had the chance to go with a gently used LTA 40 reference amp with all the factory mods and went with that.  That's my keeper.  Sweet el34 ppwer tubes and other step ups from the LTA 10 made this the match I was looking for.  Huge 3D image and soundstage.  Dead quiet at idle.  A blend of clarity of SS and the beauty of sound of el34 tubes that I've never heard before.  X5'S really like tubes... at least according to my ears.  Best of luck choosing.

Nice feedback.

franSSS

« Reply #15 on: 10 Aug 2021, 05:08 pm »
While eagerly awaiting and preparing for the arrival of my X5's which, according to Clayton should be another couple weeks, I've been buying "stuff". Since I have active speakers with built-in amps I need an amplifier for the X5's. To give them the best chance I purchased three amps, one or two of which I'll keep and sell the other(s). If anyone has experience with any of these powering X5's or X3's I'd appreciate your thoughts:
LTA ZOTL10 Mk II; Bob Carver Crimson 275, and First Watt J2. The J2 is back ordered for 10 weeks so it will arrive in time to warm up my room on Oct. LOL.  As I live in Tucson I may only be able to use it during the winter months. Gosh...I hope like the speakers after all this :).

Al

I am warming up the pot for the popcorn in the meantime. Looking forward to a details feedback and review as you get your system going.  :popcorn:  Nice gear all in all. Should be a very nice ab test.

abomwell

« Reply #16 on: 10 Aug 2021, 05:26 pm »
Thanks for all the great comments everyone!

Al

morganc

« Reply #17 on: 10 Aug 2021, 05:59 pm »
Digital Audio Company 2-Cherry and Megaschino were both stellar when combined with a Don Sachs Tube Pre.  Highly recommended !

abomwell

« Reply #18 on: 10 Aug 2021, 06:47 pm »
At first I was concerned about the heat from the First Watt amp as I live in Tucson. But it appears the heat, at idle, would be about equivalent to the amount of heat two people would add to the room. Not bad really.

Al

franSSS

« Reply #19 on: 11 Aug 2021, 06:52 am »
At first I was concerned about the heat from the First Watt amp as I live in Tucson. But it appears the heat, at idle, would be about equivalent to the amount of heat two people would add to the room. Not bad really.

Al

And when it is running at moderate operating levels?