Ambience Tweeter Damaged!!

htradtk

Ambience Tweeter Damaged!!
« on: 4 Sep 2009, 02:36 pm »
Greetings Gentlemen (and Ladies),

This is my first post is a great while, however I am a regular reader of this forum. I find reading the topics of this forum with great interest. I am a happy owner of the VR-5 Anniversary. It's hard to believe that I have owned my Annies for almost a year now. I'm still amazed by the sound they produce, seems like my soundstage gets bigger and bigger every time I listen to them.

Now for the bad news, the other day I was checking around the backs of my speakers to ensure that everything looked OK. Well, my heart dropped when I noticed that both of my rear ambience tweeter domes were smashed in!!! I'm still trying to figure out how this could have happened. I take great care of my equipment. The only thing I can think of is the one of my young nephews were around back touching them at a recent family gathering. This makes me wonder: How come these tweeters have no grills? Maybe Albert and Joe can answer this question.

Here's my question to all of you: Is there a way to repair them? I would appriciate any help you can give me. Thanks in advance!!

Enjoy the music,
Henry

WGH

Re: Ambience Tweeter Damaged!!
« Reply #1 on: 4 Sep 2009, 02:52 pm »
The tweeters really do look like giant buttons, I have to keep an eye on my non-audiophile friends when they come over. You can try to suck the domes out with a vacuum hose, there is a thread mentioning this solution.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=59644.0

Wayne

bentknee

« Reply #2 on: 4 Sep 2009, 03:00 pm »
   Hi Henry,
 This is not a big problem. I had the same thing on some Dynaudio speakers years ago. Sometimes you can work the dome from the outside in and pop them back out. I was able to do so with the Dynaudio's. The vacuum thing should work also.

Blessings, Bob 

Pez

« Reply #3 on: 4 Sep 2009, 03:01 pm »
The vacuum method is the preferred one if it works.  A last resort one (the hair dryer one frightens me a bit!) is using a piece of tape. One that is not too tacky and one that will not leave residue on the driver, and carefully sticking it to the most depressed part of the tweeter and carefully pulling the tape which should pop the tweeter back out. Scotch tape seems to be the right tackiness for the job. I have done this a few times (working at a high traffic a/v store you learn these tricks because little hands WILL ruin anything they touch. :wink: )

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #4 on: 4 Sep 2009, 05:30 pm »
Henry,

I got sick at my stomach just reading your post.  Little hands strike again!  If you use the tape method, you might want to use the blue-colored masking tape.  It has lower adhesion properties....and if you opt for the vacuum method, you might be better off using one that has an adjustable vacuum setting...like for draperies and such.  Good luck my friend.

Gavin

billc

« Reply #5 on: 4 Sep 2009, 11:50 pm »
My little nephew did this to both my Hiquphon tweeters.  I was stunned.
But, per some advice from follow audiophiles, I used blue masking tape (used for painting, and not tremendously sticky) to gentle adhere pieces to the tweeter dome and slowly pull it back out. 

It took about 15 minutes and they were both good as new.  I was afraid to try the vacuum method, because I was afraid too much suction might tear the dome fabric. 

The blue masking tape worked GREAT.  Highly recommended.  YMMV, of course.

Bill

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 5 Sep 2009, 02:23 am »
Hey there's an echo in here  :lol: :lol: :lol:

htradtk

« Reply #7 on: 5 Sep 2009, 02:47 pm »
Greetings everyone!

First, thanks to everyone for the helpful tips, greatly appriciated!
Second, I decided to try the masking tape method. The right speaker was
a breeze, only one piece of tape was used. On the left speaker, it took a few swipes of tape. Both domes are back to their normal shape with no noticable wrinkles!!! :D

Thanks again, enjoy the music!!
Henry

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 5 Sep 2009, 03:03 pm »
Henry,

Now construct a perimeter chain link fence with razor wire  :guns:

Pez

« Reply #9 on: 5 Sep 2009, 03:09 pm »
So glad that worked out for you. I actually prefer the tape method myself. I know other a'philes seem to prefer the vacuum method. This is what make AC so great. We share your pain and offer solutions.  :thumb: